Wanna help me find a good amp for up 800.It doesn't matter if its tube or ss. Its just i know alot of bands just use halfstacks.And if i change my mind im going with the randal halfstack.
well id say a line 6 spider for a solid state, or for something else, a good marshall, neither are stacks though, did you mean that u dont really mind if its a stack or not?
there are a ton of great amps under $800 (you didnt mark currency, so im going with $$). stuff like the peavey classic 30, crate palomino v-32, a used peavey 5150, maybe a used mesa F-30 (i see them cheap on craigslist at times) or a myriad of other amps.

you do not need a half stack. if anything, i would say a head and a 2x12" would be all you need, not a 4x12".
If you can transport your halfstack around easily then why aren't you getting one? IMO 412's sound much fuller then any 212 or 1 speaker combo.

as for a randall stack, I'd look for used. A used 5150 or something. Randalls are solid state are they not? tube would be soo much better dude.

I wouldn;t go totally by what people say on here IMO not very many people know what they are talking about (no offence UG) but yeah, do your own research on youtube, and look at amp reviews. go to a guitar center and try some out. don't let these people really change your mind, think for yourself.

yes, you might not need a 100 watt halfstack, but if you can transport it and can lift a 70lbs? 412 cab why not get one? I'm hoping to get a 50 watt tube halfstack but don't have any experience with one myself. I usually find out for myself what works and what doesn't.

just some of my advice, it's up to you to listen to me or not
you dont sound all that expereinced so i would suggest just getting a good amp rather than a cheap half stack.....

but you can talk the guys at GC for a 800 valveking HS .....
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by 7angels7plauges
what music do you play?

This is an important question.

Without having a genre in place, I'd say that a Traynor YCV 50 Blue would be better than any SS halfstack in the same price range that you might be looking at. With a genre, I could get more specific.

Quote by fender_212
yes, you might not need a 100 watt halfstack, but if you can transport it and can lift a 70lbs? 412 cab why not get one?

Because not only would a small tube combo be easier to move around than a 100W halfstack, it would -more importantly- sound better, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
If you play some heavier stuff, but still expect your amp to have a diverse selection of tones, check out a b-52 AT combo. There great amps for the price if you give em a chance! They also will be loud enough for almost any situation where micing isnt availible or such. Its hard to say not knowing your music preferances, but check out some fenders, like the blues deluxe or deville, traynor makes great amps, though neither of these will get into the high gain territory on there own.
Quote by slatsmania
This is an important question.

Without having a genre in place, I'd say that a Traynor YCV 50 Blue would be better than any SS halfstack in the same price range that you might be looking at. With a genre, I could get more specific.

Because not only would a small tube combo be easier to move around than a 100W halfstack, it would -more importantly- sound better, too.

are you joking?

a 1 speaker amp?

a 412 would definatly sound "fuller" then any 1 speaker combo

but if you want to think that then go ahead
Quote by fender_212

I appreciate your permission.

IMHO, a quality all tube combo (such as the Traynor mentioned above) will sound better and "fuller" than any $800 SS halfstack. And that better sound will be even more pronounced when both amps are dimed.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by fender_212
are you joking?

a 1 speaker amp?

a 412 would definatly sound "fuller" then any 1 speaker combo

That traynor amp cranked will sound better than any SOLID STATE half stack of the same price. It will sound fuller at high volumes that a solid state half stack couldnt stand up to. Also, the tone will be amazing even cranked at 10.
I'm not talking about solid state, I was talking about tube.

but if it was a solid state halfstack, a tube combo definatly would sound fuller.
Quote by fender_212
I'm not talking about solid state, I was talking about tube.

but if it was a solid state halfstack, a tube combo definatly would sound fuller.

