So I was curious, when choosing new pickups to put on a guitar, would it be better to work with the natural accoustics of the guitar, and say get pick ups with alot of low end if the guitar has a lot of low end, or would it be better to compensate for it's shortfalls? (Or does it not largely matter?)
It honestly depends on what you're looking for.

I mean, if I had an Alder guitar, and wanted a warmer, fatter sound, I stick a humbucker in the bridge with an Alnico 2 magnet, like a Seymour Duncan SH-11 Custom Custom to warm it up. But If I wanted more treble, maybe I'd put a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB in the bridge.

Need help picking pickups out?

What's your budget? What's your playing style? What amp do you play through? What guitar would these pickups be going into? And...Why do you feel new pickups/what do you feel is lacking in your sound?
Haha, ok, so it was mainly out of curiousity, but I guess it couldn't hurt to get some suggestions.

Ok, so, basically, I was messing with my first electric guitar (the one I learned to play six-string on) and realized that the neck was pretty decent, and perhaps it would be worth upgrading to a backup/second gigable guitar.

Mmm, this would be at some point in the future, so budget isn't super strict, so as long as it isn't insane, I could consider it. (So let's say, modest, but not high end.)

I'm mainly looking at playing alternative. My main guitar is a Strat, so perhaps something more aggressive, but not to the point of only being good for metal.

Haha, the guitar it would be going into is a cheap Austin strat copy found here

Well, the pickups are horribly cheap (the guitar was on sale for $110, new), and rather weak, fairly quacky, and just rather "ugh."
Hwere do ya live? Guitarfetish.com offers good, yet very affordable pickups.

Oh yeah, you forgot, what amp do you use?

I actually have an Austin that I heavily modded, I actually they're really constructed. 3 piece body made of what seems to be Northern Ash (heavy Strat, more middy than trebley.),I've going to refinished my neck, and I think it'll be good to go.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Hwere do ya live? Guitarfetish.com offers good, yet very affordable pickups.

Oh yeah, you forgot, what amp do you use?

I actually have an Austin that I heavily modded, I actually they're really constructed. 3 piece body made of what seems to be Northern Ash (heavy Strat, more middy than trebley.),I've going to refinished my neck, and I think it'll be good to go.

I live in the US, Arizona to be specific.

And I'm using a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
Wow, those sound really promising, and are alot less expensive then I was expecting.
And, yeah, it is routed HSH.

Do you happen to know what bridge/tremolo I would need to replace the one that's already one it? (I think it might look super awesome with black hardware.)
hey.

forsaknazrael could you help me picking pickups out?

i have thought about getting EMG'S the zack wylde set? i dont know tho.

my budget is anything really say anything up to £130ish
my playing style is liek rock, to metal to a nice clean sound. like My chemical romance, funeral for a friend, enter shikari is the major one i want to sound like.like a metal hard rock. hard to explain lol.

i play through a Marhsall MG100 DFX Link Found here

the pickups will be going into a Epiphone G400 Gothic black Found Here

or i might just put new ones into a Fender Strat so it will make a good backup/second guitar. the strat has h a humbucker in the bridge and two single coils in the middle and neck (Sort of like this one )

i feel my sound is lacking clarity, cleaness.. like it is too muffled... like you know how metal players can play solo's and heavy rythmn parts with out it being too messy or distorted. thats what i want..

it might just be my amp but i love the setting i have my amp at. i think its just the pickups that aren't picking the guiatr up as claerly as they could?

thanks, mcnic2005
Quote by mcnic2005
hey.

forsaknazrael could you help me picking pickups out?

i have thought about getting EMG'S the zack wylde set? i dont know tho.

my budget is anything really say anything up to £130ish
my playing style is liek rock, to metal to a nice clean sound. like My chemical romance, funeral for a friend, enter shikari is the major one i want to sound like.like a metal hard rock. hard to explain lol.

i play through a Marhsall MG100 DFX Link Found here

the pickups will be going into a Epiphone G400 Gothic black Found Here

or i might just put new ones into a Fender Strat so it will make a good backup/second guitar. the strat has h a humbucker in the bridge and two single coils in the middle and neck (Sort of like this one )

i feel my sound is lacking clarity, cleaness.. like it is too muffled... like you know how metal players can play solo's and heavy rythmn parts with out it being too messy or distorted. thats what i want..

it might just be my amp but i love the setting i have my amp at. i think its just the pickups that aren't picking the guiatr up as claerly as they could?

thanks, mcnic2005

Well, first off, it is just your amp. Marshall MGs are pretty lame. And an amp is about 80% of your tone, technique aside.

Secondly, don't get EMGS if you're just playing through an MG. EMGs won't be driving the amp's preamp the way they're designed to. It'd be a waste of money. I'd just save up and just get a good amp for your purposes. Make a thread in GGA to see what would be good for you.