Ok so i just bought a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier which sounds great. So I wanted to learn a thing or two about tubes since all of my past amps have been solid state. Surfing through Musician'sFriend I see three main tube names with some variations:
6L6, EL34, 12AX7.
What do the different tube types do and which brands/types sound better. Also two of my tubes dont light up on the right side. WHY???
If you can answer any or all of the questions or give me ANY other info about tubes I would appreciate it.
Quote by ledzeppelin308
Ok so i just bought a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier which sounds great. So I wanted to learn a thing or two about tubes since all of my past amps have been solid state. Surfing through Musician'sFriend I see three main tube names with some variations:
6L6, EL34, 12AX7.
What do the different tube types do and which brands/types sound better. Also two of my tubes dont light up on the right side. WHY???
If you can answer any or all of the questions or give me ANY other info about tubes I would appreciate it.

6l6 and el34 are power tubes. 6l6 have more head room, sound more fender-ish.

el34 break up sooner, sound more like a marshall.

12ax7s are pre-amp tubes.

the two tubes that aren't lighting up are the rectifier tubes. i doubt you have them activated, and are using the diode rectification.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile