I usually use Ernie ball light top heavy bottom strings. I was wondering, what are the best strings for heavy metal. Strings that are responsive to tapping, have good life range, and are good with some drop tunings?

I have been looking at Dave Mustaine's signature strings. What do you all think about his GHS Progressive strings?
strings are pretty much the same apart from how they feel- i personally love Ernie balls
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
elixir strings are the best imo, but they are stupendously expensive, so i use ernie balls. despite the really short lifetime they are top notch strings
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Yngwi3
strings are pretty much the same apart from how they feel- i personally love Ernie balls

and how they sound...

I dunno, to be honest. What type of tone do you want?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
and how they sound...

Do they? because the only difference in tone i've really noticed is when strings are new they have a bit of an annoying noise, and once they're 'broken in' they sound much better (imo)
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

i can notice a difference, anyway. ghs rate their strings in terms of the tone too...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i can notice a difference

TONE PHREAK
haha

Right then... =/ guess i'll be buying some different strings to see if I can notice a tone change
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

haha, that's what i did.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
GHS Nickel Rockers are my fav. The guitar store here doesn't sell them anymore so I'm using GHS Boomers now. I'm not really sure if I can hear a difference or not.

Find out what your favorite guitarist uses and go from there.
My Gear:
Cort X-9 w/ Super Distortion+Air Norton, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat
Line 6 Pod 2.0, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Peavy Rage 158
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix JH-1 Wah
Quote by clonek
Find out what your favorite guitarist uses and go from there.

That's usually terrible advice.

Maybe it's not such bad advice when it comes to strings, but still....
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Yngwi3

which strings "feel" good?
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Quote by ravenrage07
I have been looking at Dave Mustaine's signature strings. What do you all think about his GHS Progressive strings?

i use those strings....pretty damn good...

feels good, sounds good...
Quote by mista cricket

Passive pickups? Are there such a thing as aggressive pickup s?

Quote by guitarman015
What is theory?
Quote by Ht666
i use d'addario strings

+1
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz El diablo 100 Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Korg AX1500G multi effects pedal
It's preference...

Try out as many as you can! Just don't gig or preform with a string brand you haven't even heard of or tried out!

And I can hear differences in tone with strings...

Reason why I don't like to play with Ernie Ball. . They die out too quickly.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee

Reason why I don't like to play with Ernie Ball. . They die out too quickly.

The reason i dont play with them is , they snap on me every 3 weeks , BUT the latest pair of Ernie's has been holding up pretty good.

But yeah , it all boils down to personnal pref...
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz El diablo 100 Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Korg AX1500G multi effects pedal