Has anyone recently taken a flight with a guitar in their hand luggage?

I'm moving to Australia in 5 months and I was wondering if I could take my guitar inside the plane with me. I know people could do it before but I'm not sure now because of all the extra security and crap. There is no way I'm letting it get checked in, I won't be too happy having some ass throwing it around and stacking 59835368257925 kg suitcases on top. I could get it shipped, but that means months with no guitar
Last edited by Rhitard at Jul 29, 2007,
If you check it in you get it put in the 'fragile items' section, as long as you have a flight proof case you'll be fine.

But you can take it on as hand luggage.
wow I just moved to Australia like a week ago my guitar still isn't here but thats because Its coming down by boat :|
I took mine on as hand luggage and it was allowed. The security down here is quite good and fair, never had any troubles taking my belongings like my guitar overseas.
electro music alliance

Moon of The Mighty Boosh Appreciation Society PM *Juno* to join!

Quote by The 6th String
I learned to dance by watching amputees have seizures...
Yeah you should be ok to take it on as hand luggage. Just watch out for snakes.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
yeah i bought one when i was on holiday in america and took it back here with me, on the way back i just took it as hand luggage, if its a musical instrument its allowed.
ive done it before, they search if its got a bomb, then put it in storage...
Quote by wilson 595
ive done it before, they search if its got a bomb, then put it in storage...

I've flown to Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Spain, England, Ireland and Singapore with my guitar.
Depends on the airline... Quantas are dicks but British Airways don't really care.
In fact, I'm in an airport in Singapore now on my way to Heathrow (sp?) and then back hyome to Ireland and my bags are checked in and I have my guitar beside me!
Also, in my experience, if you're not allowed to bring it on as hand luggage, most Airlines have an "oversized baggage" section and you can get bubble wrap and about a thousand "FRAGILE" stickers.
EDIT and in some places they allow you to carry it around until just before you're boarding and then give it to them to put on.

Don't try the whole "this is my guitar and there's no way you're taking it!!!" thing, make them sympathise. In Tokyo I told them my guitar was insured for 40,000 euro and if it got broken my insurance company would sue them.
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Last edited by Caressing Death at Jul 29, 2007,
call the airlines first,that's what we did when i moved here in the u.s

some airlines allow it some don't
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
I have never taken my motherfucking guitar on a motherfucking plane, but I would call the airport first. I don't think they will allow you to take it with you as hand baggage.
Quote by p o e
lmfao man thats so sick and depraved and yet funny all at once

my hats off to you IbanezSA160, you have embodied the Pit into one little poem
When I took a guitar back home with me when I was on vacation, someone at the airport had told us we could put it in the coat rack on the plane, but when we get to boarding they tell us there is no coat rack! So my guitar was the last thing to go in the back of the plane and the first to come out because I brought it out to the plane with me. Definitely use a hardshell case though.
The Damned Blue Collar Tweeker of the Primus Sucks club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

Flickr

Quote by Tad Walters
11th chords are for fags.
i recently went on a trip to new york for 2 weeks. i called ahead, and they said under no circumstance can i bring it on and that it wont fit in the overhead when i told them the dimensions.

its all bull****, i saw a guy a few seats ahead of me just stick one in the overhead.
Member #10 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance

Quote by Def
I’ve had it with these motherf*cking guitars on this motherf*cking plane!

^ Nice work Rhi.

You might consider buying a flight case for your guitar. It will protect your guitar from "some ass throwing it around and stacking 59835368257925 kg suitcases on top."

... really!
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I was able to do it when moving from Jordan to the states, and that's a longass 16-hour flight. I didn't even have a hardcase.

Don't forget to slack your strings or just take them off completely or else the pressure will cause snappage.
@ the second pic on 1st page
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Rhitard
Rofl
Of course. Look at who posted it.

Metal Claw = =
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
^ gah!! that dam picture's followed me here and tried to disguise itself!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.