Page 1 of 2
Well I've picked up the guitar again after about 4 years. I must say since I've finally gotten to pick it back up I've found a missing piece of the puzzle in my life. I get lost playing music.

However, my old Washburn EA48 is getting old in age, not to mention worn out. The sound just isn't like I want, and now that I can afford something better I would love to indulge myself.

My budget is a bout 2k before tax. I have more sense than money unfortunately so this guitar will probably be one of only a few. So I'd like to get a more "all-around" guitar, but I know that's hard to come by.

I've looked and looked at the Taylor GS series and from the videos I've seen they sound great.

Same thing goes for the Cole Clark FL3(and FL2).

Anyone have an opinion on this? I'm really leaning towards the Taylor, but have gotten to play neither due to my VERY poor location, a Cole Clark dealer is at least 6 hours away, and the nearest Taylor is 2 hours.

Is it worth the drive to play a Cole Clark or should I just go play the Taylor?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks so much, sorry this was so long.
I got a Taylor GS8 about 3 weeks ago.

I have nothing negative to say about the guitar, GO FOR IT. You will not be disappointed.
Quote by noah22791
I got a Taylor GS8 about 3 weeks ago.

I have nothing negative to say about the guitar, GO FOR IT. You will not be disappointed.

Awesome my friend. Why did you get the GS8?

Aren't the GS5 6 7 8 the same thing except for different woods? They are all the same price.
Last edited by rsgunter at Jul 29, 2007,
yes, they are all the same size.

The guitar has incredibly nice bass, perfect mids, and the bright hi's of taylors.

I got the 800 because it is east indian rosewood back and sides and sitka spruce on the top.
East indian rosewood is getting rarer, and it really produces a nice tone. That's why I chose to go with the GS8.

To answer your earlier question, all GS are the same size, with just different wood combinations.
I would pick up a Cole Clark, but that's just my preference.

Taylors are great guitars also, but imo, you're getting a little more quality with a Cole Clark.

And besides. Any rich little douche with a video camera and a Taylor likes to post his crappy videos on youtube.

EDIT: Read the post, and actually, go for the Taylor. It wouldn't be worth it to drive 6 hours rather than 2.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Last edited by MrDinkleberry at Jul 29, 2007,
Quote by MrDinkleberry

And besides. Any rich little douche with a video camera and a Taylor likes to post his crappy videos on youtube.

I was going to do that! J/k. haha. The only videos I would post would be instructional, period, and I doubt I'll ever post those.

Quote by MrDinkleberry

EDIT: Read the post, and actually, go for the Taylor. It wouldn't be worth it to drive 6 hours rather than 2.

Really? So there isn't that much difference then?

I'm liking the looks of the Taylor more, I know that's not the most important thing, but the flashy look of the FL3 could wear out it's welcome over time I think.
One more thing, how is the playability on the GS8? I have to break my fingers to play my current guitar. The last Taylor I played was swish, barely had to press anything, reminded me of an electric. Makes hammers and pulls SO much easier.
I find the playability perfect. I don't know if you have played any taylors before, but they have distinct necks.

Very few people don't like the necks, I find them very smooth and easy to play on. I don't have any problems from keeping playing what I want to play.

The playability on the GS is great in my opinion.
Quote by noah22791
I find the playability perfect. I don't know if you have played any taylors before, but they have distinct necks.

Very few people don't like the necks, I find them very smooth and easy to play on. I don't have any problems from keeping playing what I want to play.

The playability on the GS is great in my opinion.

I liked what I played of a taylor at the store, though it wasn't a GS. I guess I'll have to take a trip an find out huh?

Of course, I'd like to have at least a thousand bucks saved up so I won't just slaughter my credit card. :P
your choice. But i own a CC FL2 which i had shipped in from australia (im uk) it was gamble on wether i would the sound or not, but once the guitar settled in ive found it to be truly awesome. I heard people mention you always try the cole clarks as the tone can sometimes differ between each same model. However im not to sure about that. Deffo look into the FL2 tho. Looks awesome too
I don't like the idea of the gamble order. I need to play these things.

