Ok sorry for posting a "Vs" thread is it against the rules?

If not i've got a question which is the most value for money:

A Squire (or equivalent) modded to the heavens I'm talking new neck new pickups electronics and hardware etc.

A MIM Strat with a few less mods i.e. no new neck, then the same as above.

A stock MIA.

I'm asking this because I would like to get a Strat soon and not pay through the roof. I'm thinking MIM option at the moment because the Squire would not have as high quality body wood, and the MIA would cost too much to start with especially in the UK.

But I would like your opinions please.
Guitars Fender Highway 1 Telecaster, Vintage VS-6, Yamaha C-40 Classical
Amps Laney VC15, Crate GT212 *FOR SALE*
Pedals Fulltone OCD, Vox V847, Marshall The Echohead, EHX Small Clone, Korg DT-10

Member of the Laney Cult
well i think you've got it figured out. it's like why buy a plexi, when you could buy an 800 and mod it to the same specs. nevermind... bad analogy.... i take it back.

but yeah, i would buy the MIM, and add new pups.
Guitar-Gibson LP Studio
Amp-1990 Marshall JCM 900 2x12 Combo
(G12-M and V30)
Cabinet-Marshall 1960 (JCM 900 edition) 2x12
(G12-H30 and V30 60L).
as far as value for money:

getting a good mexican Fender, if you can cherry pick out of an entire group of them you should be able to find one that excels above the others, get some new pickups and you've got yourself a sweet guitar

or getting any sort of older Japanese made Squire or Fender
Ah yes I forgot about the Japs

I'm probably going to go used as well if that helps.

Could anyone explain the difference between the body woods of a Squire to a MIM or MIJ, I think MIA is going to be a bit out of budget.
Pedals Fulltone OCD, Vox V847, Marshall The Echohead, EHX Small Clone, Korg DT-10

Member of the Laney Cult
i was going to say edwards, but that might be hard to find second hand.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ahh how much better is the Lite Ash compared to a standard MIM, I do like natural finishes.

Also Edwards? Enlighten me please. I would rather stick to Fender...

P.S. Oh and sorry for being an absolute noob

Member of the Laney Cult
For the natural finish you could also look at the:

Fender Stratocaster 70's Reissue ...

The difference between these two (they're both mexican) is that the Lite-Ash has Seymour-Duncan pickups which you love or hate...
The 70's has normal Fender Pickups which you also love or hate (I personally don't really like those pickups, to much bite... to much treble)
I do not buy cheap **** guitars, and I took a chance and bought a SX Strat copy off of rondomusic for 99 dollars, now, since i began playing ive owned and sold the following, a jackson slsmg, ibanez rg321mh, 2 fender standard strats, and a prs se, and a schecter extreme fr. I borrowed a friends guitar and did a pup swap with some vintage noiseless ones, and this guitar, by far blows away the standard strats I owned. Its an alder body. If you have the money to mod, its not a bad idea to go with rondo. Im going to swap the pups soon, then the hardware, its excellent. Definately dont be afraid to mod.
Ok I'm really not that bothered about the pickups because I plan to switch them straight away. Remember I don't necessarily need the best out of the box i need the best after some mods for a small price.

But cheers for all these suggestions defiantly some strong options coming through.

EDIT: Do Rondo ship to the UK? Plus if they do by the time all the taxes have been added on it probably wouldn't be worth going that cheap. But thanks for your input.

Member of the Laney Cult
Last edited by Sharly at Jul 29, 2007,
^ then I would choose the 70's...
The Lite-Ash has a tremelo that can't be switched with the regular fender (or other brand) types... (special trem-system... or something) and they both are just as cheap/expensive...

The 70's is a better modification-strat
Hmm I'm having a few problems finding some of these guitars on eBay...

Can anyone give the site that imports Jap Strats into the UK I know there is a legit company that does it but the website eludes me!

EDIT Thank god for google http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php

Member of the Laney Cult
Last edited by Sharly at Jul 29, 2007,
http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/index.html (check the lacquer taste series)

sold here: http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/esp/edwards/index.htm

they also sell japanese fenders:

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/fender-j/index.htm

though i'm not sure if they'll ship japanese fenders to the UK- they will ship edwards, though.

I've only ever tried one edwards, a second hand LP special with p90's. Was far superior to the gibson faded version of the same model. I can only assume the fender copies are of similar quality.

I haven't tried a japanese fender...

bear in mind, shipping will be around £65, and then you have to add on around 20% to the total price, including shipping for VAT- works out between £450-£500 for most of the "classic" models.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Sharly
EDIT Thank god for google http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php

those are extremely dear, at least compared to the cost of the japanese sites... they're going for about £200 less, including shipping and taxes, though obviously they may not ship.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You could get a fender strat MIA for around £500 on ebay. Or get a MIM for about £300.

Now decide, if, having the MIA stamp, hardcase, better neck with 1 extra fret, better pickups, possibly slightly better quality body, 2 point trem instead of vintage 6 screw, is worth the extra £200 or so.

I don't know, but i use the 22nd fret a fair bit, so id prefer the MIA, and then i have a hardcase as well, and it should generally sound better. But you'd sell the pickups anyway, so that doesnt make a difference to you.

The MIA strats hold their value incredibly well. I was searching on ebay every day looking at ones selling from america and UK, for any cheap ones going that i could change for my build etc. I never saw a MIA go for under £400 even if it was 5-10-15 years old. And they rarely went for under £500. Nice or almost vintage ones, and newer ones fetch £600
Fender Strat Build
Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster MEX
Fender Telecaster USA

Laney LC50-II
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
ProCo TheRat
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Ernie Ball 6166
Line 6 DL4
Line 6 TP UX2
I ripped all the hardware out of my Yamaha Pacifica and replaced everything with better quality stuff, there is a huge difference and this guitar is now really good. I have no idea of the quality of Squires, but if it feels good, and it sounds good unplugged, then there's no reason why this shouldn't work.
Ok thanks for everyone's time, it's looking more and more likely that a MIJ is going to be very hard to come by, and if it does its going to be expensive, however it is at the top of my wish list.

Coolhandluke123: You can get MIM's on GAK for £289 new so eBay looks like its ripping people off. But obviously it would be nice to have a MIA to start with, hardcase would be nice. I hardly venture past 17 so the number of frets is not an issue at all.

Looks like I'm going to have to stick it out and buy one that I am going to be happy with, because I don't want to have a guitar that I grow out of straight away even with the mods, I need one that I can grow into and use for as long as possible.

I'm going to have to work full time for the next few months Shelve stacking is boring

Member of the Laney Cult
i would revisit the lite-ash strat. i've owned one, and it is gorgeous. not only that, but if you'd prefer a beefier sound (and feel) when compared to your traditional strat, i would definitely take a look. I love that guitar.

but bear in mind that it feels very very different (to me at least). go try some out.

PS- Don't forget about showmasters.
Yes it seems I'm going to have to make a lengthy trip to the guitar shop. I like the idea of having an Ash body because my Tele is Alder, however I really don't like Showmasters sorry.

Member of the Laney Cult