Good luck finding a decent tube half stack with a 412 cab under 800 bucks. I mean besides a valve junior or valveking or such, A windsor is the only thing I can think of.
Quote by gsr2k6
Good luck finding a decent tube half stack with a 412 cab under 800 bucks. I mean besides a valve junior or valveking or such, A windsor is the only thing I can think of.

my buddy is selling a B-52 AT-100 halfstack with a Fender FM 412 cab (**** cab, cool head) for $700 CND or approx $687 USD? sweet deal but I think i'm going with a mesa halfstack.

you can find used amps for good money if you look hard enough
Quote by gsr2k6

Yeah, and then you have a different problem. You have this massive 100W all tube halfstack, and practically any gigging situation you're in, you can't get the master volume past "2." I'd much rather have a 30W combo, cranked up to it's sweet spot, than a 100W stack stuck at a volume level that leaves it sounding flat.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by fender_212
my buddy is selling a B-52 AT-100 halfstack with a Fender FM 412 cab (**** cab, cool head) for $700 CND or approx $687 USD? sweet deal but I think i'm going with a mesa halfstack.

you can find used amps for good money if you look hard enough

That seems to be a good deal, I have that head and payed 700 new I think but I heard things about quality controll and figured i might as well have the ability to be able to send it back for free if it messes up :P.

http://enamelband.com/temporary/B52vsMESA/

Theres some clips comparing the two, neither amps using there best tones, but it shows the similarities. There fairly different though
getting away from this thread a bit.. , what do you guys think about a 50 watt halfstack? I'm just looking at one and thought it would be easier to hit the sweet spot without making someone deaf
Quote by slatsmania
Yeah, and then you have a different problem. You have this massive 100W all tube halfstack, and practically any gigging situation you're in, you can't get the master volume past "2." I'd much rather have a 30W combo, cranked up to it's sweet spot, than a 100W stack stuck at a volume level that leaves it sounding flat.

Meh, the Windsor doesn't really need to be cranked. It sounds better that way, but I tried in the store, had master volume cranked, and volume around around 9'oclock. They say it is 130 Watts, but that is because they don't measure the watts on the clean headroom on that amp, they rate it at both volumes on full. If they did clean headroom on that amp, it would probably get ranked 20 or 30 watts. Anyways, I'd compare the volume on that to a 40 or 50 watt tube amp.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by gsr2k6
That traynor amp cranked will sound better than any SOLID STATE half stack of the same price. It will sound fuller at high volumes that a solid state half stack couldnt stand up to. Also, the tone will be amazing even cranked at 10.

I beg to differ

Line 6 Flextone II & Randall Warhead

The tone would sound farty when cranked up to 10 because of the speakers distorting. If you run it with another cab, it would sound most excellent at 10 though.

If you play metal, you either want a 2x12 combo or a head and 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet. Personally, I like 2x12's more because they allow the speakers to flex to give you some tone other than the head, and they're more portable. A cheap 4x12 (lets say $500) is going to sound horrible when compared to a great 2x12 (again, $500).

Head vs. Combo
I'd go with a 100 watt head, its a classic metal/rock sound, you can use it with different cabinets without hearing a preset set of speakers, and I find it easier to make 2 trips (2x12 cab and head) carrying 50lbs each way than 1 trip carrying a 90lb tube combo.

You might also want to check out a Flextone III
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by fretsonfire74
well id say a line 6 spider for a solid state, or for something else, a good marshall, neither are stacks though, did you mean that u dont really mind if its a stack or not?

Quote by Roybordom
marshall MG100 DFX combo

i wish the noobs would stop making amp/guitar suggestions...
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
Quote by fender_212
If you can transport your halfstack around easily then why aren't you getting one? IMO 412's sound much fuller then any 212 or 1 speaker combo.

yes, you might not need a 100 watt halfstack, but if you can transport it and can lift a 70lbs? 412 cab why not get one? I'm hoping to get a 50 watt tube halfstack but don't have any experience with one myself. I usually find out for myself what works and what doesn't.

why dont you suggest that he gets fifty watts tube?
honestly the 100 watts is only 20% louder, and alot harder to drive...

30-50 watts tube is all you need for most venues mate, and the larger venues are miced anyway

and plus take into account that a two by twelve is a lot easier to transport, and get distortion out of...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
I don't get it. If you have a certain budget why do people want a 4x12 and head? It sounds fuller? Think of how much nicer it would sound in a 2x12 with amazing speakers. I guess that is why some people are tone nuts, and some people...like really big obsolete overpriced solid state rigs?

If I was you, I would check out the peavey 5150, and a 2x12 cab.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi