anyone know exactly what they are, im buying a new tube amp from a private seller and he said hes fitted yellow jackets on some of the tubes, he says its to lower the power rating of the amp, but why would you do that?

any info is appreciated, cheers
^Not really. They're adapters so you can use quieter EL84 tubes with your amp.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Yeah, therefore lowering the wattage of your amp. It doesn't work like an attenuator, but it's used for a similar purpose. Right? >_>
yeah, i've been thinking of using it in my valbee to change the tone because i dont really like the 6L6s. but the loss of wattage def would be a problem (its already 5 watts).
Quote by suckasucks
yeah, i've been thinking of using it in my valbee to change the tone because i dont really like the 6L6s. but the loss of wattage def would be a problem (its already 5 watts).

why not just retube it with different tubes
^yes, the shop owner said they lower amp wattage is because u'll be fitting lower gain poweramp tubes. they will give you less volume. but doesn't attenuate anything. It's an adaptor for different sized tubes.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I've used them in several amps. Not the best choice for a Marshall JCM, though. Great for Fender amps such as the Hot Rod Deluxe, Deville, etc. They are EL 84 tube converters that go between the holes for your EL34, 6L6, or 5881 tubes and convert them to EL84 Class A operation. They quiet the amps output down to around 50-70% and are a better alternative to an attenuator, IMO. You will loose a bit of headroom on a clean amp, though.
I like them.
If you look in the tube thread you will be able to see the rough volume they would make an amp instead - A Class AB, 40w HRD with 6L6s retrofitted with the EL84s would change to about 22w.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Whoops, I did mean to lower the volume, which for some reason I was equating with attenuation. I wasn't thinking too much yesterday I was considering these if I did buy the 100 watter I was looking at. Sorry for the confusion and to the folks who corrected me
Quote by demea
I've used them in several amps. Not the best choice for a Marshall JCM, though. Great for Fender amps such as the Hot Rod Deluxe, Deville, etc. They are EL 84 tube converters that go between the holes for your EL34, 6L6, or 5881 tubes and convert them to EL84 Class A operation. They quiet the amps output down to around 50-70% and are a better alternative to an attenuator, IMO. You will loose a bit of headroom on a clean amp, though.
I like them.

You forget that it really changes the tone. EL34's are very differen than EL84's.
It's supposed to be more of a Voxy type of tone.