I understand they don't sound quite the same as active EMGs, but why all the hate?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
EMG gets a lot of crap because they are stereotyped as generic LOUD LOUD GAIN GAIN GAIN pickups. and EMG-hz are stereotyped as the OMGZ M3TAL H3@D i cant afford active pickups pickups. i think. they just arent awesome pickups.
It depends on who's playing. A **** guitarist will say Hzs sound like **** because of his fingers. A damn good guitarist can make **** sound OK, and OK stuff sound great, etc.

Before I bought my SLSMG, the guy I bought it from demoed it for me before I played myself, and the Hzs sounded just ****ing awesome. I never expected such pinch harmonics and chugging rhythms. What's even more surprising was how decent the cleans actually were!

However, he was playing through a tube halfstack, so yeah :P
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
I think that it is because people (1) expect them to sound like actives, (2) they are usually in cheaper guitars, (3) they hear the hype and get the hysteria, and (4) they are finniky, and aren't exactly the most dynamic pickups. I think they ARE good pickups, they are powerful, they pretty much don't feedback unless you try, and they aren't overly pricey.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
To be honest, I don't understand either. Hz-H4's are supposed to mimic 81's. They're essentially fool's gold. I guess people don't like them because "ZOMG! IT'Z NOT F4OR REELZ EE EM GEE 8E 1S!!!"
I like the HZ H4 and H4A just fine. I don't have any myself, but played many guitars with them and I think they're excellent pickup, and about as close as you can get to the EMG 81 without going active. They're just not quite as hot, and a lot of players just crap on them for that.

I think the issue that a lot of players had a fews years back was guitars that were essentially hard rock and metal axes (like LTD and Jackson), only to be equipped with the low output H1 model. Personally, I thought this was retarded on the part of the guitar manufacturers to choose these particular pickups. Perhaps they were trying to make their guitars more versatile, but IMO, they should have at least offered the H4.

LTD learned its lesson and started upgrading the formerly H1-equipped models with actual EMG active pickups, and to me, that was a good idea.

Lower models of the HZ line have even less gain. I thih
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
prolly stupid question, but do EMG make passives? or do they just make active pickups n thats it.
Lets all be nice
have you read any of these posts?
Hz=passive
Passive=\=active
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by STABxYOU
I understand they don't sound quite the same as active EMGs, but why all the hate?

IMO its simple EMG actives are: gain and more gain no character, just output, and HZ are crapper version, point made
So, would they(HZ-H4) be suited for really heavy punk?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
So, would they(HZ-H4) be suited for really heavy punk?

I reckon you could get better for the price from companies like Duncan or Dimarzio.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Hzs are kinda muddy, I like clarity myself so they are to be replaced as soon as I'm getting my new amp.
Quote by timi_hendrix
I reckon you could get better for the price from companies like Duncan or Dimarzio.

...Everywhere I've looked Duncans were about $120, while EMG-81's 85's, 60's, etc were about $109.
Quote by Vittu0666
...Everywhere I've looked Duncans were about $120, while EMG-81's 85's, 60's, etc were about $109.

where the hell have you been looking
the majority of Duncan's and Dimarzio's lineups are around $70 or $80

active EMGs are about $100 per pickup
^^Depending what country you live in
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I have HZs in my Dean and I can get great metal and rock sounds out of them. The cleans aren't great, but not all that bad either. Just average. Compared to active EMGs they are ofcourse sub-par, but they are decent pickups on their own.

I've heard that they are expensive though, and that you can buy better pickups for the same price. But they came stock in my Dean, and I haven't felt the need to swap 'em yet. I quite like 'em.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Quote by .arkness:.
^^Depending what country you live in

he's got "florida" listed under location so that'd mean american prices
damn... i loose.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I tried some and I really didn't like them. Just fuzzy sounding and really lacking the clarity and articulation I'd like. Not my thing.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by seljer
where the hell have you been looking
the majority of Duncan's and Dimarzio's lineups are around $70 or $80

active EMGs are about $100 per pickup

All the guitar stores around me have Seymour Duncan's for $120.
Quote by Kurapica
I tried some and I really didn't like them. Just fuzzy sounding and really lacking the clarity and articulation I'd like. Not my thing.

Yup, i guess fuzzy is the word. My H300 came with HZ's stock. Sounded very fuzzy thru my 5150. I wouldnt say its muddy, but very fuzzy. I swapped it with duncans and made sound wayyyy better.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
I wouldn't isntall EMG-HZ in a guitar that didn't come with them. In terms of stock pickups (as long as we're talking about the H4 and H4A), I think they're better than most companies' stock pickups, including the ****ty Duncan Designed pickups you get in many imports.

But if I was looking for aftermarket passive pickups, I'd be looking at Duncans over EMG-HZ any day. The Duncans I got in my Gibson I bought as a set on ebay. Brand new, they were $130 for the pair.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor