Page 2 of 3
Quote by snuggleblade
saw them with big business at the great american music hall in sf. one of the best shows i have been to in my life. my fav. song is honey bucket of course, but i like all of their songs. i own bullhead, houdini, stoner witch, 26 songs, electroretard, stag, a senile animal, joe preston, gluey porch treatments, hostile ambient takeover and like a zillion more. I have seen them like 5 times and even saw them play with mr. bungle. im special. go me. and king buzzo almost ran me over with a van

i wanna hear that story haha
Muthafvcka.

What's this doing buried down so far?

I might have to get some Melvins downloads up in this bitch.
Quote by DownInAHole.
Melvins freakin' rule.

Never properly listened to them though, since I only have one album.

+1. I only have Houdini, but its a great album. Going Blind rules.
It's gonna be a blue day
Quote by soundgarden1986
Hostile Ambient Takeover and Bullhead are must haves.

Ok. Was going to get Stoner Witch next as it's meant to be one of their bests, but i will see if i can get those too.
It's gonna be a blue day
Quote by perry589
Ok. Was going to get Stoner Witch next as it's meant to be one of their bests, but i will see if i can get those too.

Stone Witch is a bit more "normal" than the albums I reccomended. I know of a site that you can download concerts if you want to see how good they are live.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Stone Witch is a bit more "normal" than the albums I reccomended. I know of a site that you can download concerts if you want to see how good they are live.

Link please
It's gonna be a blue day
"A history of bad men" has got to be one of the most epic, mind-twisting, land-scapey song I've heard in a long time. :O
Just got "Nude With Boots". Finally I can love a Melvins album from start to finish.

I think this may have finally made me a Melvins fan. I'm gonna have to listen to all their albums again.
here's my review of the 2nd day of ATP New York, where the Melvins headlined the 2nd stage on Saturday:

http://www.prefixmag.com/photos/atp-ny-2009-day-2-picsreview/

and here's day 1 if people wanna check that out too (Jesus Lizard, Suicide, Feelies, etc):
http://www.prefixmag.com/photos/atp-ny-2009-day-1-picsreview/

i got a couple of quick shots of Buzzo when i was walking into the 2nd room for Dead Meadow...talked w/ him briefly and he was really nice.

and apparently pitchfork.tv had a hotel room set up for some video recording of bands...a friend of mine caught the Melvins playing "Kicking Machine" in that room w/ about 3 other people. awesomeness.
They are coming here but once again it's 18 and up.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Saw them open up for Down. I'd heard of them before, but never gave them a shot. They were pretty awesome, any ideas on where to start with them?
Quote by FifthHorsemen
Saw them open up for Down. I'd heard of them before, but never gave them a shot. They were pretty awesome, any ideas on where to start with them?

Stoner Witch or Houdini.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Their major label albums are good starting points, that is to say Houdini, Stoner Witch and Stag.

I think I'm becoming obsessed with the Melvins, I could listen to them all day. Their music is at times heavy and slow, at times catchy as hell... most of the time both. It also always possesses that quirkiness that's unique to them. They're like the rock band I never knew I was searching for all the time.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
I'm really surprised no one has brought this up yet, but: the Melvins are a sludge metal band. This discussion belongs in the Metal forum.
Quote by the_jackyl
I'm really surprised no one has brought this up yet, but: the Melvins are a sludge metal band. This discussion belongs in the Metal forum.

I only know their output from Bullhead up to Stag, and I have to agree... and disagree. Bullhead is unquestionably a Sludge album (a weird one at that, too), Lysol also passes as one, but Houdini, Stoner Witch and Stag? I don't think so.

...would you love me?
I would add Hostile Ambient Takeover and The Maggot to that list. *shrug* I dunno, I've always considered them more metal than anything else. They've certainly experimented with a lot of styles, though.

I saw them live with Big Business last year. The highlight was them covering The Star Spangled Banner for the encore.
i'm surprised that the Melvins don't get more attention here...what a great band.

here's my review + photos of the show they played on Sunday:

the merch table had everything but spit guards

it was impossible to get a shot of Dale, but I had a decent line for Coady

Buzzo has captured a soul in his guitar.

i also did an interview w/ the band before they sound-checked...gotta transcribe that next.
^Those are some pretty sweet pictures.

And I love the Melvins. They are definitely an awesome band that has influenced a lot of the bands I like, as well. King Buzzo is just plain awesome. Favorite songs are Boris, the Talking Horse, With Teeth, and the Bloated Pope. They have tons of great songs, though.
thanks Patbuck2. i agree, they've got a TON of great songs...it was nice hearing some of the Lysol material on this set. i would love to hear 'Caped Crusader' from their work w/ Jello, fantastic song.
Buzzo's hair <3

I think this thread would get a fair amount of traffic in Metal, you MRers are just not worthy.
>_>

...would you love me?
Quote by we_built_a_tree
Buzzo's hair <3

I think this thread would get a fair amount of traffic in Metal, you MRers are just not worthy.
>_>

yeah, modern rock is a bit of a weird label for the Melvins, but then again they really can't just be pigeonholed into metal either.
Interestingly enough, the are in the metal forum's recommendation thread.

Anybody else find it disappointing that it's hard to find their music at stores? I've only been able to find two CD's at Best Buy or Barnes and Nobles. I'm going to Chicago soon, though, and I know a cool record shop down there that has some great bootlegs and what not, so they will probably have some Melvins when I go there.
Just saw them Wednesday in Cleveland. Killer set. Took pictures with Buzz and Dale outside before the show.

If I could figure out how to post them I would.
Quote by iwannabesedated
Just saw them Wednesday in Cleveland. Killer set. Took pictures with Buzz and Dale outside before the show.

If I could figure out how to post them I would.

Are they on a digital camera? Can you upload them to your computer? If so, just go to imageshack or any other image url site and put a url on them. Then post the url to the images here.
Upload them, copy the URL and wrap it with (Invalid img) tags. That should do the trick.

...would you love me?
Quote by tinnitus photo
sorry for the delayed response...yeah, i freelance a fair bit for Prefixmag.

Very cool. I'm still mad that I can't find any music stores that sell Melvins albums.