Hey there I have been playing around 5 years and I have been hampered by an improper technique the entire time. I was wondering if I subscribed to online lessons if they would help me out at all.
I dont know about subscribing to pay ones, :P

but with some hard practice yourself, and a browse through the UG lesson section you should (hopefully) finbd yourself improving quickly.

Laso what do you mean by improper technique? picking, fretting, tapping, legato, what?
I want to feel youre body breaking, and shaking, and
left in the cold,
I want to feel youre conscience making, a change to fix
this dying soul....
I used to hold it with my middle finger i dont remember exactly what type of picking motion i used. It was fine till I started trying to learn some faster material, which was impossible with my technique. So I have been struggling the past few months in order to discover proper technique
hold the pick between your thumb and your middle finger?
left in the cold,
this dying soul....
I used to, now I hold it between my thumb and index. I have learned to used only wrist for motion and I seem to be progressing, but I also thought the same of the other techniques I have been experimenting the last few months, only to hit a dead end.
online lessons are great. as mentioned already, paying for them may not be necessary. if you want to learn music theory, which i do not have an opinion on because you should only learn what you want, then you should maybe buy a book or something. I learned theory in school but all my guitar lessons were online
Carvin DC-135
PRS SE Soapbar II

Vox AD30VT

Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Dunlop Crybaby

Member #3 of the Carvin Club (PM MESAexplorer to join)
fair play. Id just work on picking speed excercises tbh

it never seems to make much difference which fingers i hold the pick with.

When im playing really fast chromatic runs (like 11th-ed 16th notes at 156 bpm) I find it easier to use my thumb and middle finger. John petruccis wild stringdom book has a couple of really good picking excercises in it I could send you tabs for If you wanted.
left in the cold,
this dying soul....
It is REALLY hard to learn theory on your own. Even with a book, I couldn't commit to it. I had to take lessons to get that.

However, for fun licks that are easy to learn and popular, I really liked Freelicks.net.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by Lightitup
It is REALLY hard to learn theory on your own. Even with a book, I couldn't commit to it. I had to take lessons to get that.

Oh, well I had a teacher to help me, but I just figured a book would work. Sorry for the mis-info
Carvin DC-135
PRS SE Soapbar II

Vox AD30VT

Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Dunlop Crybaby

Member #3 of the Carvin Club (PM MESAexplorer to join)
i need msn or something for that.

add me on MSN if you have it, despoiler2000@hotmail.com

or alternatively i can email it to you if you PM me your address
left in the cold,
this dying soul....
Quote by jackal20
Oh, well I had a teacher to help me, but I just figured a book would work. Sorry for the mis-info

No mis-info, just personal opinion. I couldn't do it, but I'm sure there are people who can.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Ive learned all the theory i have without a teacher ^^
left in the cold,
this dying soul....
The ones on youtube are the best, because they are free and they teach you some good stuff, there is one that I am subscribed to which is brilliant, I will link you when I find it
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
You could subscribe to lessons with a teacher one-on-one, in person even! I do it, and I find it a lot more helpful than the alternatives.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál