I was wondering which would be better for me- A JCM600 combo or Hot Rod? I play alot of hard rock and I do like marshall distortion, but the clean is mediocre. On the other hand, the Hot Rod has amazing clean, but distortion is not to my taste. The fender can easily be fixed with a distortion pedal, but the marshall can't. Any suggestions?
IMO, pedals, especially distortion pedals, make any tube amplifier sound so inorganic...how much do you use the clean channel? im not a fan of marshalls but i think its a better choice for hard rock
Yes I feared that a distortion pedal may sound "fake" compared to factory distortion. I have a JCM600 that is broke that I may get fixed, either to keep or sell to buy a Hot Rod
Quote by htsktim91989
IMO, pedals, especially distortion pedals, make any tube amplifier sound so inorganic...how much do you use the clean channel? im not a fan of marshalls but i think its a better choice for hard rock

i guess you havent ventured outside of BOSS at all have you?
i've coincidently had both amps and i can say that the jcm 600 had a lot of reliability issues for me. it has a lot more gain th an the hot rod, i'd say closer to a 900 but more modern. fender gain sucks
Quote by htsktim91989

um.. ok..
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
i owned a deville 410. only sold it because i went to japan. the cleans are golden.

and i used two pedals for distortion: a marshall bluesbreaker and a proco turborat. the marshall for mid to high gain and the rat for stuff beyond that. the deville's drive setting is fine for stuff as hard as Rush, which isnt very hard at all. it's not known for its distortion, but it does take pedals extremely well.
Jcm 600 all the way! also, if your good at eq'in you should get good cleans ot of it!

that fender has the most mediocre cleans of the fender family imo!