When ever im reading through here and someone asks a question about an amp, 99.9% of the time i hear "Get a tube, solidstate sucks".

Out of curiosity and to see if your not all just haters, are there any good solidstate amps. Also list if they are any good for cleans and blues since ive been told SS are only professionally used for metal.
for blues? any vox valvetronix amp.

other good SS amps are the roland jazz choruses, madison solace, and line 6 vetta IIs.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by JC13
Most SS amps are not very good, or ever used professionally. When they are used live, they generally aren't used for cleans, because their clean sound usually isn't even par with a nice tube clean. The bands that DO use SS amps generally are metal, and want that 10 treble 10 bass, 0 mid sound.

actually SS amps see heavy use for jazz because they get very loud with little break up. they can remain so clean, in fact, that it colors your tone significantly less than a tube amp.

dimebag darrell is the only guitarest to use a SS for metal as far as i'm aware.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by J6strings21fret
Marshall JCM's..... Good stuff, mucho money.

ULTIMATE PHAIL

1. Marshall JCMs are tube amps.
2. You don't need the apostrophe, it's plural not possessive.
3. $500 used on ebay. not mucho money.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

what SS amp did Dimebag use? outta curiousity. i second the vox statement, mine can replicate the "breaking up" sound on the clean models....sometimes i have to adjust the gain very low just to be able to hear it w/o that extra crunch. but its really great that its affected by ur playing style...(ie. you attack the strings hard it distorts more, hit em softly they dont distort..) really happy that it does that
^ no that amp is a budget amp. it's not that great, but if you like it.

Quote by slash_rocks2005
what SS amp did Dimebag use? outta curiousity. i second the vox statement, mine can replicate the "breaking up" sound on the clean models....sometimes i have to adjust the gain very low just to be able to hear it w/o that extra crunch. but its really great that its affected by ur playing style...(ie. you attack the strings hard it distorts more, hit em softly they dont distort..) really happy that it does that

randall war head.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
^ no that amp is a budget amp. it's not that great, but if you like it.

randall war head.

yea but its better than most ss amps ive used
Pritchard makes amazing SS amps.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
The Roland Jazz Chorus has beautiful cleans, but I think my AC30 beats 'em.

SS amps just do not do the blues well. The Valvetronix ain't bad, but it's a hybrid -which helps- but it's no tube amp.

SS will do the modeling thing, like those high-end Line 6 amps, which I guess is nice if you're in a cover band. Or a wedding band.

They also do the uber high gain stuff well, especially on a budget.

But tubes rule. Get a tube amp.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by tubab0y

I took a look at that site, and listened to a couple clips (even though it's not a great way to get a feel for what the amps does live). And yeah, the clips sounded good.

But then I looked at their prices. Their "simplest amp" sells for $2100??? Yikes! I mean, the clips were nice, but I don't think they sounded any better than a $650 Peavey Delta Blues. And I really wonder how close they'd sound live.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I love solid state. I have an awesome AIWA stereo. My cd player in my car sounds good. My PC. My TV. Oh, never mind, it has a picture tube.
I really like modeling too. I have a great little Casio keyboard.
Seriously for guitar amps tubes always sound better. But I do like the Cubes and Peavey Transtubes.
Vox Valvetronix
Line 6 Vetta IIs (And an older model who's name escapes me, but sounded absolutely awesome)
Roland Cube
Randall Solid States
Roland Jazz Chorus
Fender FM whatever it is.

I find, consistently, that Solid states outperform almost all tube amps when it comes to getting jazz tones. The real exception to this rule, and the only tube amp I've EVER seen in a jazz circuit is the Fender Twin Reverb. Other than that, I see alot of solid state Fenders and Jazz choruses.
Quote by slatsmania
I took a look at that site, and listened to a couple clips (even though it's not a great way to get a feel for what the amps does live). And yeah, the clips sounded good.

But then I looked at their prices. Their "simplest amp" sells for $2100??? Yikes! I mean, the clips were nice, but I don't think they sounded any better than a $650 Peavey Delta Blues. And I really wonder how close they'd sound live.

I know, but the thread is about good SS, not good, cheap SS.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y

cheap is good...lol
what about with lots of pedals. i always figure its kinda stupid to spend 5-600 on a tube, only to have to either buy expensive analog pedals or have my tone desicated with a digital pedal.
I know greg tribbet uses Randall, not sure if theyre SS or tube, sounds great though.
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
Quote by tubab0y

Toshay!

But if someone comes around asking what should they buy with $600, there's still no SS amp that I can recommend.

I know the technology's out there. Vox was actually making some interesting SS amps in the late 60's. Problem is that it's complicated, expensive, and still doesn't sound quite as good as tubes. Maybe this Pritchard can break thru that barrier. Put together their own "Tiny Terror" or something. An affordable great sounding SS amp.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I love my old ROLAND 50-watt DAC amp. I have a couple tube amps too but the ROLAND has a clean they don't.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by slatsmania
Toshay!

But if someone comes around asking what should they buy with $600, there's still no SS amp that I can recommend.

I know the technology's out there. Vox was actually making some interesting SS amps in the late 60's. Problem is that it's complicated, expensive, and still doesn't sound quite as good as tubes. Maybe this Pritchard can break thru that barrier. Put together their own "Tiny Terror" or something. An affordable great sounding SS amp.

As far as I can tell, the biggest problem is that they don't have enough people building, which obviously drives up time and cost.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Sunn alpha 212R. wicked sounding little solid state from back in the 70's, my friend and I used to jam on one in high school.

I have a Kustom KGA 65 right now. i guess its sorta middle of the line SS. I enjoy it a lot, does everything i need it to.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.