Any more for either? Any other guitars of the same caliber I should look at?
For guitars, in that price range I think you have picked out two great options.

Go into the shop see what they have in that range. However I think the Taylor or Cole Clark would be great. (especially the taylor, I am about to leave and play mine.)
Cool. I guess I'm stuck on the Taylor unless something crazy happens. I think my Dad may even help me out with the purchase.

It may be a few weeks before I can do anything, but I will be sure to post here and let you guys know.

Thanks so much, and opinions are still welcome!
Hey rsgunter,
Are you in Aus?
Also are you talking in Aus Dollars?
If so then I reckon the Cole Clark would be a pretty good bet for 2grand.
I've played some good Taylors but they have all been over 2k.
In the under 2k aussie dollars section I think Maton and Cole Clark own most other brands.
However if you are talking US dollars and your in the states or somewhere thats not Aus then go for the Taylor.
Of course the 6 hour drive is a big factor as well. The cost of petrol and an entire day traveling... Like I might spend an entire day/weekend shopping for guitars, but that doesnt involve more than half an hours drive or train/tram for an hour, and It's always fun for me cos you can grab something to eat, explore some new places AND play lots of guitars.
Its good fun. But I cant imagine driving 6 hours when I could drive 2 hours and get something maybe better, maybe not, maybe equal.

You could also contact someone you know in a less remote place and get them to buy the guitar and then send it up to you for however much it would cost to post. The cost of postage MAY be less than the cost of fuel and spending half of your day driving.

Thinking about it, I would probably just buy the taylor because of the effort involved in getting the Cole Clark
Taylor GS is da shiot
Proud Owner of a 2006 Taylor GS Big Leaf Maple/ Sitka Spruce
Hafta agree with Johnos again. Despite being a huge Cole Clark fan Im gonna say get the Taylor. 6 hours is long way when a guitar that is its equal is so much closer. If you had played both and liked the Cole Clark more that might be a different story, but thats a long way to travel to try a guitar that you may not like any better.
Last edited by tom183 at Jul 31, 2007,
Johnos, I am talking American dollars.

The retail for the GS is roughly 2700 dollars, but they are commonly found for 1999.

I'm thinking it would cost me entirely to much to travel 12 hours, food, and all that to play a CC, and I may not even like it.

You guys are a big help.
*cough* taylor *cough cough*

worth the drive. even if you don't buy it!! nothing beats the sexy sound of a taylor. well, maybe i'm over-exaggerating a little.

...nahhh!
Proud Owner of a 2006 Taylor 814 CE-Fall Limited Edition

Quote by MiasmA
guys, i got it. pucture = the rare breed of green fruits that tend to laugh scoffingly and then question a statement. AKA lolwut pears

CASE CLOSED..
i feel your love crystalh, i feel so connected to my taylor haha
I haven't ever had the chance to play a Cole Clark, but Taylor does make great guitars. I obviously can't say that I think Taylors are better than Cole Clarks, but I certainly have no reservations recommending a Taylor to you. My only question is this....

Why are you focusing only on the GS body guitars from Taylor? Have you played the GS and compared it to their jumbos, dreadnoughts, and concert body guitars? If not, I definitely think you owe it to yourself to do so.

As for other brands, If you can find any shops nearby that carry Breedlove, Larrivee, and/or Martin I would most definitely check them out as well. I would say that Larrivee probably offers some of the best guitars for around $2000... along with Taylor. I don't believe I've ever played any Breedloves around that price range. Most of the Breedloves I've played were less than a $1000 or more than $3000... but that doesn't mean that they don't exist and based on the other Breedloves that I have played, whatever they offer in your price range will probably be phenomenal. You also might be able to pick up a Martin D-28 for $2000 plus tax after a little haggling. If you can find a Martin D-28 to play, it just might change your mind about that Taylor
Thanks Jim.

Well I played a few Taylors at the store and I never got to play the GS but from what I've heard about it, onlline and what not, I just thought it would be good for me. It's also right at my price range. However, I've ALWAYS been open to suggestions, and I appreciate yours.

I've never seen a D-28 for that price, but I wish I could. I'll pick up one at the store soon next time I go, see what happens.

What part of TN are you from Jim?
Murfreesboro... about 30 miles Southeast of Nashville.

I usually see D-28s priced at around $2100 locally, so I figure you could probably talk them down to $2200 out the door (which is basically $2000 + tax).
Quote by jimtaka
Murfreesboro... about 30 miles Southeast of Nashville.

I usually see D-28s priced at around $2100 locally, so I figure you could probably talk them down to $2200 out the door (which is basically $2000 + tax).

Sweet bro, I'm in Cookeville most of the time.

Where are you shopping at?
There are 5 or 6 local shops here in Murfreesboro that I like to hit up pretty frequently. The shops here are always much more susceptible to haggling and there's one shop here (The Music & Arts Center on Thompson Lane) that ALWAYS has the absolute best price on anything anywhere. For instance, guitar center and musician's friend both have the Yamaha FG750s on sale for $399.99, but this shop has one in stock right now for $319.99. I got my Takamine EG523SC12 for $379.94 at the same shop, and they sell for $699.99 everywhere else. I got a Boss DD-6 Delay pedal from them for $124.99 back when they were selling for $179.99+ everywhere else. The place doesn't have the biggest selection in stock by far, but whatever they have in is pretty much guaranteed to be priced quite well. They can also order pretty much anything you want, although often times when ordering you won't get a better deal than you would from Guitar Center. So local shops are often the way to go in my opinion. Of course, the bigger stores like Guitar Center do have price guarantees so you can always go in there and get the same price if you wish. There's a guitar center on Thompson Lane in Nashville that has a pretty good selection and the staff there is pretty helpful. If you go in there, talk to Waylon. He's the manager of the Acoustic Department and is a super nice guy. He can usually either answer any question you have, but if he can't he'll find out the answer for you while you're there. There are some morons working in there, though, so be skeptical when taking advice from some of the other guys. There's another place called Nashville Used Music on Nolensville Pike that has a freakin' awesome selection of new and used acoustic guitars and really great prices. If you are going to be in the market for something really nice and high-end, I think that Gruhn Guitars on 4th Avenue downtown is the best place to go. They have the best selection of awesome guitars I've ever seen. You can see their catalog online here also:

http://www.gruhn.com/catalog/flat.htm

So where is the Cole Clark dealer that you were referring to? Memphis? I've been wanting to play some Cole Clark's but I've never seen one in the states.
Holy crap, i went to a pawn shop today that was closed "due to problems" and they had a taylor facing away from the window, so i couldn't see what model, but 420 bucks seems alright.

I gotta check out. :P I'll let you know tomorrow what the deal is.

According to CCs website, the nearest dealer is in Lexington, KY. They have a website, but it isn't worth looking at really other than for the address.

Thanks for those stores man, I'll definitely check them out for sure. Might be a bit until I can, but I do plan on it. I'm a HUGE supporter of small business, being that my family's business is small and I can see the effects of huge chain stores like Guitar Center.
If your in the States get the Taylor. I can't see the Cole Clark being as good value overseas as it is here. Plus the traveling is too much.

Here in Aus Maton and Cole Clark are fantastic value in the mid sort of price range, but I still think Taylor is the best once you get into the higher end. Once you convert the dollars and factor in that most guitars are cheaper in the states than here I think that there is probably better value with Taylor or something else (jimtaka has been through it all so I wont repeat). And also, some shops around here (and I'm in the same city as the Cole Clark factory) still don't always have stock because of the demand. And I don't think International dealers would be doing better. So the dealer that is closest to you may not even have stock, you would have to ring and find out before you even thought seriously about driving down there.

So I say go with jimtaka's recommendation.
I looked at the Taylor at the pawn shop I talked about earlier. It was a cheapo one that looked better off in a dumpster.

So yeah. :P Still on the hunt.
Update:
Went and played some guitars. GC didn't have a Taylor GS series, but I did pick up some various Taylors and loved them.

