Hi. im just borrowing my friends account (i dont have one) and im interested in getting a bass trem for my bass guitar.

Ive seen the Hipshot trems and know that you have to route a massive chunk out of the guitar for it, im fine with that, but ive only seen one picture of a Kahler.

Could someone please explain to me how a Kahler bass trem works and send me a few pictures. and also give your personal opinions in which would be a better trem.

Also because my bass is a neckthrough, im wondering if that will effect the overall strength of the body of the bass. so yeah i just need some more advice on this before i get something thats wrong or whatever.

Thanks.
are you buying a new bass, or destroying your own to build on in?

I'd be interested in a tremolo too. So please help this guy.
the bassist from type o-negative uses one.
im pretty much gunna whack it in the origional.

i really want to get one because ive seen les claypool from primus and justin chancellor from tool use trems and i really wanna do a divebomb lol. im just bored and i dont have the money to get a new bass.
go for a kahler if i remember correctly they are flat mounted
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Yeah, all of the newer Kahlers are flatmounted, meaning less routing and they end up looking prettier. All you really have to do is rout a rectangle and screw it in.

And it's a cam system, as opposed to the usual springs in the back fulcrum system. I'm not really sure exactly how it works, though, but they're good bridges.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tombo32
im pretty much gunna whack it in the origional.

i really want to get one because ive seen les claypool from primus and justin chancellor from tool use trems and i really wanna do a divebomb lol. im just bored and i dont have the money to get a new bass.

im pretty sure justin uses a tremelo pedal
Quote by AdamV
im pretty sure justin uses a tremelo pedal

You realize there's a massive difference between a tremolo bridge and the tremolo effect?
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by AdamV
yeah, but im just saying i dont think he has a tremelo in any of basses

He doesn't he only uses his Wal, and his backup Wal, neither have tremeloes
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by tubab0y
You realize there's a massive difference between a tremolo bridge and the tremolo effect?

You do realize that the tremolo that the Original Poster is talking about, as in something to shift pitch, is also used by Justin Chancellor using a Whammy pedal?
haha
Quote by tubab0y

Its a whammy not tremolo. Whammy is pitch shifting, tremolo is the rapid repition of a single note.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
oh well. whammy, tremolo. it all means the same to me. i know that theres a whammy pedal and yeah i think i got that mixed up with what he uses in . well i think the kahlers doing better atm. but yeah would you even reckon that i should just get a whammy pedal? well first of all, kahlers are like 350 and im in aussie so im guess thats in US dollars, hipshots are 200us me thinks. so does anybody have a price on a whammy pedal?
Um, theres this http://www.kahlerusa.com/home.html

I'm also interested in looking into a Kahler Bridge, more specifically the Bass Tremolo. If I get one it be for my up-coming upgrade Bass the Ibanez SR506 (I've got a SR300 at the moment) can those Kahler's go on an Ibanez? Anyone bought a Kahler Bass Bridge?
Quote by Kepulix
I love the sound of doom in the morning, it sounds like... victory
A tremolo bridge on a neck-thru bass is not a very good idea. It would suck every last bit of sustain that you currently enjoy right out of that thing. Just get a Whammy pedal. It works just as well, and keeps your bass' tone up to par.
Rickenbacker 4003
Big Muff Pi
Ashdown Chorus Plus
Digitech Whammy
Peavey Volume
Cry Baby Bass Wah
Small Stone
TR-2 Tremolo
Peavey TNT 115

...I have an empty wallet.
Id go for the kahler personnally coz ive heard good things in the past bout em n thts good enough for me!
Quote by chinese_jazz
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.

Jaco Pastorius

E-A-G-L-E-S!!
Just get a whammy pedal. Don't destroy your bass for something that isn't worthy. You will see that the pedal is as nice as the actual tremolo bridge, and even better because you can do more creative things (listen to some Tool songs, for example schism and jambi, you will understand when he uses the whammy pedal.).
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Last edited by pagiatis at Jul 31, 2007,
Are you guys really sure you want to spend $400 on a bass vibrato (tremolo is the act of rapid change in volume, not pitch)? Not only that, get your bass routed and set up? Sure, I can understand getting on on a custom Warwick or something, but I think it's a rather extreme retrofit, especially considering the pedal market. Hell, for that price, I'd track down a Bass Whammy. Digitech better reissue that soon.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Digitech doesn't really have any plans on reintroducing it, it seems.

Personally, having played basses with whammies, while a fun gimmick, is mostly just a gimmick. I agree, if you're doing a Warmoth and say, you can get the Hipshot for free with a Gecko (An offer they had a while ago) it's fun. But I wouldn't route into a bass. Although, the bass w/ whammy I played was in fact routed, so it can be done and turn out great. Would I do it myself? Nah, waste of money.

"Whammy" effects are fun, but overall I prefer just pitch shifters in general.

EHX POG > Any Digitech Whammy any day for me. Amazing effect.
haha
Yeah, the POG kicks ass, but there's no expression pedal for it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
This is true.

If you really need an expression pedal you can try a HOG, they can get optional expression pedals. But I think that might just be for the special HOG effects, not sure.

Personally I just prefer having blended signal of clean/octave up/a bit of octave down (for extra booty) rather than "whammy" effects. I'd rather do a pinch harmonic or something to fill in sound.
haha
yeah but its not ups i wanna do as such, its downs. like at the start of Prison Sex - Tool, it says that hes got a whammy all the way down, (not sure either pedal or actual bridge) and hes tapping on the string and doing a pick scrape.

i wanna get that loose string tapping sound for some of my songs. so yeah. ill get a kahler if i wanna get a whammy.

still your opinions are greatly appreciated and i would like more.
If it's a Tool song Justin has his Digitech Bass Whammy pedal down.

Unless you need the +1 Oct/+ a 5th setting for the Tool songs like Justin uses, you'd be okay with a current Whammy pedal.

And when the whammy pedal is "Down" it doesn't necessarily mean it's low in pitch. The heel could be down, but it could be an octave up. Research that more, dude. Don't waste your money.
haha
yeah i know that, ive played around with my friends boss ME-50 and i understand the use of the pedal and etc. but like at the start of prison sex if you listen, its got that distinct sound of a really loose string hitting the fretboard. i wouldnt think that a whammy pedal would do that. and im going to be using those sounds so thats why im wondering if its going to be better in getting a Kahler instead of a Pedal.
Whammy pedal. The Kahler is over $400.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
^ Wow, that's the cheapest one by far. All the others are in the $300-$500 range.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Yeah, but it's a good one- the Hybrid ones are the best in production right now.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
I say if you want the whammy bar, go for. I'm planning on grabbing one, despite all the risks and warnings I've received about it. It's all up to you, really. Plus, now you know that it's probably a risky deal anyway, so you might expect that if you buy it.
yeah. well i dont care about the routing because my dad has a professional routing table and with the kahlers its much less routing needed.

that hybrid is awesome. damn its cheap aswell. all the ones i seen are $400AUD> is it called a hybrid for a reason?
Quote by fetishmetal
gm jacksame thing der der der

Barring the fact that this thread is ten years old... it isn't the same thing. There are two types of tremolo. The first is rapid repitition of a single note, or rapid reiteration between two notes (when doing so is not a trill or a mordant). The second type is a rapid back and forth in amplitude.

Whammy bars actually produce the vibrato effect. Next time you're in a guitar shop, see if they have a tremolo effects unit and try it, then try using a whammy bar, and you'll hear the difference between the two.