Page 1 of 3
I see a lot of people want to learn how to scream (whether its for metal, punk, whatever, heres a quick lesson).

Video Here

So what'd you think
I don't know why Mac users get so defensive when you call them idiots. I mean, Apple is a company that has built its entire user base around the fact that its users can't do simple things like turn their computers on.
No, I don't.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
no i ****ing dont want to learn to scream, what i DO want is for people to realise that that crap is so ****ing stupid it makes santa clause himself vomit with rage. Why not post a video showing people how to sing PROPERLY. If you want it to be for metal like you said show people how to sing like Robert Plant, Freddy Mercury, James LaBrie. anyone with TALENT. dont spread that stupid bull****. i was starting to believe that screaming **** was on its way out and real talent and music was making a ressurgence. i guess im wrong for now.
my bad...i didnt watch the vid before i posted. didnt realise it was a joke. o well what i said still stands!
i always wanted to get a nice guttural while rolling my r's. aaa......rrrrrrrrrrruuusshh and a push and the land that we stand on is ours!
Quote by pimpslap1236
my bad...i didnt watch the vid before i posted. didnt realise it was a joke. o well what i said still stands!

Haha. Best example ever of self ownage.
really good video dude
Quote by ledhendrix711
do u guys know where i can get guitar tabs ive bin lookin every where on the internet..

Quote by Muphin
I take the strings off before I smash my guitars. I usually go through about 2 a week. It's mad fun.
Omg Screeming Is Not A Valid Form Of Musical Expression

Do What i Say You Can Do
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Quote by 7daycrisis
Haha. Best example ever of self ownage.

im not gonna lie to you...it was high up there.... but i wouldnt go so far as to call it the best.
Quote by pimpslap1236
no i ****ing dont want to learn to scream, what i DO want is for people to realise that that crap is so ****ing stupid it makes santa clause himself vomit with rage. Why not post a video showing people how to sing PROPERLY. If you want it to be for metal like you said show people how to sing like Robert Plant, Freddy Mercury, James LaBrie. anyone with TALENT. dont spread that stupid bull****. i was starting to believe that screaming **** was on its way out and real talent and music was making a ressurgence. i guess im wrong for now.

Who's to say screaming and other methods of distorted vocals aren't proper singing?
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Who's to say screaming and other methods of distorted vocals aren't proper singing?

the fact that there is no form of "singing" involved. thats why its called "SCREAMING" and not "heavy singing". thats pretty much why, and also because there's no talent involved. loads of dicks on youtube try give those stupid tutorials about techniques and ****. what technique is there? i have a theory about how that vocal style started...

once upon a time in a suburb of illinois a young emo kid got into a fight while his band was playing power chords and blast beats. the emo kid got really mad and started screaming at his mom for not buying him the right coloured ipod, he wanted green but she got him blue. so while he was screaming the band kept playing and thought it sounded "br00tal" and "wicked sick". so the emo kids invented screaming. and wouldve lived happily ever after except they were emo and were incapable of being happy.
The End.

Thats why its not a singing style.

POOPEDIT: thats not to say ALL aggressive vocal styles are retarded. a growly vocal style like James Hetfield still sounds really good, and even just a more agressive delivery like youd get out of Robert Plant or Noddy Holder gives you the best vocal style there is. no vocals can be completely clean ( i mean like opera clean is innappropriate for rock music, regular clean voice is absolutely 100% necessary and preferable) in rock music or it sounds stupid. but pushing it to that point where you realise you have absolutely no actual melodic capabilities so you decide to just scream like a banshee is idiotic, lame, overused, and just boring as hell. theres nothing fresh or exciting about it, theres nothing that SOUNDS good about it, It's just an excuse for a mildly irritated punk bitch to get in a band and pretend that he has talent. thats my rant for tonight.
Last edited by pimpslap1236 at Jul 29, 2007,
^ +1 I didn't realize such a heated debate was going on.
666 BRO
Quote by pimpslap1236
it makes santa clause himself vomit with rage.
:|
I wish I had a sig.

Instrumental preference: Bass and/or vocals (lead or backup)

Quote by Zeppelin256
You're a member of UG.

And you don't want to have buttsecks?

