You will sound tiny and lame without bass. Even when people don't clearly hear the bass out there, it makes a huge difference in filling out the sound.
the white stripes dont sound tiny and lame!!!!!
Member #17 of the RHCP & John Frusciante UG fanclub

Member #52 of the Fender Armada
I don't think you need Bass

Just look at the White Stripes they don't use Bass and there awesome!
Quote by troyponce
You will sound tiny and lame without bass. Even when people don't clearly hear the bass out there, it makes a huge difference in filling out the sound.

did you even listen to the music?
well if you are metal just tune really low or use a baritone
!PRS Custom 24 ten top!
Ric 4001!!
Fender Cyclone 2
2x Harmony Acoustics
Goya 107 Range Master

Quote by x8blitzkid8x
people ruin metal like a7x.
With most stuff you need something to hold the bottom end down, keep you in time and just add a great feel to any tune you play whether it be Rock, Blues, Jazz or even Metal. Get a bassist.
Quote by Harmonystrat

yeah they pretty much do
Quote by Harmonystrat

they do sound tiny

and their guitarist often uses a whammy pedal to make his guitar sound like a bass... and much of the time they do sound tiny and hollow

I was listening to your stuff, and it could use a bassist, or a baritone guitar, or something. It is just too hollow sounding.

At least get a few rhythm tracks on it, preferably acoustic, or something to fill out the sound.

Even a pianist or keyboard player with a heavy left hand would do.

Basically, you need some lows, whether that means major de-tuning, getting a person that only does lows, etc. is your business, but you won't sound as good as you possibly can without some lows, and even though I prefer bass guitar and upright bass, there are many ways to get lows in there.
Quote by civildp1
It's not rocket surgery.
Quote by Kensai
That was so hot my penis exploded.
Quote by killthekingx
I **ing hate Opeth. They make every other band I know look bad.

Quote by beckyjc
some cockwanks just wan to throw 5 stars at her because she has a vag
Quote by Fatso Forgottso
do you think that bass is necessary in a band?
if you need background info, go to www.unsigned.com/thespacecadets, and tell me if you think I need bass or vocals. (I know I need drums, we can't record them yet.) I personally don't think vocals are necessary, but bass...i dunno.
C4C!
thanks

IMO bass is definitely necessary. It's like the icing on a cake. Just try having a bass, play with the bassist, then play without him. You will see a HUGE difference
it's like your ass: It deals with the basic ****.
www.myspace.com/theoncefuturekings

Let me know what ya think!

MUFC

And it'll haunt you, my honey bee,
anyone who's anyone has had that same dream,
where you're falling, or where you're flying,
or were you calling out, or were you dying?
Listen to Mudvayne, and you will hear then, how a bass can make a big difference. More specifically, listen to music off L.D. 50.
Well, depends on how good of a guitarist you have and whether you mean having an electric bass or having something to play the bass line. A really good guitarist can play both the bass notes and the lead and still make it sound interesting (Jack White comes to mind...) and no you do not need an electric bass, a keyboard will be just as good, if your guitarist isn't up to par.
No, having a bassist isn't necessary. There are plenty of bands without bassists that make great music.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Is a guitar necessary?
Are vocals necessary?

Nothing is necessary but it adds something to your music ...
Nothing is essential to making music.

look at seasick steve, who's "drum machine" is just a wooden box that he stomps on, or Lighting bolt, who dont have a guitarist, just bass drums and vocals.

just make tunes. if it needs bass, put in a bassline. if it doesnt, dont.
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
Quote by Harmonystrat

yeah, they just suck.
Quote by Meatwad168
I don't think you need Bass

Just look at the White Stripes they don't use Bass and there awesome!

Yeah, that's why Jack White frequently uses octaver pedals .
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
i think you should use a bass in it, with having a bass you open up cool new possibilities... just look at the band the offspring, they have tons of cool basslines. It also does help to keep your music sounding full even though some bands can get away with it like the white stripes (they just add more bass to their amps)
Nothing is necessary, I'm sure you can find someone who will listen to 3 minutes of silence. I think vocals is a bit more important, just as I think instrumental music is generally not as well liked or appreciated. Add a bassist if you think you need it, don't rely on people you don't know on some forum on the internet to make that decision.
There's a piece of music called four minutes twenty in which a pianist approaches a piano, puts the music up, sits down and leaves with a bow 4:20 later. ( To not much applause I'd guess ).

Bass isn't needed, nothing is. To get a fuller sound you should cover the most frequencies possible. This could be tuning the drums a little lower, adding more bass to your guitar, de-tuning your guitar, singing lower etc.
Bass adds a lot to music, provided it's audible (i.e. doesn't play exactly the same as the guitars).
I'm a communist. Really.