Page 1 of 2
I'm sure this has been done, but why do you personally play bass?

Looking back at when I chose bass over guitar as my primary instrument, I always ask myself "why?". And in all honesty, I can't think of a reason why. I mean, I really love the sound. But to the average listener, bass seems to be such a minor role in your average band. I'm not saying it is, as I know how important bass is, but in the genres of music I listen to -- rock, metal, punk, stuff like that, it seems like everything is guitar-dominated besides a couple bands.

That said, I'm just wondering why the hell I chose bass. I love playing it, and don't regret choosing to play, but I can't think of why I wanted to start. Never had a reason I guess, so I'm just wondering what made other people start playing?
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Bass pwns. You can have a band without guitar (yo can have keys) but you need a bass. People always grab the guitar because that's the first thing they see/hear wen they discover rock music. Then the world ends up with a million guitar players half assing it, in ratio to a very small amount of much needed bass players. I hope more people look past the guitar and discover that the bass is the most important instrument.

...Because I'm a guitarist and I know a dozen other guitarists and not a single bassist, and I need one for my band.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I wouldn't necessarily say that bass is more important than the guitar. In all fairness, it depends on what music you're playing. I play guitar now, but sometimes I just feel the urge to pick up a bass (if I actually have one) and just play those killer bass riffs I hear in some songs. But that's just me. "To each his own," I say.
Looking back, like you, I chose bass over guitar when I first started, and I'm not sure quite why either. I loved the sound of it, and I think part of it had to do with seeing Cannibal Corpse live and listening to a lot of Nirvana. Part of it might have been that I knew many guitarists but no bassists. The fact that my hands are big also lead me to bass, because at the time I was thinking that I would never be able to handle playing chords with such a small space between strings on a guitar.

So I broke in on bass, played the hell out of it, and still do, but have now taken up guitar as my main instrument. I get a lot more joy out of playing it, because as you said, bass seems to play second-fiddle in certain types of music, which was the case (for the most part) in metal, which is my favourite. But I think because I played it, I have gained a respect for it. A lot of guitarists I know see bass players as second-rate guitar players, and I think the general audience thinks the same, but the bass is such a crucial part to most of music.

As far as needing a bass in your band, keys can cover bass also. Bass doesn't have to be provided by a bass guitar, though I myself prefer it to be.
Four things:

1) Groove
2) Sheer, undeniable sex appeal
3) You want a band? You got a band!
4) It's the most fun instrument to play, what with it being great for guys with ADD (Constant soloing FTW! Take that lead guitarists) and all the sexual innuendo that comes off of it. It's just FUN!

Edit:

Quote by belialonmyback
bass seems to play second-fiddle in certain types of music, which was the case (for the most part) in metal, which is my favourite. .

I hate to break it to ya man, but that's a user error. I'm a bassist in a metal band and I'm easily the most technical player of the bunch. It's all in how you want to use the instrument, and it sounds like you went on and put in a self-imposed limitation.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Last edited by UndeadPaperclip at Jul 30, 2007,
it really depends on the bassist man. not all bassists have enough mental faculties to think about technical matters and play at the same time. even less guitarists do.
^_^
Quote by nephi
it really depends on the bassist man. not all bassists have enough mental faculties to think about technical matters and play at the same time. even less guitarists do.

If that was a joke, then kudos

If not: That's what practice is for. Self-Improvement. Dedication. That kinda stuff. No one becomes a great bassist in a day, or a month, or even a year. Everyone has the ability to develop those mental faculties, but it takes practice.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
when i play bass, i can jump around a lot more easily. bass to me seems like a fun, laid back instrument and since people tend to only care about guitar, im not under as much pressure to not **** when playing live. bass also sounds better than any instrument when you're turned up loud, its just so powerful and awesome.
I play bass because in the music that I listen to: prog metal it is a very important instrument. And it is fun to do symphonic stuff on it and make it an important instrument so that people think: wow, I always thought that bass sucks, but now...

