ive noticed that when i play i seem to anchor alot, and i never realized that it was an actual technique. i thought it was just a bad habit i developed from never having a real guitar instructor. but my question is is it bad to anchor alot? is there any other method or substitute for anchoring, like resting my wrist on the bridge or anything? thanks
Ive never noticed a problem with it personally, in some passages it works out easier to anchor a finger or two just below the bridge on my guitar, helps me to stop tensing up.
It's not bad per se, but's it not really good either. It's just a bit lazy, but I do it quite often
Quote by NightFang
ive noticed that when i play i seem to anchor alot, and i never realized that it was an actual technique. i thought it was just a bad habit i developed from never having a real guitar instructor. but my question is is it bad to anchor alot? is there any other method or substitute for anchoring, like resting my wrist on the bridge or anything? thanks

Nothing is bad about it, I find my self doing it in some situations, it's perfectly okay. It's actually better then resting your wrist on your bridge, because if you're like me or ever get a guitar like mine with a floating bridge then you can't rest your hand on it.
i always have my pinky anchored around my bridge pickup, but its not really grabbing hard just really keeping my hand from slipping
Depends. Some people recommend it, and some teachers even tell their students to anchor when sweep picking. If it makes you feel uncomfortable or you know it's making your playing harder, then stop it. But if you find it good and helpful, then just do it.
Quote by rabidguitarist
safe mode is like safe sex. there are so many things you can't do.