I am working on my 2nd guitar - I bought a cheapish SG body from ebay made of maple (I figure it'll be good enough to start for my first custom)

I am going to buy a cheap Schecter Omen off ebay and scrap it down for parts (mainly the neck and tuners) and then buy a nice bridge, pickups, and other stuff. I figure eventually I will want to replace just the body because maple isn't going to be the best for a metal / core guitar which I'm aiming for.

buut for now this is what I am aiming for.. something crazy.. Like I said it's goal is to be a metal core metal guitar so I'll probably get active EMG pickups are such, but I'm not sure.

Here is my aimed paint job.. the purple is the base layer, and the green are stripes ontop.. They may be a little thinner than pictured.

I kind of want the green to 'hover' a bit over the purple.. and here is what I thought might work.

Purple layers > Clear Coat > Green Layers > Clear Coat..

what kind of paint do I buy for this?

and what kind of tape would be good to do the stripes? Something that won't peel off the purple and that won't bleed..

BTW - I don't mean for the paint to be transparent.. it'll be a solid color.
Big fan of SG's not a fan of purple...but you pulled it of nicely. I really like the paint job there. 'Tis the very essence of creative awsomeness.
Quote by bighall
Big fan of SG's not a fan of purple...but you pulled it of nicely. I really like the paint job there. 'Tis the very essence of creative awsomeness.

Thank you, I'm in the same boat as you.

I love the SG style, and usually am not a 'color' person. But I already have my black beauty of a guitar, and I kind of want something crazy that will totally draw attention to me when I pull it out on stage.

Now I just hope I can accomplish the effect properly..
Thats gonna have interesting tone, can't wait to see it.
I'd ask someone at your local sherwin williams or lowes or something.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Thats gonna have interesting tone, can't wait to see it.
I'd ask someone at your local sherwin williams or lowes or something.

Good idea.. thanks =)

It's gonna take a few months because I'm short on cash and starting college this August - but I'll keep everyone updated.
might be easier to put the brighter colour down first, so the darker wont show up under it, and theres no need to clear coat when your gonna paint over it.
Don't take me too seriously.

Live Life
Duplicolor or Krylon paints will be fine.

As for paint, I like to use 3M blue painter's tape. But no tape will commpletely prevent bleeding. So press it down onto the body hard to ensure it doesn't peel up or what not. If you can double layering the tape would be a smart idea. Oh and the urple won't peel off with painters tape as long as you let it CURE COMPLETELY. not just flash I mean cure. If you are spraying the clear over the purple this may involve up to 2 months or curing time.

To have a hover effect would be hard. Becuase the hover effect is all created by shadows. And creating atificial shadows woudl look VERY cheesey. The extra laer of clear inbetween the purple and green will help incase you mess up. And I would indeed recommend doing it.
When you spray the green, I guess just doing a lot of coats would help the hover.

Another cool contrast method you could imploy is using purple dye instead of paint. And spraying neon green over it... Thats an alternative.

Btw, most home improvement store employees are pathetic and won't know anything to help you. I haven't been in these areas lately but there used to be some decent painters here.
might be easier to put the brighter colour down first, so the darker wont show up under it, and theres no need to clear coat when your gonna paint over it.

The clear coat was an idea to make the green color 'hover' a bit over the dark. I know it won't be much - but maybe if I put down like 5-6 layers of clear coat?

Good post kaplac, thank you.

How many layers of clear coat between the purple and green do you think would work? And just 'wood' paint? Right? I know I've heard people recommend car paint, but that doesn't make sense because cars = metal. This is wood.

The dye sounds very cool too, I kind of like the wood grain SLIGHTLY showing through like it is in my photoshop and then have a solid purple. Is dye easier to get looking good?

The wood is maple, does that dye ok?