i usually stick by the neck i like it its easier on my fingers i never really put thaught into it thats jaut where i played.
then earlier today i watched a clip of modern electric bass with jaco and he said the reason he goes to the bridge is because the strings ar tighter so he can go faster. at first i was a little bit skeptical but after a while it really amde a difference.
before both of my ahnds were the same speed. now if im really giviner my left hand cant keep up.

try it

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I prefer in between the pickups. I used to slap at the bridge though. That was interesting.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Both places give different sounds. When it's a mellow ballad, I tend to play more near the neck to give a bassier, mellower sound. When it's funk, I go closer to the bridge to get a treblier sound.
Quote by banjo1735
Both places give different sounds. When it's a mellow ballad, I tend to play more near the neck to give a bassier, mellower sound. When it's funk, I go closer to the bridge to get a treblier sound.

Same here
Yeah, like said above, the sound difference is more important to me than the speed difference. In the end the speed that you can achieve isn't all that different from one spot to another. It is different but for what I play not substantial enough to warrant where I'm going to play.
Playing near the bridge means harmonics ring out better as well.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
The lower the tuning - the closer to the bridge for me.
'Once you're dead you're made for life - you have to die
before they think you're worth anything'
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by BodaciousZac
Banned because I hate you now.

One day and Im hated
I play closer to the bridge because when I rest my thumb on the top of the pickup thats where my fingers naturally go. Sometimes they wander a little bit foward and I end up playing right above the pickup.
Quote by DoctrDrew116
Jaco plays by the bridge so his harmonics ring out better.

im no jaco expert so who am i to say your wrong but i do know at least one of the reasons is the speed, he said so himself in his instructional video

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Narcotics
im no jaco expert so who am i to say your wrong but i do know at least one of the reasons is the speed, he said so himself in his instructional video

the harmonics ring out better too there
The only reason I'd play at the bridge is to get a Jaco sound and get harmonics when the bridge pickup is soloed. Yes, the strings are tighter at the bridge and for Jaco it was easier to play fast, but for me, the strings are a bit too rigid there. I usually play around the neck pickup, and I usually favour it. Harmonics ring out better when I sound them around the pickup I'm soloing.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i play right on the bridge. When i hit the bridge like a slap, i get a REALLY thick note coming out, and it fades in and out again, like the sound you should get at the beginning of The Zephyr Song by the Chilis.

the bridge is mine. I rest my thumb on it while i play :P
Quote by Fast_Bear
someone sig that typo!

no

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
My amp is so loud, it has no number system.

It's only rated in decibels of loud and louder.