Page 1 of 2
It's true. Wherever you're from, if you're singing in English you sing with an American accent. Where did it come from and why?

I do it to. Is it wrong? Should people not sing in their own natural accent?

However something tells me singing in an English accent would sound like a Two Ronnies sketch.
Quote by mustardman
Granted, they're crap, but they're decent.
If people sang in their natural accents, scandinavian metal would probably be good for a laugh.
I'm a communist. Really.
I'm from Leeds.

Singing im my own accent would sound like that Crusha advert with the cats in a field.

If people sang in their natural accents, scandinavian metal would probably be good for a laugh.

Ever heard Tuomas in Nightwish sing?
Quote by Vermintide
I'm from Leeds.

Singing im my own accent would sound like that Crusha advert with the cats in a field.

The 'Add Milk or we'll CRUSHA!' one?

...mix it with the Scandinavian metal
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
You probably sound American when you sing because you lose your accent while your singing, and Americans don't really have much of an accent.
most of the time because the American accent is easier to slide from word to word, as their accept is much more casual and laid back about pronouncing certain letters.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
i was born here
and i wasnt able to speak english for the first five years of my life
i still have a minimal accent
and many times my accent comes through in some specific words
I actually sing in a British accent pretty often.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Its called DICTION, to sing with that somewhat British accent, it softens the vowels and is supposed to be easier on the ears
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
Quote by Vermintide

I've heard he's not very good at it. I don't know too much about Nightwish, as I've only heard Once (and Marco sings in that one), so what songs does he sing in?
Quote by Raziel2p

Sonata Arctica.
Own a PS3?
Add me: ILOVECHICKEN
Always wondered that as well. I remember th first time I heard Matt Bellamy talk. I was like "wtf?" o.O
Not entirely true, when I attempt to sing I can hear my accent. Listen to this and you can hear the accent >>> http://youtube.com/watch?v=OptSQM8VRzY
I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A poor Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!

Dave Mustaine Kill List:
Draken
WinterMadness79
Dirge Humani
MrGuitar123
RHCP94
Coins
Magnus_Maximus
The Kooks don't have an American accent, or lack thereof. I guess it just depends on your style.
If morning's a bitch with open arms, night's a girl who's gone too far.

OMGWTFBBQ
Eh? Most of the bands I listen to who are not American don't sing in US English.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by Raziel2p

It is anyway.

Some people still have a good amount of their accent when they sing. You can hear it in some Beatles songs. Also, most punk bands you can tell when they're British, like the Sex Pistols, the Clash, Cock Sparrer, Sham 69, etc.
Dizzee Rascal don't sound american
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
I actually disagree because most English bands do sound English and have no resemblance to American bands eg.

Arctic Monkeys
The Libertines
etc.

Admittedly, most metal bands do sound American- BFMV (Welsh)

If you want some true English accent try some Dizzee Rascal or Klashnekoff!
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
If you've heard the streets "sing", you'll know why we don't sing in our own accents. Actually, i don't sing in an american accent, i just sing how i'd talk and seem to manage fine. Think, what was singing like before (non-native) americans existed? (of course there's now way we'll know, USA has been around longer than recording technology)
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Because everyone knows America is better.

But we won't go into that or why it's completely wrong =P

And on the singing, I've never heard an English singer sing American.
Quote by Dæmönika
Quote by italynlprkn
yo tambien
What the hell's a tambien?
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
its like basic math. 1 + -1 = 1
Quote by hardrock1315
It is anyway.

Some people still have a good amount of their accent when they sing. You can hear it in some Beatles songs. Also, most punk bands you can tell when they're British, like the Sex Pistols, the Clash, Cock Sparrer, Sham 69, etc.

Apart from the Sex Pistols that's a great list of bands!
I always thought it was because I listened to lots of American bands, but if I sang in my accent I'd sound like a tosser...more of a tosser.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Quote by alliwant
I always thought it was because I listened to lots of American bands, but if I sang in my accent I'd sound like a tosser...more of a tosser.

Ohhh yeahhhhhh wee haggis bonny lasss!
Quote by Bayonetwork
The Kooks don't have an American accent, or lack thereof. I guess it just depends on your style.

yes, but the kooks are also a band that I would like to set on fire, and this is coming from someone who is british
www.bebo.com/Re-Ascension - my artist profile! Alternative Rock!

XBOX Live Gamertag: christophe245

Quote by purplegreendave
I like the way 3 of the tags on this video you found are:
gay anus sex

Not that I'm implying anything - far be it from me to judge
Quote by Jackolas
Ohhh yeahhhhhh wee haggis bonny lasss!

Just in case of any confusion...I'm actually a guy, but incidentally I get mistaken for a girl from behind a lot...and despite the fact that I'm Scottish I've lost most of my accent because of hanging around with too many English folk...

EDIT:
Quote by 01chardw
yes, but the kooks are also a band that I would like to set on fire, and this is coming from someone who is british

I share your sentiments.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Quote by Vermintide

Nightwish? I'd probably laugh anyways.
I'm a communist. Really.
I'm trying to think how Korpiklaani's singing sound haha, sounds a bit irish lol
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
Especially Shirley Manson from Garbage. When she sings, she sounds like she could have come out of Southern CA, but when she talks, her Scottish accent is insanely thick.
Ian Brown hasn't got an american accent when he sings.
Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
Ever heard Tony Kakko? Don't know if it's a scandinavian accent or just weird pronounciation.

Also Pink Floyd sings in british accent, at least in the verse to Comfortably Numb.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Page 1 of 2