Get the fuck off my internets.
Quote by Kankuro
^ +1 I didn't realize such a heated debate was going on.

ya but i feel alone because im sort of debating with myself no one else is really stating their opinions except me. come on everyone! lets start an internet brawl!
Quote by pimpslap1236

you know, dream theater are influenced by pantera, who (sort of) scream in many of their songs. i dont know if you actually want to call it screaming, or 'heavy singing' as you mentioned in a post below the one that i've quoted here, but either way, at least LaBrie can appreciate the brand of singing that is screaming.

also, there is no denying that bands such as In Flames, or (please dont flame me) Trivium could not write music as unique or as meaningful (in terms of vocals complimenting the music) if the singing was done clean

i think that it is very close minded to just say that a particular style of singing is no good and requires no talent, and particularly in the case of screaming, you are very wrong.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
marlboro reds and beer
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
Quote by pimpslap1236
the fact that there is no form of "singing" involved. thats why its called "SCREAMING" and not "heavy singing". thats pretty much why, and also because there's no talent involved. loads of dicks on youtube try give those stupid tutorials about techniques and ****. what technique is there? i have a theory about how that vocal style started...

once upon a time in a suburb of illinois a young emo kid got into a fight while his band was playing power chords and blast beats. the emo kid got really mad and started screaming at his mom for not buying him the right coloured ipod, he wanted green but she got him blue. so while he was screaming the band kept playing and thought it sounded "br00tal" and "wicked sick". so the emo kids invented screaming. and wouldve lived happily ever after except they were emo and were incapable of being happy.
The End.

Thats why its not a singing style.

POOPEDIT: thats not to say ALL aggressive vocal styles are retarded. a growly vocal style like James Hetfield still sounds really good, and even just a more agressive delivery like youd get out of Robert Plant or Noddy Holder gives you the best vocal style there is. no vocals can be completely clean ( i mean like opera clean is innappropriate for rock music, regular clean voice is absolutely 100% necessary and preferable) in rock music or it sounds stupid. but pushing it to that point where you realise you have absolutely no actual melodic capabilities so you decide to just scream like a banshee is idiotic, lame, overused, and just boring as hell. theres nothing fresh or exciting about it, theres nothing that SOUNDS good about it, It's just an excuse for a mildly irritated punk bitch to get in a band and pretend that he has talent. thats my rant for tonight.

I shall now proceed to pick out the flaws in your rather incoherent rant. Follow the sections I have put in bold.

1. That sounds like circular logic to me. Don't worry, I'll wait for you to look up the definition of 'circular logic' so you can proceed with the argument.

But first, here's the definition of 'Sing'

Quote by dictionary
1. Music
a. To utter a series of words or sounds in musical tones.
b. To vocalize songs or selections.
c. To perform songs or selections as a trained or professional singer.
d. To produce sounds when played: made the violin sing.

Judge for yourself, but I'd say the average, sane being could draw parallels between the techniques used for screaming and that definition. If YOU can't, however, it's not really a surprise to me.

2. I dare you to try and scream/growl/grunt/bark/wuteverthefuck. I would be HIGHLY surprised if you could whip out some Phil Anselmo-esque screams... TGST style. Takes no talent, right?

Hold, on, wait up. IN FACT, if you have any balls at all (as well as respect for the other side of your argument), I dare you to back up your "no talent is needed."
Go on, PROVE to me that you can scream like a professional.

But then again, who says music has to be technical to be good? I always see people (mostly you blues/classic rockers) railing against shred for being 'all technique, no emotion lawl' but when it comes to genres that you see as 'lesser,' you'll have no problem basing your hatred for it merely off that fact that it isn't technical ENOUGH.

HAHA.

But anyway, enough of that.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
Last edited by Dirtydeeds468 at Jul 29, 2007,
Quote by Dirtydeeds468

exactly everyone is so in the box of how real music should sound sing this way or its not music, play your guitar this way or its not music. F that. I am glad things change and people experiment with something other than what people expect.
regardless if you like screaming or not its a change from the everyday. good or bad is regardless.

I personally love some scream bands. AOF owns your life. Bleed the dream has some alright stuff and theres more many more, i have heard alot of bands that just ruin it, but who am I to say, some people enjoy *insert generic 13yr old teenie bopper Im so f-in cool and rebellious screamo band*... honestly I know bands have killed the whole scream thing, unfortunately. Thanks to the beloved trend hoppers thats the trend right now...

