hey guys,
my guitar was setup for elixirs and i herd this guy say that i shouldn't use anything else because of the extra tension that the elixirs have and if i use some other brand i might need to adjust the bridge height.... However my bridge is dead flat on the body at the moment and i think it was before when i had elixirs on but cant remember. So do i need to make any adjustments?

PS this is on my strat
thats sounds bogus to me, BUT if the elixirs did give more tension then you would be raising your bridge with the new strings so it being flush on the body right now should not affect that.
Carvin DC-135
PRS SE Soapbar II

Vox AD30VT

Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Dunlop Crybaby

Member #3 of the Carvin Club (PM MESAexplorer to join)
That's complete bollocks, you only need to have it set up if you're changing the gauge of the strings, not the brand.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Elixers are teh sex

I use them anyway
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
He's trying to make a quick buck from someone who doesn't have much experience. I wouldn't shop there anymore.
on a side note, i've always used d'addario 10's. are elixirs much better? I've used d'addario 9, 10, and 11 but never adjusted the truss bar, is that necessary? i only adjusted the tremolo spring to make the bridge level (or actually tightened so that its pressed against the body and doesn't move).
Quote by black_box
on a side note, i've always used d'addario 10's. are elixirs much better? I've used d'addario 9, 10, and 11 but never adjusted the truss bar, is that necessary? i only adjusted the tremolo spring to make the bridge level (or actually tightened so that its pressed against the body and doesn't move).

imo you'd be better off buying 3 packs of d'addario's than 1 pack of elixrs
My Gear:
Cort X-9 w/ Super Distortion+Air Norton, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat
Line 6 Pod 2.0, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Peavy Rage 158
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix JH-1 Wah
He's trying to get you to keep buying Elixirs, which are more expensive than other brands.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
^ nah he didn't stock elixirs but he said for me to stick with them being that my guitar was setup with them. When he told me, i didn't think it mattered but then i thought about how much extra tension elixirs had.... as he told me that too
I don't know if it's just my town in the u.k (england) or what, but every guitar shop owner/repair/ tech/ man seems to be a total ****.

It's like they all hate their jobs or something.

I can't be bothered to go into details but they are all bastards in my town, except one guy but he recently retired.
my guitar store recomends d'addario's to me, i wouldn't pay that much for strings
Quote by striker327
^ nah he didn't stock elixirs but he said for me to stick with them being that my guitar was setup with them. When he told me, i didn't think it mattered but then i thought about how much extra tension elixirs had.... as he told me that too

my guitar came stock with elixirs and i've gone to DRs and now D'Addarios since then and it still plays like butter. I am not trying to change your string preference since elixirs are awesome and I only changed for the sake of convenience and money. Just don't let this guy's advice force you to ignore your curiosity about other brands
Carvin DC-135
PRS SE Soapbar II

Vox AD30VT

Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Dunlop Crybaby

Member #3 of the Carvin Club (PM MESAexplorer to join)
Quote by timi_hendrix
That's complete bollocks, you only need to have it set up if you're changing the gauge of the strings, not the brand.

It is actually pretty true. The coating on the wound strings that Elixer puts on does make them give off a bit more tension than non-coated strings of the same guage.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
i would stay away from elixirs. the tone wears off in about 2 months. everytime i had a pair on, they wouldnt break for about a year but the tone was horrible at about 3 months. switched to dr's extra life and oh boy i never went back
Quote by black_box

Elixers are coated D'addarios.

Daddario is the worlds largest string manufacturer. Not because they sell the most strings, but because most companies rebrand them.

As for the TS. Elixers aren't going to make a difference. For most strats, unless you have the springs at just the amount of tension needed to hold them back, if you go to a larger guage, it shoudln't pull it forward. You might want to raise the bridge just slightly if you do get a larger guage.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by silent53
i would stay away from elixirs. the tone wears off in about 2 months. everytime i had a pair on, they wouldnt break for about a year but the tone was horrible at about 3 months. switched to dr's extra life and oh boy i never went back

It's recommend that you change strings at least monthly. Most of the tone on strings wears off in the first 2 weeks. Personally, I prefer the sound of older strings, they hold their tuning better, and if they aren't cruddy, I find they play better (unless they are bent)
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio