bass7player21
360 IQ
this thread is dedicated to the best basses on the market for under $100. if u have a bass you like that runs under $100, be good to the manufacturer and promote it here.
thefitz
I Hate Naming Instruments
2,922 IQ
Is there really a best bass for $100? How can you possibly expect a $100 bass to be the best of anything?

EDIT: the only one I can think of is those mini basses that are, oh, half scale.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
tubab0y
old skool user.
1,326 IQ
Or look used. I got my OLP for right around $100.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
whack-a-bass
310 IQ
holy crapp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my fender american jazz bass is 800 dollars!!!!!!!

im going to a pawn shop before i make any music purchases lol
thefitz
I Hate Naming Instruments
2,922 IQ
Quote by CollinPlaysBass
Your best bet is the wonderful world that is pawn shops. Their owners tend to be more concerned about guns and they will misprice the poop out of stuff and you will once in a blue moon get a fender american jazz for $25.

I'm not sure. Maybe that was the case at some point, but I think with eBay and the ease of finding prices, all the pawn shops are too savvy to be a real deal.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
epy
Upright Bass Player
1,607 IQ
u could buy some wood, and a pickup and some strings for a hundred bucks....
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
the_hoople
UGs Floydhead
456 IQ
buy a bucket, a broom, and a thick piece of string. whalla! the best bass you can possibly get for $100.

actually you see Squier series basses go for like $80 on the bay, especially if they are the colors nobody wants. Like red.
Last edited by the_hoople at Jul 30, 2007,
Captain Insano
Bruins Fan
1,625 IQ
You can steal a nice bass for less than 100 dollars. Buy a lockpick to break in the store and a cattle prod to short out the alarm system.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Jul 30, 2007,
staticoverdub
1,607 IQ
my mij yamaha motion b was $65. awesome deal.

dillion makes decent basses that sometimes go for less than $100 on ebay.
Double Basser
UG Board King
879 IQ
my Yamaha BB400 was less then $100

plays really nice as well and sounds real vintage like
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
tubab0y
old skool user.
1,326 IQ
Quote by epy
u could buy some wood, and a pickup and some strings for a hundred bucks....

Not really.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
bass7player21
360 IQ
i know the idea of a good bass 4 under $100 is unreal, but my friend wants to pick up bass, and he is on a short budget as you could imagine. i have seen threads that are best acoustic guitar under $100, so i decided there was nothing to lose.

Quote by the_hoople
buy a bucket, a broom, and a thick piece of string. whalla! the best bass you can possibly get for $100.

this is why UG's forums are so great
83lespaulstudio
Registered "Old Fart"
193 IQ
Quote by CollinPlaysBass
Your best bet is the wonderful world that is pawn shops. Their owners tend to be more concerned about guns and they will misprice the poop out of stuff and you will once in a blue moon get a fender american jazz for $25.

this is a good answer, although the pawn dealers in my neighborhood, know there stuff, or use e-bay for price quoting. buying used is the best deal for under $100.
anarkee
oh the horror!
3,136 IQ
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
this is a good answer, although the pawn dealers in my neighborhood, know there stuff, or use e-bay for price quoting. buying used is the best deal for under $100.

To concur, yes they have gotten much more savvy. I went past a pawn shop last week that I hadn't browsed through in about a year and the prices have just skyrocketed.

Craigslist is a good resource and don't rule out used equipment shops in your area. My local one will carry used "starter" basses by Ibanez, Squier and yamaha sometimes for around $100.- $135. But it is a matter of being in the right place at the right time.
-zj*
421 IQ
Quote by bass7player21
i know the idea of a good bass 4 under $100 is unreal, but my friend wants to pick up bass, and he is on a short budget as you could imagine. i have seen threads that are best acoustic guitar under $100, so i decided there was nothing to lose.

this is why UG's forums are so great

if his budget is $100 then... well.. its pointless. he would still need to get an amp. and small ass 15-30 watters can be $100-150 alone. A getting started a budget of a minimum $250 - $300 would be fine i guess. $150 on the bass $150 on a small 30w practice amp.
Beast_Within
General Buck Turgidson
437 IQ
Quote by IndianRockStar
Its not so much finding a good bass for less than 100, its finding one at all!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-SX100B-Series-II-Bass-?sku=512278

Only one I've found.

That is my first bass right there. Except I got it for free from a friend of my Dad. ****ty as it is I have to say that through an okay amp the tone was not bad and the bass is basically indestructible. The tone knob has no use (more like a second volume knob) and the hardware is of the ****tiest quality imaginable, but I never had the electronics fail on me and overall it was a great bass to start on. Also I have to admit, surprising as it may seem, that it was not afflicted with fret buzz (despite low action) as so many beginner basses are. Overall not a quality instrument, but fine for someone just starting out and very inexpensive.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
djsteiner
210 IQ
Quote by IndianRockStar
Its not so much finding a good bass for less than 100, its finding one at all!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-SX100B-Series-II-Bass-?sku=512278

Only one I've found.

don't EVER Get that bass. I have one and hated every bit of it. Unfortunately i didnt realize that until i got a new bass, a year and a half later.
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
Onaur
Onaur
47 IQ
my Ibanez was 100 bucks only because it was used. but it works nicely
Schmidty8890
314 IQ
my friend bought a really bad bass for 25 bucks. The neck was really fat, the frets were sharp enough to cut oneself on, and there was no marking whatsoever on the headstock.

Actually, it didn't really sound that bad. It just felt horrible to play.
Fender MIA Telecaster with DiMarzio noiseless single coils
-Fulltone OCD
-Ibanez Analog Delay
-Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Fender Blues Junior
Fender MIM Jazz Bass with Noiseless pickups
Mesa Walkabout
Epiphone AC200SCE Acoustic