It will die out..
Quote by instagata0
you know, dream theater are influenced by pantera, who (sort of) scream in many of their songs. i dont know if you actually want to call it screaming, or 'heavy singing' as you mentioned in a post below the one that i've quoted here, but either way, at least LaBrie can appreciate the brand of singing that is screaming.

also, there is no denying that bands such as In Flames, or (please dont flame me) Trivium could not write music as unique or as meaningful (in terms of vocals complimenting the music) if the singing was done clean

i think that it is very close minded to just say that a particular style of singing is no good and requires no talent, and particularly in the case of screaming, you are very wrong.

id still say im very right, as ive yet to be proven wrong. they were influenced by panteras pre-"grunt" music. Cowboys from hell Cemetery Gates Hard Ride etc. And secondly only petrucci was influenced (obviously by dimebag, and dimebag isnt a singer,) also i wouldnt call the music of In Flames meaningful at all, its drivel for angry teens, trivium is a better example, they have some talent they just dont know how to use it. they keep trying to become metallica but unfortunately they keep moving to the St Anger era metallica. and im not being closed minded, im very open minded i appreciate almost every other style, grunt's like you'd find in as you said pantera are great because the singers who grunt I.E Phil Anselmo can actually sing. and if you listen to alot of Pantera like i do, you know Anselmo is an amazingly gifted singer, clean or otherwise. im sticking to my guns and saying there is no talent required to scream. there is talent is screaming without sustaining injury, but the actual style is empty and hollow. theres nothing there that is in any way shape or form musical. end of story.
Quote by pimpslap1236
id still say im very right, as ive yet to be proven wrong. they were influenced by panteras pre-"grunt" music. Cowboys from hell Cemetery Gates Hard Ride etc. And secondly only petrucci was influenced (obviously by dimebag, and dimebag isnt a singer,) also i wouldnt call the music of In Flames meaningful at all, its drivel for angry teens, trivium is a better example, they have some talent they just dont know how to use it. they keep trying to become metallica but unfortunately they keep moving to the St Anger era metallica. and im not being closed minded, im very open minded i appreciate almost every other style, grunt's like you'd find in as you said pantera are great because the singers who grunt I.E Phil Anselmo can actually sing. and if you listen to alot of Pantera like i do, you know Anselmo is an amazingly gifted singer, clean or otherwise. im sticking to my guns and saying there is no talent required to scream. there is talent is screaming without sustaining injury, but the actual style is empty and hollow. theres nothing there that is in any way shape or form musical. end of story.

definately not. screaming, nowadays has just as much of a place in music as any other style. it is just another tool in the kit of a singer which can, no doubt, ALWAYS be used to the advantage of the singer.

also, In Flames is an awesome band... and i'm not an angry teen...
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
I shall now proceed to pick out the flaws in your rather incoherent rant. Follow the sections I have put in bold.

1. That sounds like circular logic to me. Don't worry, I'll wait for you to look up the definition of 'circular logic' so you can proceed with the argument.

Judge for yourself, but I'd say the average, sane being could draw parallels between the techniques used for screaming and that definition. If YOU can't, however, it's not really a surprise to me.

2. I dare you to try and scream/growl/grunt/bark/wuteverthefuck. I would be HIGHLY surprised if you could whip out some Phil Anselmo-esque screams... TGST style. Takes no talent, right?

Hold, on, wait up. IN FACT, if you have any balls at all (as well as respect for the other side of your argument), I dare you to back up your "no talent is needed."

But then again, who says music has to be technical to be good? I always see people (mostly you blues/classic rockers) railing against shred for being 'all technique, no emotion lawl' but when it comes to genres that you see as 'lesser,' you'll have no problem basing your hatred for it merely off that fact that it isn't technical ENOUGH.

