... help me tweak it. It's an older model, from when they were still American made. But I want to alter it a little. First of all, more gain. Because right now all I have is a little dirt. What can I do to get more out of this. I know a tube change is in order. We have some dirty Sovteks in there right now (two 6L6s, three 12AX7s).

Also, when the Master knob is at 1/12, the thing is quiet. When at 2/12, the thing is screaming retardedly loud. I know this is a common thing in Fender tube amps. How do I go about giving myself some more room?
Gain: no, all u can do is change tubes to high gain ones, with low headroom.

Volume: uh... yea. it's like that. stop the hand twitching then you can dial a quieter volume.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Maybe one of those cheap volume boxes off Ebay will work, essentially its a master volume, but maybe it'll help with the volume leap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VOLUME-BOX-FOR-FENDER-HOT-ROD-BLUES-DEVILLE-DELUXE-TWIN_W0QQitemZ200134134314QQihZ010QQcategoryZ38074QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
to do that, go for an attenuator. Weber attenuator works wonders.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
to do that, go for an attenuator. Weber attenuator works wonders.

Yeah but its ridiculous to pay all that money for an attenuator when all you want is for your amp to be more quiet. Know any cheaper alternatives?
sell it and get a smaller amp. seriously, those are fairly loud amps. i cant help but shake my head at these kids who get 30+ plus watt amps and bitch and moan because they cant turn it above 2 without mommy bitching.
ur amp sounds a lot better when it's full volume. its worth more than $100 for my ear.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by TehJermie
sell it and get a smaller amp. seriously, those are fairly loud amps. i cant help but shake my head at these kids who get 30+ plus watt amps and bitch and moan because they cant turn it above 2 without mommy bitching.

Yeah, if you're just a bedroom player why get something that'll blow your house down? I think Blues DeVilles are 40W and 60W (4x10 40W, 2x12 60W).

Attenuator would be good, selling the amp for something smaller would be even better if you aren't gigging or practicing with a band.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by staticoverdub
cant you install a logarithmic volume pot?

That'll help. If not maybe take it to a tech who can. Have him swap out your tubes and bias the amp while he's at it. I know JJ makes some tubes specifically for high gain. You can try Eurotubes for those. Or send an e-mail out to Doug at Doug's Tubes, he's very helpful and sells a variety of tubes unlike Eurotubes. Let him know what you're looking for from the amp.

You've got a 60W amp there. That's pretty much a beast, and there's not going to be a lot you can do to get high gain at low volumes. Maybe keep it low, and run a nice OD pedal in front of it? I'm not a big fan of attenuators, as they kinda lead you to beat up on your amp.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Don't think I don't want it to get loud. If anything I could do with more volume. I just want the "acceleration" to be reduced. I don't want 1/12 to be nothing and 2/12 like 70% full volume. So, more info on logarithmic volume pots then, if you don't mind. And believe me, at full volume, it's not that gainy. I want a little more boom out of it.

And I guess I'll just stick to my original plan and get some JJ/Tesla 12AX7s. I've heard they can be a microphonic as they age, though, so I guess that means I'll have to change them more often.