Does anyone know who did the "Original" stairway to Heaven. i want to hear it for my self.
^This post was probably sarcastic

GO LEAFS GO

Chief Executive Officer of Music Games of THE ULTIMATE-GUITAR GAMING FORCE
Last edited by James_Water2 at Jul 29, 2007,
I hope you're kidding about this. And also about being a Leafs fan.
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
Wayne and Garth
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
Spirit by Taurus its not like Stairway all the way, but you can hear similarities. Listen closely.

Edit: Oh my bad. Taurus by Spirit.
SPACE FOR RENT
Led Zepplin
But I think you are referring to "Spirit" The band that was supposed to have done the original riff that Jimmy Page supposedly ripped off. Don't remember the name of the song but spirit is the band.
Unless of course you are looking for Led Zepplin then of course
Epic Fail
Edit Yes it is "Taurus" by the band "Spirit"
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
you have "RIP John Bonham" in your sig, you must be joking
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

Quote by heaven's gate
you mean Led Zeppelin? but page did get the intro from Spirit i think it was...

Thanks i found it

GO LEAFS GO

Quote by sloppyjoe24
They were denied it at the music store though.

Such a shame
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
Quote by irongoat666
you have "RIP John Bonham" in your sig, you must be joking

No my friend and i were arguing and i never heard the myth that jimmy page stole that riff so i wanted to know if it was true.

GO LEAFS GO

you got into an arguement as to whether or not Jimmy Page stole a riff...wow....half of Zeppelins catalogue is stolen riffs/lyrics/songs
Quote by rock_and_blues
you got into an arguement as to whether or not Jimmy Page stole a riff...wow....half of Zeppelins catalogue is stolen riffs/lyrics/songs

Music is not exactly a new invention.
You could say that about 99.99999% of everything you hear these days.

I had never heard this rumor about Stairway before. So I downloaded a copy of the song in question (Taurus not Stairway). I hear similarities but nothing close enough to consider Stairway to have been stolen from this. Inspired by maybe.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jul 29, 2007,
Everyone gets their inspiration from somewhere, who cares if they based in on other people's songs, they did a great job doing so and they're all rock and roll legends.
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
If you're referring to the piece "Taurus" by Spirit, that Led Zeppelin allegedly stole the opening riff of "Stairway To Heaven" from, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogTFdlbup24
Quote by CodeMonk

I had never heard this rumor about Stairway before. So I downloaded a copy of the song in question (Taurus not Stairway). I hear similarities but nothing close enough to consider Stairway to have been stolen from this. Inspired by maybe.

Yes a lot of stuff is redone but not the extent of Zeppelin. Listen to The Lemon Song and then listen to Killing Floor to see what i'm talking about.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
i know people get inspiration from others and bla bla bla nothings new..whatever...im just saying its funny that he was arguing as to whether or not Jimmy would make something similar, based around, or blatant copy of someone elses....when he is notorious for doing that

EDIT:
Quote by igotabcrich32
Yes a lot of stuff is redone but not the extent of Zeppelin. Listen to The Lemon Song and then listen to Killing Floor to see what i'm talking about.

exactly what im talking about
Last edited by rock_and_blues at Jul 29, 2007,
Quote by igotabcrich32

I agree. There is a limit between similarity and being nearly identical.
Quote by CodeMonk

Well, to an extent. Few bands do uncredited covers and state that they wrote them. I'm not saying Stairway was one. Here's a list I found...

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
"Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
"Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
"Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
"Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
"Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
"Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
"How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
"In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
"The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
"Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
"Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
"Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
"Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
"White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
"Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."
Jimmy Page has freely admitted to getting his inspiration for Stairway from Taurus
Spirit has publically stated that Stairway is not a ripoff of Taurus
Zepplin has covered lots of blues artists from the 50's & 60's and have givin the credit on their albums to the original artists. Some of their original stuff is a close approximation of other blues based rock of the era. Basically they were all stealing from each other.
Glad that kinda shit don't go on today.
Edit: I stand corrected
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Last edited by Jackal58 at Jul 29, 2007,
zomg zeppelin stole "in my time of dying" it's totally not their song it's an old blues number. they are soooooooo unoriginal jesus christ. i completely overlook the masterful composition of tracks like "the rain song" because i'm a douchebag that loves picking fights with people over one of the most popular bands of all time.

/every anti-zeppelin asshat ever
I will fuc
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
Well, to an extent. Few bands do uncredited covers and state that they wrote them. I'm not saying Stairway was one. Here's a list I found...

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
"Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
"Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
"Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
"Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
"Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
"Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
"How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
"In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
"The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
"Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
"Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
"Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
"Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
"White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
"Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."

Do you have any idea how many times every single one of those songs has been covered and not credited? They're all old blues standards, you couldn't even prove who wrote most of them if you tried.
I will fuc
Quote by saintjimmy99
Do you have any idea how many times every single one of those songs has been covered and not credited? They're all old blues standards, you couldn't even prove who wrote most of them if you tried.

Uhmmmm, no - they aren't all old blues songs. And before you call me an anti-zeppelin asshat , I'll have you know that I still listen some Led Zeppelin songs. I just recognise that Page DID steal or 'borrow' some riffs/songs as well as writing some good songs. And no, I wouldn't have stated that without prior research.
just listened to taurus for the first time. its actually a very beautiful piece. I don't blame page a bit for "borrowing" a little of it.
As the adage goes, good composers borrow, great composers steal.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.