Page 1 of 6
I will be building a strat style carved top neck through guitar. the neck wood will be maple/mahogany/maple/mahogany/maple(5 piece neck). The top will be book matched curly maple. the body will be mahogany. the hardware is going to be black, and the finish will probably be natural with maybe the top dyed blue. hardware will probably be guitarfetish bridge gotoh tuners(love these) and whatever pickups i have lieing around

what i have done:

Glued neck together

Book matched top

planned out rough cut of neck

tomorow i will cut out the wings for the body and get them planed to size. i also may cut out the neck shape depending on how much time i have(and if i can get a truss rod router bit cant do this one with the saw because it is a strat style neck and not an angled headstock, wanted to try something different.).
Last edited by carousel182 at Jul 28, 2007,
Nice job. That's the kind of flame I love- totally uneven!

I love the GF gotoh tuners, too.

And you should try a scarf joint.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Sounds sweet, I would of preferred alder or ash being a strat and all but its your build....just curious what kinda headstock you gonna do, pre-CBS or CBS?
thanks

tubab0y-ive already done scarf joints i dont know if i wanna do another on this build i kind of like the fender style headstock
If you've done scarf joints before, that's cool. Lots of people are scared of doing scarf joints (I don't know why) but they're actually better.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
yea alot of people think that scarf joints are alot harder than they really are, all it takes is preparation and planning you need to know exactly how to glue it up before you go for it. before i jump into things and get this thing done id like to maybe do a test run of the carved top. im not 100% sure on what kind of carve i wanna do.

fender_fiend08:i think it will be a pre-cbs headstock

also i think im gonna get a rosewood board for fretboards, dont think maple would be too good with this. right now my choices are curly maple, birdseye maple, zebrawood, and rosewood for fretboards.

i think that im gonna do a radius of about 12-15 on this ones fretboard, wanna try something different.

im not sure about what kind of inlaying im gonna do, probably just dots, and maybe a logo.
I always like 12" radius. And carved tops are really easy if you take your time. But I might practice on a piece of scrap wood before you start whacking away at that piece of wood.

I would say no for maple fretboard, between the top and the FB that's a lot of maple.

And if it's a strat, you're basically required to do dots. Little off-center ones might be cool, though.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
yea you know those ones that arent in the middle of the fretboard. they are kind of on the side of the fretboard? i might try one of those.
After much searching, I found this:

Those are what I was thinking.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
I'm not a big fan of plastic binding either.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
You could do a PRS-type faux binding.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
yea i got the mahogany for the wings planed now, its a real nice piece ill post pics later
If you're staining the top, faux bindings are easy- just do a sharp edge and tape it so the edge isn't stained.

Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
tubab0y thanks for all of the great suggestions so far your really helping me out with all of your ideas, i think i am going to go for the faux binding it looks very easy to achieve and it looks like a good fit for this guitar. that looks pretty similar to the carve i am trying to achieve however i dont know if my maple top is that thick only 1/2 inch, well see im not going fora really dramatic carve anyway
XibanezedgeX: im not sure how easy it would be to get ahold of an ebony fretboard and i dont feel like ordering an already made one because i have all of the jigs to make my own. also i like the look ofrosewood and i think i could get ahold of some easily
It's probably only a 1/2" top, it's just the way PRS carves it.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!

thats the type of carve i'm going for prs 513 i guess your right maybe it is only a 1/2" top

here are pictures of the woods that are going to be used for this project minus the top, i also included a picture of the template i will be using for the body.
This should be fun.

Are you making it all back to front and weird like your other one was meant to be (from memory?)

Like you built a right-handed strat to play left handed because that's what you're used to?

Or am I getting confused with someone else? Haha
ordered a router bit to for truss rods, the truss rod, and the gotoh tuners

edit: another thing i did was make another top. its a really nice looking top im not sure if itll be used on this or on something else. pictures tommorow
Last edited by carousel182 at Jul 31, 2007,
okay i got everything but i ordered the wrong size truss rod so i placed another order and i added some abalone for an inlay cant wait to get this started.
Good luck...I can't wait to see how this one rolls out.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
neck planed to appropriate width where top will go

neck with truss rod channel routed headstock area planed (still need to attach mahogany wings so that the board will be wide enough for the strat headstock)

template ontop of body and neck being glued

how everthing fits together
its starting to look like a guitar now. i have rosewood coming in the mail. also im gonna get the headstock cutout all the routing done, the carve, and then im pretty closed to finished
Front

Side

Back

Neck
Ah, a lefty I see. This thing is looking REALLY nice. Keep up the good work and keep posting pics!

Calum
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
thanks guys, im gonna keep posting more pics tommorow i plan to route the pickup cavitys the control cavitys and also start the carve this things gonna get done pretty fast i hope
nice build man, got some skillz yo'.

If I may chuck in my 2cents.. I've always thought ot would look cool to have dot inlays going on a diagonal from the low E side of fret1 to the High E side of fret 21/24 however many frets you're doing.

And maybe just 2 smaller dots closer together than usual for the 12th.. Like still in the diagonal line..

Anyway really nice build, neck-thru, mahogany, maple top strat should sound pretty killer!
How hard do you reckon it'd be to do a tele-style neck-thru in wenge?
Lol, I just want a guitar that looks a bit like my bass.
I just love to wax that thing.
(you can tell I'm a warwick player...)
Maybe I'll just make a top out of it. I don't know.
I haven't even built a guitar yet.
I don't even know if I can get wenge here lol.
Just an idea I guess.
sweet build dude! mine aint going so well. (even tho im only re-finishing one...) *sigh* you got talent, hopefully I'll be able to do something like this by the time I finish my 3 years of technology GCSE. lol.
Member of the Bugera Users Militia

Quote by JagerSlushy
Go with Ibanez...Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.