Alright, I think I'm gonna build a guitar. I plan it on being string through, single pickup. I will be using a old neck I got lying around.
Only things I lack are, the string through ferrules, the wood, the nut, and a router bit.
I plan on it being explorer or a rhoads V shape.
It will be a Black with white net paintjob and a southern cross.
Im going to recess the tune o matic bridge though, that way I won't have to deal with a neck angle.
So what do you think? Any flaws you see in my plan?
Why's it gonna be hard? I just thought it was time consuming
if you don't have the tools for routing and stuff, check out warmoth. unless you're sure you want to cut the body yourself.

you can get pre-built rhoads V and explorer bodies i think... also they let you choose the routings etc..
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
O yeah, I got a router, and a jig saw, so I'll be good. I just got to get a router bit.
good luck with it, just take your time.

What Goes Up

Must Come Down
Will you give it to me after it's finished? Since you're just building it for fun...
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
What wood are you going to use? I'm coming to the end of my project, and my jigsaw was struggling to cut my 1 3/4" wood, and it's pretty soft wood. You have to be careful with a jigsaw because the blade likes to bend on thick wood, so it's easy to stray offline without realising it.

From my experience, i feel it's very important to make templates for everything you are going to route out. I've got a really cheap router and it did the job fine with properly measured templates.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Last edited by Pete Griffin at Jul 28, 2007,
If your router struggles, do multiple passes- 1/2" is easier than 1 3/4".
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I might practice on plywood, but I plan on using mahogany, once I find a local store that has it. Do you think Lowes or the Home Depot sell mahogany?

Edit: I'm planing on it being around 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" thick. Which thickness would be easier and better?
Last edited by rockr09 at Jul 28, 2007,
No.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
well 1 1/2 is easier to saw, but there's probably not too much difference. I'd use what ever you like the feel of.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Anybody know how deep I'll have to recess the T.O.M. so I don't have to angle the neck?
You don't have to angle the neck to use a tuno without recess. Just cut the neck pocket shallow.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
you can try to get your wood at a local lumber yard, that would be cheapest, or if not try here A & M Wood. Last place to look would be at warmoth because they sell body blanks aswell
Yeah, you can do it so that the fretboard sits higher than the body and you don't have to recess it.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!