What are the main pros and cons of each?

I've heard some bad stuff about Julliard but he didn't go into detail. Any help?
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too
Quote by MIKE_EKIM
????what are they???

Music schools. Colleges really.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
I think Julliard has more talent, but Berklee has more culture.

Up to you really.
I don't really know much about each in detail but, our low brass intstuctor for band camp is going to Julliard on the trombone and piano. He's only 18!!!!!!!! Lucky guy.
Both are really good and hard to get into, Berklee is maybe a little better just because of reputation.

Love the Low end
Yeah, music schools that cost insane amounts of money. To attend Berklee for 1 year = 20,000$, atleast that's what it said on their website.

Berklee is more of a jazz music institute. It was originally built as that but as it's reputation grew and tastes changed and such it now has film and drama courses as well.
I am planning to go to Berklee next fall, so I suppose Berklee, but it just may be because it's only about 35-40 minutes from where I live.
Quote by bimsterfls
I am planning to go to Berklee next fall, so I suppose Berklee, but it just may be because it's only about 35-40 minutes from where I live.

What are you planning on studying?
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too
i think you could find everything you need about music tuition on the net now, if you need motivation and the qualification its great however. Turn you into a broke Jazz player.
Quote by ElephantTalk
i think you could find everything you need about music tuition on the net now, if you need motivation and the qualification its great however. Turn you into a broke Jazz player.

i second that
yeah really, is it worth it? could I really go somewhere with a degree from one of these places?
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too
Quote by The_Okie
yeah really, is it worth it? could I really go somewhere with a degree from one of these places?

'making it big' in music is a lottery i think and that would be like buying thousands of tickets but the odds are in the millions. I am a fulltime musician and do as well without a degree as my friends who have masters degrees...

most people teach or play in functions bands i know...fun and decent money but not great money like law or whatever but what is money compared to your life?

how many of your favourite artists went to music school?.
Last edited by ElephantTalk at Jul 28, 2007,
Quote by ElephantTalk
music is a lottery i think and that would be like buying thousands of tickets but the odds are in the millions. I am a fulltime musician and do as well without a degree as my friends who have masters degrees...

most people teach or play in functions bands i know...fun and decent money but not great money like law or whatever but what is money compared to your life?

how many of your favourite artists went to music school?.

Thats a good point. Your more likely to get a JOB as a musician, IE, studio work, production in television and film, and such, if you go to music collage, but you can be just as successful in a band with our without a degree. If anything you'll be less cause instead of spending time furthering your band, your working 2 jobs to pay tuition and staying up all night studying.

And yea, I'd rather have a job I love and poor money then a job I cant stand and lots of it.
Quote by The_Okie

People don't go to music school to get rich. If you want that go to business school and bore yourself to death for the rest of your wealthy life.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
Quote by NorseGodofRock
Thats a good point. Your more likely to get a JOB as a musician, IE, studio work, production in television and film, and such, if you go to music collage, but you can be just as successful in a band with our without a degree. If anything you'll be less cause instead of spending time furthering your band, your working 2 jobs to pay tuition and staying up all night studying.

having said that however i was music mad at school then my folks were like 'you cant do music for a job' so i chose a business degree which i hated and regret now i am doing music anyway. HOWEVER again, i compared what my friends with degrees knew and there wasnt too much between my self study and theirs.

difficult decision because so many people have degrees now and if you end up with a regular job you will be in the regular pile of workers as opposed to a job specific degree like medicine. as i say my teachers friends and other associates all teach, gig locally, and do some session work.

however yet again!, a degree isnt too important in your whole lifetime its what you do after it so if you chose to do something different later as long as you apply yourself you will succeed.

Good Luck!
Anybody else got info?
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too
julliard is mostly classical, berklee has more jazz

but theyre both huge ripoffs. just practice
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club, PM deadhead313313

People Wouldn't know good music if it hit them in face
- Frank Zappa

Gear:
Carvin CT3
Digitech GNX3
Peavey Classic 30
Julliard is more prestigious, particularly for classical music. Then again, most of Dream Theater and several other notable rock and jazz musicians of today have came out of Berklee.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
dude could you post some of your guitar playing up? I want to hear it to see how good you are; and how far I have to go until i can join julliard or berklee.

dude more popular musicians have come out of Berklee than Julliard but Kyle Gass from Tenacios D attended julliard.

eventually to become a great guitarist you'll have to learn both jazz and classical but it depends on your musical style which one you need first

but i want to hear you music
and will you talk about your auditions and stuff?
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Quote by TDKshorty
dude could you post some of your guitar playing up? I want to hear it to see how good you are; and how far I have to go until i can join julliard or berklee.

dude more popular musicians have come out of Berklee than Julliard but Kyle Gass from Tenacios D attended julliard.

eventually to become a great guitarist you'll have to learn both jazz and classical but it depends on your musical style which one you need first

but i want to hear you music
and will you talk about your auditions and stuff?

Ha, dude I'm a sophomore in high school, but I've been getting some attention in newspapers and stuff for being pretty good. I'm mostly a blues guy, but I'm starting to really get into jazz, not the wankery chromatic jazz, the real smooth stuff. I just wanna play guitar.
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too
you cant get attention in my town unless you play death metal haha but i still love to jam with the death metal bands

throw in a wah solo or two

I never really learned any jazz or anything; I play alot of soulful stuff- John Frusciante. Jimi Hendrix, John Mayer

but im a really huge john frusciante fan

so you haven't auditioned yet? I'm going to audition for Transylvania this spring
theres another college in LA called G.I.T or soemthin right? check that out
R.I.P JIMI

member of the Seinfeld fan club --pm the_experience to join
Berklee is pretty much designed to be so chill you're forced to stay on for extra semesters. Which is cool if you have the money, but most folks don't. I visited and toured and all that before I decided that studying music would destroy my soul.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Quote by VoodooChild15
Berklee is pretty much designed to be so chill you're forced to stay on for extra semesters. Which is cool if you have the money, but most folks don't. I visited and toured and all that before I decided that studying music would destroy my soul.

Ha, why would it destroy your soul?
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too
I plan on going to GIT- its in Hollywood I believe- I guess its the same place.
I'm trying out for Transylvania this year in KY- which is where I live but out of all the 10348302583406q348q06 guitarists that try out less than 10 make it haha so i dnno what to do
Quote by TDKshorty
I plan on going to GIT- its in Hollywood I believe- I guess its the same place.
I'm trying out for Transylvania this year in KY- which is where I live but out of all the 10348302583406q348q06 guitarists that try out less than 10 make it haha so i dnno
what to do

good luck.
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too
Quote by The_Okie
Ha, why would it destroy your soul?

I realized if I had to break it down and study it it would just get mundane and tedious like math or chemistry. Practicing for hours straight and memorizing bits of theory that apply to styles of music I don't even like would completely suck all the joy out of it for me.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Quote by VoodooChild15
I realized if I had to break it down and study it it would just get mundane and tedious like math or chemistry. Practicing for hours straight and memorizing bits of theory that apply to styles of music I don't even like would completely suck all the joy out of it for me.

Yeah.. Understood.
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too