HAHA.

what the **** are you on about, at least every one else who has questioned me about this has proceeded intelligently. there is a differnece between "making noise" and creating a sound that is pleasent to the ear and is actually enjoyable which is what music is. second of all, dont question what i like in music, I listen to and enjoy almost any style you can throw at me. and the second half of you argument made no sense about shredders not having feeling. every musician has feeling or they wouldnt be playign the ****ing instrument, they just express it differently. Even your bloody ****ing screamers. they just go about it in an unintelligible way. i love shred, i idolize paul gilbert, malmsteen, Vai, Satrianni, petrucci and the like, and i like blues and classic, and ya i appreciate technical music more than any other kind, and do you know why? because it takes talent, it takes ingenuity and imagination. copying every other b(r)and that has come off the production line of north american mainstream takes nothing special, becuase its all set up already there for you. and what are you talking about blues and classic rock being super technical. does power chords, A major and pentatonic scales sound too technical to you? no it doesnt. Particularly blues. I love blues, in every subgenre its come out in and do you know why? becuase it doesnt just take talent it takes SOUL. it doesnt need to be super technical it just needs to be enjoyed by the musician and audience.

theres a very easy way to scream like the pros... drink some water...breathe in....and scream like your dick is on fire. or if you want your "technical approach" to it you can use oyur inhale scream bull**** which to me sounds exactly the ****ing same.
^ That made no sense at all and did nothing as a rebuttal, prove him wrong. I dare you.

Quote by Dirtydeeds468

HAHA.

Quote by pimpslap1236
what the **** are you on about, at least every one else who has questioned me about this has proceeded intelligently. there is a differnece between "making noise" and creating a sound that is pleasent to the ear and is actually enjoyable which is what music is. second of all, dont question what i like in music, I listen to and enjoy almost any style you can throw at me. and the second half of you argument made no sense about shredders not having feeling. every musician has feeling or they wouldnt be playign the ****ing instrument, they just express it differently. Even your bloody ****ing screamers. they just go about it in an unintelligible way. i love shred, i idolize paul gilbert, malmsteen, Vai, Satrianni, petrucci and the like, and i like blues and classic, and ya i appreciate technical music more than any other kind, and do you know why? because it takes talent, it takes ingenuity and imagination. copying every other b(r)and that has come off the production line of north american mainstream takes nothing special, becuase its all set up already there for you. and what are you talking about blues and classic rock being super technical. does power chords, A major and pentatonic scales sound too technical to you? no it doesnt. Particularly blues. I love blues, in every subgenre its come out in and do you know why? becuase it doesnt just take talent it takes SOUL. it doesnt need to be super technical it just needs to be enjoyed by the musician and audience.

theres a very easy way to scream like the pros... drink some water...breathe in....and scream like your dick is on fire. or if you want your "technical approach" to it you can use oyur inhale scream bull**** which to me sounds exactly the ****ing same.

HOLY INCOHERENT POST BATMAN!

Anyway-

1. No there is not. Music isn't objective. One person COULD hear something and hate it, while another could love it. (see: Sunn O)))...)

2. Whar did I do this?

3. Yes, I was merely conveying the supposed 'argument' presented by most bashers of shred music. Those, too, are my thoughts on the matter.

4. No, but many forms of blues and classic rock are much more technical than say...post-hardcore, or proper emo music of the 90's.

5. But that wouldn't be the proper way to go about it, would it?
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
Deeds does have a point, but enough of this arguing crap. This video was for teh funnies and it was funnies!

I want more vids of teh funnies god damn it!
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by pimpslap1236
ya but i feel alone because im sort of debating with myself no one else is really stating their opinions except me. come on everyone! lets start an internet brawl!

"Omg Screeming Is Not A Valid Form Of Musical Expression

Do What i Say You Can Do"

Thats all you need said to you.

Fuucking dumbass.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
HOLY INCOHERENT POST BATMAN!

Anyway-

1. No there is not. Music isn't objective. One person COULD hear something and hate it, while another could love it. (see: Sunn O)))...)

2. Whar did I do this?

3. Yes, I was merely conveying the supposed 'argument' presented by most bashers of shred music. Those, too, are my thoughts on the matter.

4. No, but many forms of blues and classic rock are much more technical than say...post-hardcore, or proper emo music of the 90's.

5. But that wouldn't be the proper way to go about it, would it?

#1 its not music to me therefore it is objective.
#2 and #3 fairplay i misread that
#4 thats actually a benefit, because proper emo was much better than what kids THINK is emo.
#5 in your wisdom teach me this "proper" way to go about making incoherent shreaking noises
Quote by Nelsean
Deeds does have a point, but enough of this arguing crap. This video was for teh funnies and it was funnies!