Always fun to hear that
You know, I wonder that. I am usually pushed down by my band. they put limitatins on how crative I can be because " PLAY BASS AND NOT GUITAR" or something.

But I first got into bass because of how dull everything about it is. I mean, bass in general is new and just blooming and relatively untapped in modern music, with few exeptions. There are soo many different ways to use the wonderfull instrument to change and bring life to a song it is a goddamn shame that most bassist suck today!
I at first chose it because I was pushed into it by a guitar player. Now I have no idea why I play and I'm in trouble because see that glimmer sitting right there in the shitter? That's my inspiration and will to play.
I dont really know either... I guess Ive always liked the sound and theres around 54789156675428 guitarists where I live... even though thats more than people on the planet...
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by silentdob
I dont really know either... I guess Ive always liked the sound and theres around 54789156675428 guitarists where I live... even though thats more than people on the planet...

I'm sorry to say that I only started because my friends' bands' bassist had just quit and he needed a new one. But that was last year, and looking back, if I had the choice between taking up bass or guitar, I'd definately choose bass now.
That is a very interesting question actually... (epic childhood story coming)

When I was about 7 my parents put me in a piano class. I went there for about 3 years and then quit to consternate on my other hobbies. I mean it was fun, but I guess sports were more fun at the moment and there wasn't much motivation.

But I really don't know why I picked up the bass. I mean my parents own an acoustic guitar but I never even thought of picking it up. And I barely touched the keyboards. Even in my early teens, when I discovered music and thought about how cool it would be to be in a band, I'd always imagine myself as the singer (I'm a capable one). Not the guitarist or keyboardist.

I first thought about picking up the bass when I heard NIB by Black Sabbath. It was the first time I thought about bass as an actual instrument and not just some monotone line you can't even hear. I was amazed how the bass can change the whole face of a song by building a bridge between rhythm and melody. I then picked up the acoustic guitar too, but only to play bass parts on it. So with bass I discovered a whole new range of music and bands. At that point I was seriously considering giving music one more chance.

The final push came when my best friend started learning the guitar. He jokingly said that I should pick up the bass and we should start a band. I laughed it out, but I felt it wasn't a bad idea. It couldn't hurt, right? So today I'm still in a band with him, still playing bass and loving it.

I've branched out to keyboards and guitar, but sometimes I wonder why I'm a bassist and not a keyboardist or a guitarist. I guess I didn't choose bass. Bass just chose me.
Bass is the union of rhythym and melodic, which appeals to me on a very deep level. Its almost primal in its attraction.

It speaks to me in way that guitar and most of the other instruments I played never did. I learned to play quite a few instruments, but I have never felt called by an instrument until I picked up a bass. Picking up a bass feels natural, like an extension of my own body.
I just love the sound of bass in loads of different songs ie. Got The Time? - Anthrax
Quote by chinese_jazz
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.

Jaco Pastorius

E-A-G-L-E-S!!
Quote by Molloy35
Two words. Steve. Harris. That's all I can say :P

You said much more than 2 words
Quote by recondite11
You said much more than 2 words
I only ment the Steve Harris though. Damn you and your loopholes!
Quote by Molloy35
I only ment the Steve Harris though. Damn you and your loopholes!

John Myung made me wanna play bass
The most beautiful sound in the world is a beautifully played bass.

Whether it be a perfectly slapped version of "Master of Puppets" by Primus...

Or a beautiful version of "Norwegian Wood" by Victor Wooten...

Or shredding the **** out of it with "Raining Blood" by Slayer...

Bass sounds great.
strings are to close and are really tiny on guitar- my left hand always hurts after I fool with those tiny things.
anyway, bassists have bigger weapons when zombies attack. That's how Jimi Hendrix died. he didn't have a proper weapon. poor Jimi.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
A friend was selling a bass, and he told me it would get me laid and make me famous.

One out of two aint bad for £80

Quote by DonWeaso
The most beautiful sound in the world is a beautifully played bass.

