tried one out a couple days ago at a local guitar shop to see what the fuss was about. IT IS AMAZING. the break up on this amp just gives me chills....too bad its a one trick pony

discuss.

JJ
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
pff...ok calm down...two channels...thats it.....i dont want to use a od/dist pedal cause i like the break up...so how would i have my cleans if the amps i just cranked on the top boost to break up?
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Quote by sloppyjoe109
pff...ok calm down...two channels...thats it.....i dont want to use a od/dist pedal cause i like the break up...so how would i have my cleans if the amps i just cranked on the top boost to break up?

When you need cleans, switch off top boost, and switch channels, turn volume knob down and switch to neck pickup?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Volume knob, brings you down from sweet breakup to clean. Plus, live, you're always going to get breakup on a tube amp, and I find I often end up playing all of the clean parts with a dirty sound and the volume knob turned down just a little for articulation.
hmm...ok...i just like my clean sound to bo clean...like no gain or dirty or break up to it :/
Quote by NeverMeant
Quote by sloppyjoe109
hmm...ok...i just like my clean sound to bo clean...like no gain or dirty or break up to it :/

I use a combination of that fancy rolling off the volume knob trick and a tubescreamer. Works for me. But if you love the amp, and need it to behave like a traditional two channel amp, you can always set the top boost channel for gain, the normal channel for cleans and hook up an a/b/y switch.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
But if you love the amp, and need it to behave like a traditional two channel amp, you can always set the top boost channel for gain, the normal channel for cleans and hook up an a/b/y switch.

Just what i was about to suggest. You can use the ABY switch to use it as if the 2 channels are 2 separate amps. Roll the volume on the normal channel back about half way so it's nice and clean and put the Top Boost volume to full, you then put one jack from the ABY into each input and you can switch between Top Boost, Clean or even both with a footswitch!
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
^ I second that... please, define the sound of an AC30. What does it do best? You're going to end up with shimmering cleans (beatles), fat cleans (the shadows), blues (rory gallagher), jazz (george benson), rock(queen) and indie (the bravery, radiohead and so on). IMO that's quite a lot more than one trick. Only thing it probably won't do is metal
The AC30 is a great amp and definately NOT a one trick pony
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
what i meant was like...one channel kinda amp...but i will most definately look into the AB switch...thanks guys...
Quote by NeverMeant
Quote by slatsmania
I use a combination of that fancy rolling off the volume knob trick and a tubescreamer. Works for me. But if you love the amp, and need it to behave like a traditional two channel amp, you can always set the top boost channel for gain, the normal channel for cleans and hook up an a/b/y switch.

o.o;; I didn't know you could do that... wow maybe I'll get the AC30 instead of 5:50 lol
Failure is a far greater teacher than success.
Unified

Gear:
Schecter C-1
Peavey Classic 30
Roland Cube 30
DD-3
Ibanez WD-7
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
did TS crank the AC30 at his shop? it'd sound even BETTER cranked. imo, Vox gets 75% of the creamy overdrive tone from poweramp saturation.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^thats what i liked about it dude. that chill giving break up....but im gonna look into the switch...and possibly purchase the amp....
Quote by NeverMeant
Quote by ECistheBest
did TS crank the AC30 at his shop? it'd sound even BETTER cranked. imo, Vox gets 75% of the creamy overdrive tone from poweramp saturation.

I hope the shopowners will let me crank one the next time I'm there.
i played an ac 15 at low volumes today, and even at that it sounded great. the tremelo/reverb is so natural and warm. i had it dialed to a slight breakup tone and it was such a great sound, now i see why they are so hyped up
theres no sound room at my local GC :[ i hate how i can't push them to higher volumes.

^and AC15 wan't too pleasing for me when i played it at low volume... didn't dial reverb or tremolo, but the breakup was so thin. and there's only break up in the treble too. no bass/mid breakup. not too good.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
theres no sound room at my local GC :[ i hate how i can't push them to higher volumes.

^and AC15 wan't too pleasing for me when i played it at low volume... didn't dial reverb or tremolo, but the breakup was so thin. and there's only break up in the treble too. no bass/mid breakup. not too good.

it was wierd, because this was used and it sounded different from other ones. but if i did dial in too much pre amp volume or whatever it was it got kinda nasty and trebley, but i guess i found a good setting because i thought it was great
dayum. i see. but i dunno bout the top boost at low volume. u gotta push the amp with top boost.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
dayum. i see. but i dunno bout the top boost at low volume. u gotta push the amp with top boost.

yeah i want to play one cranked sometime but i was just trying to get a good tone at low volumes cause i was in gc. i think the top boost was about 1 o clock and the master was pretty low
i play volume 10 master volume 2...
maybe that's the problem lol. giving nasty overdrive only for treble.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
i play volume 10 master volume 2...
maybe that's the problem lol. giving nasty overdrive only for treble.

ahah yeah thats probably the problem, when i was messing with it it didnt seem like id want to use it for anything more than a slight breakup sound but maybe thats cause i didnt crank it, but it gets pretty trebly/gross after a certain point but right before that it sounds great.
well the thing is, i play my Blues Jr. with my Volume knob at 12. and master not so high. it sounds awesome that way. and i expected the same lol.

but NOW i play the master at 12 too. i got an attenuator.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
idk but the amp is great...i really saw why people are in love with it.....

although i do want a fender deluxe
Quote by NeverMeant
I'm gettin my AC30 this week. Woot!!

*does a little dance*
"You shank my jenga ship!" - Homsar
^haha cool. i just want something good to play in the house, practice with the band, and use in the studio. i think im going for the deluxe...i want a godly like clean amp...the vox is great...but the fender is cheaper :/
Quote by NeverMeant
have you tried the OD on the hot rod(?) deluxe? because it seems to be a touchy subject with some people, though most don't like it.

whereas the vox has amazing, but different, cleans and creamy overdrive.

i wanna go back and play one
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
^i hate the OD/More Drive on those deluxes and devilles....but gosh..those cleans are to do die for....although the twin reverb is better imo.
Quote by NeverMeant
there is a simplistic and cohesive tone variation with single channel amps that most people just dont get. If you can learn to understand a one channel amp youll see that it is not a one trick pony, and its not limited in tone and variation, you need to embrace it and use it to its full potential. I agree, its not for everyone, but **** is the ac30 awesome...and definitly not a one trick pony, mix it up with different pedals and pair up some different tubes and you can get the most original tone out there.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
^yeah im sure you can...that thing is great. all i meant was its a "one" channel amp. and i hate dist pedals. i only like the ibanez tubescreamer (OD pedal)
Quote by NeverMeant
^the thing with one channel amps is that you dont nessecarily need a distortion pedal

i used to use a blues driver to over saturate my tone, and i use my neck pickup with a rolled down volume to do my cleans.

im saying once you get used to using a one channel amp (cranking it, pushing the tubes), and using your guitars volume and tone to make different tones on the fly...its tough to use and it takes some extra work, but its worth it, i think it makes the tone more cohesive than that of a 2 or more channel amp.

but i totally get what you mean, it really set me back when i got it, but i figured it out and im glad i went with a one channel amp. I used to use a marshall jcm 900, and i didnt like the 800's because of its one channel, but now im hooked...i started getting into the old JTMs and plexis too

the amp is uber cheap anyway, buy somethign more extensive and when you get some extra cash, pick it up, i bet y oull love it more than your multi channel amp......

oh alllso, there is a new ac50 and ac100 that have two channels. Its not exactly the same tone as the ac30, but its close, check those out.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville