i saw that these two get mixed sometimes and i was wondering if there are any differences between them ?
a coil split makes a bucker sound like a single coil, right ?
then what does a coil tap do ?
and what's up with that series and parallel switching thing i see sometimes ? how does it work and what does it do ?
and what is an 'out of phase switch' ?

thanks alot
The difference is that coil taps don't exist.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
coil taps do exist.. although they're quite rare.
A coil tap allows you to tap a part of your pups coil wire (with a specially wound pup that is). This allows you to choose between the entire coilwire or a part of it, thus changing the pups tone.
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I didnt think they were rare at all, I see them more than coil splits and i have a tap on my schecter.
Guitars-
Schecter S-1 Elite
Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone SG Faded
Epiphone Sheraton II

Amps-
Peavey Valveking 212

Pedals-
Dunlop CryBaby
Boss NS-2
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9

CHECK OUT MY BAND AT http://www.myspace.com/noneofusalone
^ does it give you a lot more hum when you switch it on, especially near a pc monitor or something like that? In that case it's a coil split, not a coil tap Because those 2 terms are constantly mixed up even by the manufacturers. Suckers.

The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
ive never played it near a computer or anything I don't think. lol Ill try it though to see. It does buzz more period though
Guitars-
Schecter S-1 Elite
Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone SG Faded
Epiphone Sheraton II

Amps-
Peavey Valveking 212

Pedals-
Dunlop CryBaby
Boss NS-2
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9

CHECK OUT MY BAND AT http://www.myspace.com/noneofusalone
i saw that these two get mixed sometimes and i was wondering if there are any differences between them ?

yes. People often call a coil split a coil tap, it's a bit like how a tremolo tailpiece gives you the ability to use vibrato rather than tremolo.

a coil split makes a bucker sound like a single coil, right ?

sort of, but not quite. technically it should, but i find it sounds more like a quieter but more focussed humbucker sound.

then what does a coil tap do ?

it reduces the output of the pickup, to give a more flat frequency response curve (basically, treble, mid and bass frequencies are more balanced level)

and what's up with that series and parallel switching thing i see sometimes ? how does it work and what does it do ?

Difficult to explain but i'll try.
Series is all the pickups in a line in the electrical circuit, so the combined output is the sum of the output of the individual pickups. Like a les paul (i think)
Parallel is all the pickups joined along its own route in the circuit, so the combined output is less, the advantage is the sound has more high end output and is better for cleans. pickups in a stratocaster are usually wired in parallel
this also applies to the coils in humbuckers, they are usually in series, hence the big, hot output, but you can connect the coils in parallel to get a brighter tone with a little less output

and what is an 'out of phase switch' ?

its kind of difficult to explain. When you reverse the phase, you are inverting the electrical signal. This combined with an in-phase signal will cancel out, but because on a guitar, the pickups will be in a different position, put the pickups out of phase they will only cancel out the frequencies that they both produce, and it will give you a thin, brittle tone.

EDIT: also guys, sometimes the guitar companies will get their terminology mixed up, thats exactly why the tremolo effect on some fender amps is labelled "vibrato". Schecter might call it a coil tap when its a coil split. I think Ibanez sort of relay between them too. If its on a single coil though, its definitely a tap, because you can't coil split a single coil.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 29, 2007,
Yeah, coil taps are there, but are really rare as they're a pain to do with guitars.

And out of phase signals aren't better for cleans. They don't cut through the mix well and sound very nasal.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
Yeah, coil taps are there, but are really rare as they're a pain to do with guitars.

And out of phase signals aren't better for cleans. They don't cut through the mix well and sound very nasal.

he said that the out of phase signals were more nasaly and thin, and that the in phase parallel wiring was better for cleans
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
he said that the out of phase signals were more nasaly and thin, and that the in phase parallel wiring was better for cleans

Ah, I read too quickly.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
coil split: Ibanez SV5470F, Schecter Hellraiser C-1, Cort NZS-1

Coil Tap: Ibanez JS1200 Joe Satriani Signature Model, Ibanez EGEN18 Herman Li Signature model
Quote by pkweon

Coil Tap: Ibanez JS1200 Joe Satriani Signature Model, Ibanez EGEN18 Herman Li Signature model

I'm sure he doesnt care anymore
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by pkweon

What the hell is the matter with you?

It has actually been over a year since this thread ended, and you decided to necro-bump it's peacefully resting ass to give us information that a three year old could find on Google?

And how did you even find this? Do you just filter for oldest first and actually try to annoy people?

The thread starter is banned, fucksakes!

UG....

This thread has been *reported* for close.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Albino_Rhino at Apr 3, 2009,