Naa, the most beautiful sound in the world is the glug glug glug sound you get when you pour the first glass from a nice bottle of Merlot.
My right thumb told me to.
Quote by Fast_Bear
someone sig that typo!

no

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
My amp is so loud, it has no number system.

It's only rated in decibels of loud and louder.
Quote by Applehead

Naa, the most beautiful sound in the world is the glug glug glug sound you get when
you pour the first glass from a nice bottle of Merlot.

Nope--Cabernet > Merlot. esp. if its a high end California Cabernet.
WHY do i play bass... hmmmmm i think its just the fact that where i live now im the ONLY bassist (good one, others are sucky and all yucky :P) or just because my brother made my quit guitar for bass :S

Well that was why i play but what makes me play its like hearing some of the solos i have from pro bassist (Victor Wooten, John Patitucci, Tetsuo Sakurai, etc) that just take on all the way!!
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
i feel the need to play bass because my days are very stressfull and i wan t to come home and shake it off with some 128th notes using all 11 of my fingers,2 picks for each finger and my teeth

someone sig that plz...i dont come up with genious statements like that all the time
My gear:
Fender Jazz Bass
Ampeg BA115
Quote by whack-a-bass
someone sig that plz...i dont come up with genious statements like that all the time

Ya know, it's the simple ironies of life that make me smile, like misspelling genius.
Kabir
what made me start bass: Geddy Lee

he inspired you too, you know its true.
Member of the "Shoop Da Woop" club, PM to Join
I havent actually gotten my bass yet so i dont kno how much my weight my opinion has, but one of the reasons i chose bass over guitar was guitarists are waaaaaaaay more common that bassists. i only know 2 bassists but i kno like 10 guitarists, and for some reason being unique always influences my decisions on alot of things. Also Cliff Burton really convinced me how good a bass can be in the right hands and that it can be used for alot more than just a basic rythm. and also as somebody said it just oozes sex appeal ! u can feel a bass but u can only hear a guitar
The first time I played a bass was at school. I thought I was doing well. At home I had a guitar, but I didnt really know how to play it. So when I played bass I thought it was easier and pretty cool (yeah I only played simple lines and rootnotes). Later on, I got my first bass. As everyone knows, rootnotes are boring: I got bored after awhile. I only played songs I listened myself, and most of them only had uninteresting basslines. My bass only got played like..once or twice a week...After sometime (half year to year since purchase) my musictaste expanded and I tried new things to play. Thats when I really fell in love. And thats only like 1.5 year ago, I think.
When I play bass now..I feel it in my heart. I love it. I play/think (when I cant play) it daily and I never get bored now.
soymilk please <3
Last edited by cherry_bomb at Jul 31, 2007,
a bassist always can get in a band. thats y i started playin. there r too many guitar players out there. i play guitar and i couldnt get in a band cuz the had to many guitars already but they didnt have a bassist. plus basses are the ****.
Quote by belialonmyback
bass seems to play second-fiddle in certain types of music, which was the case (for the most part) in metal, which is my favourite

Bah...go listen to Symphony X

I play bass because there are few things more fun than truly locking in with the drummer and playing without even thinking.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
So many reasons that been stated before:
- I'm inlove with the sound
- I love having all the band's sound on my shoulders (Trying to 'glue' everyone together)
- (Very important reason), While the world of guitar in the more popular music (Rock, Metal, Blah blah blah) is already set with its own rules, and just seems like they've kinda ran out of good ideas, the world of Bass in those genres is blooming, most bassists nowadays are so dull in their playing that when you know how much could you do if you would have been the band's bassist, just makes me inspired all of the time.
Although I got into much more Jaz and Funk in the past several months, where the world of bass is much more developed, I still see so much place for improvement.
- Its always been clear to me that Bass is the instrument for me, I don't know why, it just did.
- And undeadpaperclip's four reasons from the first page.
- And much much more I'm not gonna type now, because Southpark is starting.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Last edited by BassistGal at Jul 31, 2007,
Page 1 of 2