I want more vids of teh funnies god damn it!

This vid brings the lulz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxoOCSpJVdw

EDIT-
Quote by pimpslap1236
#1 its not music to me therefore it is objective.
#2 and #3 fairplay i misread that
#4 thats actually a benefit, because proper emo was much better than what kids THINK is emo.
#5 in your wisdom teach me this "proper" way to go about making incoherent shreaking noises

1. On what grounds do you have to denounce it as 'not music'?

On the grounds that you don't like it? Oh please, that's crap and you know it.

5. Huh? I have no idea how to do it, but that's irrelevant. Obviously there's a proper way to do it to produce the best screams and do it in the way that is least harmful to your body, seeing as how there have been people doing it for two decades.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
Last edited by Dirtydeeds468 at Jul 29, 2007,
Quote by pimpslap1236

Video it. C'mon lets see you sound like a pro.

And play some riffs at the same time. And sing a whole song.

While your at it look at the definition for singing and tell me where it sais "No screaming/growling/shrieking noob."

Wait a tick.... you ****ing cant.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
"Omg Screeming Is Not A Valid Form Of Musical Expression

Do What i Say You Can Do"

Thats all you need said to you.

Fuucking dumbass.

what the **** are you on about? what have you really added to this debate by speaking out of your ass. im not hitler dictating that screaming shall be banished henceforth, im giving my opinion on the matter, i dont believe ive yet to say it isnt a valid form of EXPRESSION, anything is a form of expression, taking a **** and spray painting it pink can also be a form of expression, but thats just silly isnt it. screaming incoherently into a microphone and calling it singing is also a legitimate form of expression, its still an expression, i dont questiont that in the least, but its a very VERY ****ty form of singing
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Video it. C'mon lets see you sound like a pro.

And play some riffs at the same time. And sing a whole song.

While your at it look at the definition for singing and tell me where it sais "No screaming/growling/shrieking noob."

Wait a tick.... you ****ing cant.

Look at the definition of singing and tell me where it includes ANY style of singing. screaming is not a style of singing because its ****ing SCREAMING!!! thats why they dont cant it singing they call it SCREAMING. do i have to repeat that again for you? im going to anyway. ITS CALLED SCREAMING NOT SINGING. do you know why its not called singing? becuase ITS ****ING SCREAMING. you get it yet? good. and by the way i like the growls. nothing wrong with them. its SCREAMING( NOT SINGING just so you bloody well remember) that i have a problem with.
but anyways i havent got a cam on my comp so im afraid i cant do that for you son. im not a singer anyways and definitely not a screamer, ill admit to you it takes a limited amount of ability to get that power in your voice and get it to sound "right" but as far as anything else goes sorry. my band has a vid on youtube i believe so you'll get to see me singing back up if you search for "A Change Of Seasons" cover by Dream Theater under the band Revenant... thats if your that much of a desperate twat.

EDIT: Nelsean, look up "Nirvana Cover gone wrong" its sad but funny as hell. sure to get you laughing mate.
Last edited by pimpslap1236 at Jul 29, 2007,
Quote by pimpslap1236
i havent got a cam on my comp so im afraid i cant do that for you son. im not a singer anyways and definitely not a screamer, ill admit to you it takes a limited amount of ability to get that power in your voice and get it to sound "right" but as far as anything else goes sorry. my band has a vid on youtube i believe so you'll get to see me singing back up if you search for "A Change Of Seasons" cover by Dream Theater under the band Revenant... thats if your that much of a desperate twat.

EDIT: Nelsean, look up "Nirvana Cover gone wrong" its sad but funny as hell. sure to get you laughing mate.

Hey wait, how can you not be a screamer if any dumb **** can do it like the pros? Thats what you said, isn't it?
Quote by Inahrima
Hey wait, how can you not be a screamer if any dumb **** can do it like the pros? Thats what you said, isn't it?

that's exactly what i said. But saying that isnt saying its too difficult for me, or anyone. if you have a young child between the ages of 1 month to 2 years old you know they can scream very well. they're very capable of forming screamo bands. but what i was saying whaen i said that was i DONT do it. not i CANT do it. its the sound a human makes when he or she is very pissed off, so i dont see why i WOULDNT be able to do it.
Page 1 of 3