I went to a Mom & Pop music store and asked for an old Martin or something and she pulled out a D-76!!! Way out of my range at 4,000 bucks, but easily the finest guitar I've ever played. If you don't know anything about them, look here www.thed76.com. Extremely collectable.

I played a D-28 as well, it was on sale for 1799, hell of a price, but I just didn't like the feel of it, I think the neck needed some adjusting.

My favorite out of all of them though was a Breedlove. It was a 1800 dollar one on sale for 1400. I really don't like the looks of a Breedlove and if that seems superficial, it kinda is. Who wants a guitar that they don't like to look at? I like the plain looks more anyway.

So there's my update, still hunting around.
if you can find a GS, i think it just might tickle your fancy. after owning a taylor, i pick up other guitars and i don't feel the want to play them as much as my taylor (which is kind of bad in a way) and even though some say taylor is over rated.. if you can find yourself a nice one like a GS, you'll understand.
Proud Owner of a 2006 Taylor 814 CE-Fall Limited Edition

Quote by MiasmA
guys, i got it. pucture = the rare breed of green fruits that tend to laugh scoffingly and then question a statement. AKA lolwut pears

CASE CLOSED..
Try to play a GS before you make a final decision - I played as many models as possible and ended up going with the GS - mine has maple sides/back with a spruce top. I found it brighter than the spruce/rosewood version, but still having that lower and mid punch that comes with the GS body. LOVE that guitar...
yeah I own the GS, and really it is amazing.

Got it about a month ago, and I am still in awe every time i pick it up.
Yeah I can't wait to play one. I won't purchase anything without playing it. I'm hoping they will have a few different selections there. I'm sure they all sound good though, but I would like to compare them.
Last edited by rsgunter at Aug 6, 2007,
I still drool when i play my GS, jk.
Okay, so I played a bunch of guitars toinght.

Lots of Martins, D-28 mainly.
Lots of Taylors 814ce the most out of them all.
Couple of Breedloves.
Some Gibsons.

My favorite neck, Taylor.
My favorite sound, Martin.

Basically I would love to have the bassy tones of the Martin, with the neck of the Taylor.

The GS series isn't available at my guitar center, they said they won't have them, I"m not sure why, but yeah.

I can get one on ebay for about 1500ish shipped, Rosewood with Cedar top. I've heard from small audio clips they do have some bass, but audio recording isn't like hearing them first hand.

I think the GS would be a good choice, but I just hate not playing something before I buy it. Can you GS players give me some feedback on the action? All the Taylors I played were low, while the Martins and Gibsons seemed a little high for my tastes.
Well first of all. The bass of the Taylor GS has a lot more volume to it compared to all the other taylors because of the shape. I mean its really risky not playing a guitar beforee buying it especially because i havent played a cedar top before and you might not have either. By all means, i can tell you right now, you will for sure be satisfied with the GS, but i do not know if you will totally be happy.
Yeah definitely haven't played ANY GS, which is disappointing.

I think I will love the damn thing as long as it does have good bass and action(playability). I know Taylors have exceptional mids and highs.

It's really not an issue of body wood, just top wood. I'm pretty stuck on Rosewood and it's sounds. From the audio clips I'm leaning towards Cedar, but I dunno, I'm thinking I might want that twangy treble punch of Spurce.

People at GC keep telling me that the spruce won't have the bass of the cedar, but I can't really see that being too big of an issue because of the body shape.

I've always sucked with guitar woods anyway, lol. However, the spurce looks better to me. lol
Well i have a GS8, which has rosewood back and sides, with a sitka spruce top.

It's a classic combo, and I think the bass that comes out of it is really special.
Yea, even out of my maple and sitka GS, the bass can sometimes really take over.
Hrm, well that's some good info!

Ebay is loaded with GSs, but very few 8s. I may make an offer on one and see what happens.

I'm glad to hear some good news about bass!
One last thing though, I haven't gotten much comment about the action of this guitar.

So please inform me of that.
Page 1 of 2