Alright, so I'm in a band with three bassists, and we're looking to add a fourth...

my question is: should we designate two of us to be lead bass, and two to be rhythm? Or should there only be one lead bass?

there are no guitars or drums btw. Only basses.
hmm that sounds interesting. no drums at all? not sure what to tell you. You should just stick to three. have 1 do rhythm and 2 do dual leads
thats dumb, your dumb. that is all
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
You know how awesome that is? 100%

You should get a percussion bassist (repeated slaps, pops and stuff)
Lead bassist
Rhythm bassist
A bass that only uses wah and talkbox stuff

Screw singing.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Washburn Acoustic
Jay Turser Bass
Panasonic SX-KC211 Keyboard
BOSS DS-2 Turbo Distortion
BOSS AW-3 Dynamic Wah (Fixed!)
Roland Micro-Cube
Randall RB30XM Bass Amp
Tascam DP-01FX Digital Recorder
I really doubt that will work, but if you want my opinion then do 2 lead, 1 rhythm, 1 who does both lead and rhythm dependding on the song.

That would be cool to have like dueling bass solos though...
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
Quote by leftybassdude

agreed.
**RIP In the Van on the Comeback Road**

Quote by confusius
You're going to have to go to the doctor. He is going to ram his finger up your ass and the rest you can imagine. It will be severly painful you are most likely to die in the process. Enjoy.
As a bassist and active defender of bass awesomeness, that just seems like a terrible idea altogether.
Quote by TastyMooglePie
actually I got a call right now, three more bassists want to join....should I let them?

Let me join too!
Gear
Washburn Acoustic
Jay Turser Bass
Roland Micro-Cube
Randall RB30XM Bass Amp
Quote by TastyMooglePie
actually I got a call right now, three more bassists want to join....should I let them?

Definitely not. I play bass, I like bass, but that is just overkill.
Quote by soulflyV
find les claypool and pay him excessivly large amounts of money to play lead bass in ur band and then have 4 basses and then learn to play big bottom by spinal tap =p
Quote by bpoeoanry
go back to sleep
Waking up with boobs? Is there a visine for that.
Quote by RickGardiner

Lead bassist
Rhythm bassist

Screw singing.

I second this guy.
Moar?
well, I was going to reject those three bassists, but in the end I just let them in. I did kick one of the bassists out because he was rambling on about how I was "****ing crazy" and how I "have no goddamn idea how so say NO". Then he suggested going on guitar, so I told him to pack his **** and GTFO. Good call? or will I regret that?
Quote by TastyMooglePie
well, I was going to reject those three bassists, but in the end I just let them in. I did kick one of the bassists out because he was rambling on about how I was "****ing crazy" and how I "have no goddamn idea how so say NO". Then he suggested going on guitar, so I told him to pack his **** and GTFO. Good call? or will I regret that?

You should've strangled him, called up the Grim Reaper, then sold his soul for more bassist
Gear
Washburn Acoustic
Jay Turser Bass
Roland Micro-Cube
Randall RB30XM Bass Amp
Quote by RickGardiner
You should've strangled him, called up the Grim Reaper, then sold his soul for more bassist

Hey man...don't fear the reaper.
Moar?
That's a cool idea. I think it would work if you do it right. It would be kind of like a mix between those 4 man singing groups (I forget what they're called) and a full band.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Quote by CM_X5
That's a cool idea. I think it would work if you do it right. It would be kind of like a mix between those 4 man singing groups (I forget what they're called) and a full band.

quartets.

Also, as much as I believe it is overkill, Being a bassist myself I do have to say that the idea is appealing to me. However you really should have some form of percussion. Either a percussion bassist (slap, pop, heavy muting) or just pick up a drummer. Drummers and bassists work well together anyway. Gotta love a band that's heavy on the rhythym section.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by Beast_Within
quartets.

Also, as much as I believe it is overkill, Being a bassist myself I do have to say that the idea is appealing to me. However you really should have some form of percussion. Either a percussion bassist (slap, pop, heavy muting) or just pick up a drummer. Drummers and bassists work well together anyway. Gotta love a band that's heavy on the rhythym section.

Or better, a drummer that only uses Bass drums...
Quote by soulflyV
Quote by RickGardiner

Lead bassist
Rhythm bassist

Screw singing.

Maybe instead of a bassist that does wah and talkbox and stuff like that, have him play what the rhythym bassist plays but in fifths.

Sounds pretty interesting, post some recordings

Recordings or it didn't (isn't) happen (ing)
Last edited by demonofthenight at Jul 28, 2007,
Quote by leftybassdude

You should die

and to the threadstarter, you should definatly get a drummer
and a four bassists band is not a bad idea, you can never be too creative.
I think an all bass band is a sweet idea, but I can't imagine needingm ore than three.

Also imagine composing the music, it's gonna be a unique enough experience as it is, input from 7 different people is gonna turn this into a pile of **** awfully quick. Keep it to a nice tight trio and compose your pieces carefully.
Quote by TastyMooglePie
>_< Oh god, just create an army of bassists...Go on you already have 3....But curiousity is annoying the hell out of me. Recordings? :P
I've always wanted to do something like what you're doing, it sounds awesome!

Post some music up.
You need a bassist who can sweep pick arpeggio's at 500bpm, sixteenth notes.

Then, we shall talk.
Quote by Jackolas
You need a bassist who can sweep pick arpeggio's at 500bpm, sixteenth notes.

Then, we shall talk.

lmao

ill give this thing a shot because im actually curious now to hear what it sounds like. you should put a recording. three is enought though, i cant imagine you needing more. song writing would be hell.
**RIP In the Van on the Comeback Road**

Quote by confusius
You're going to have to go to the doctor. He is going to ram his finger up your ass and the rest you can imagine. It will be severly painful you are most likely to die in the process. Enjoy.
Entire bass band FTW!

Should have drums though.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club