I've been looking into theory over some time..as I have began digging deeper into my books..I noticed something called keys,,I have a few books called the "guitar grimoire"...I for instance look up the key of B major...I see a few fretboard diagrams...now I see one that is called "complete fretboard" which shows the key of b major in it's entirety..now if I stay within the black dots that outline whcih notes are in the key..will it matter which sets of black dots I use? or should I look at the diagrams that seperate the key into different diagrams with roman numerals above them...what do those roman numerals mean?....and how do they work? can I mix keys? and how will the said roman numerals help me compose a song?
Death..Is Just The Beginning..
Oh dear. Keys are central to all music. ALL music. The exception is chromatics, but they don't generally sound good. Keep reading is all I can say.
Not to confuse things on you here, but you don't neccissarily HAVE to stay in the same key, but generally you do stay within the same key. And you can use any of those boxes you speak of, or the entire set of "dots" (the notes in that key) over the entire fretboard. Generally speaking, you uses those "boxes" for just staying within a similar tonal area, which can be good, and it can also be bad. And more on changing keys... You see you can change keys mid song, but it needs to at least be a "relative key", which just (basicly) means it's going to have all of their notes be the same. A relative key is a key which starts from one point of another key and goes off from there on it's own. Like from C major, you can take it's 5th G, and in some point of a C major key song, when you reach a G note or chord, you can take off from there playing G Major (and JFYI, G is the Dominate 5th of the C key, so it's a VERY strong note/chord when in the context of C).

I'm not trying to confuse anyone here, and if I did... Apologies. www.musictheory.net is a good site to remedy this . Music theory isn't (at least at first) as difficult as it is made out to be. In fact, it's TONS easier than not learning it , LMAO.
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Jul 28, 2007,
+1
good explanation, the site is good as well.

Keys aren't about strict rules, otherwise we wouldn't have dissonance or chromaticism for example.
LoL just a lil bit full on for a beginner, just keep reasearching, work hard look for good books... maybe hang with some players who are more advanced than you
okay. easy. you can basically play any SCALE over any ONE KEY using a mode. it is essential to know if you are major minor or exotic. the chord progression is what matters when choosing a scale to solo in. PM me for more info. or just find a book called guitar one lesson lab 1995-2000. its really really good.
TONE FREAK!!!
It works like this: If your playing Em, C, G, and D chords as the rhythm track then when you want to solo you'd come in with an Em scale. You need to look up some scales and find where the root note is in them and then find the E note on the guitar, match it up with where the root note is, and your set.
The times they are a changin'.....
Thanks alot guys...but please do keep replying..this type of positive feedback really REALLY helps...
Death..Is Just The Beginning..