Page 1 of 2
Hello I would like to gather some opinions on the Confederate Flag. An acquaintance of mine recently got the confederate flag tattooed on his arm (I have no idea why since we're from Canada but that's not the point) and most of my friends take the flag as a symbol of racism and supporting of black slavery in the south. A couple of us decided that just because you support a movement that uses slavery you don't have to necessarily support slavery.

An example I used was my Egyptian friends tattoo of the sphynx and pyramids on his back does not necessarily mean he supports enslaving Jew and he was a racist.

I'd like to get some different views from people who know more about the flag.
I think its still a little wierd. Why would you get something so controversial, something that you have to be behiund you whole life to fully support, and something so wrong as slavery, tatooed on your arm just because it looks cool. Its like getting a swastika on your arm but saying your not anti jew.
Regardless of whether or not it represents racism, when I see the Confederate Flag I immediately see "redneck". Chances are if you're wearing anything with a Confederate Flag on it, you're a straight up asshole.
I have one in my room, I'm not completely racist. I do make racist jokes though.

EDIT: Fuck you Alice. I'm sick of that "redneck" shit.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
I'm a northern transplant who lives in North Carolina, and it caught me off-guard when I noticed that it's everywhere. Most people just have it to show pride in being Southern, and if that doesn't show you how retarded it is, nothing will.

But no one really intends for it to be racist.
Quote by Pacifica112J
To say that the Confederate flag is racist, is crap.

I will fight anybody who thinks differently.

That is the side of the argument that I'm leaning towards but I need to have points of why it isn't so if you could be more specific on why it'd be great to prove the majority of my friends wrong.
It's a cool looking flag, theres nothing racist about it...
And your point about the Sphinx and the pyramids is really good. It's the same basic ideal, but we don't hear about Jews trying to tear down the pyramids.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by ibanez_rocker
I have one in my room, I'm not completely racist. I do make racist jokes though.

Then stop making racist jokes and stop promoting the rebel flag? I don't know what to tell you.
basically a sign that says "hey I'm a redneck, most likely with racist opinions and I'm a guaranteed asshole"
Using it to show your southernism?THat agian, is like using the swastika to show that your german.
I'm Australian. I don't know the whole history of the flag, but here's my opinion:

The pyramids, etc. are not symbols associated with slavery and such although they are symbols of a country/race that has a history of enslaving members of other cultures. The Confederate Flag, however, is a symbol of many things INCLUDING slavery.
I see your friends point though. I own a lot of clothing, etc. that has pictures of Che Guevara. In that sense, I don't condone what Che did and I don't wish for the world to become Communist. I simply respect that the man stood up for what he believed in to the extent that he did, and to me he is a symbol of pride.

Long story short - if your friend got the tatt but doesn't condone their enslaving actions, then that's simply what it means to him.
PIT-DWELLER

Member #1 - UG RIP Cliff Burton Club: 11 members!! (PM Me to join).
Member #6 - Official Angus Young Fan Club.
Member #4 - RATM Club.
Member #4 - 'Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy' club
Personally I think the Confederate Flag looks ten times cooler than the current U.S. Flag...looks really nice on that Dean Razorback too.....Slavery wasn't the only reason the south went to war either so, the confederate flag can be associated with both racism, souther pride, etc. Oh and also, as far as that Egyptian thing goes, the only mention of Jews being enslaved is in the Bible....just more Bible Propaganda.
Quote by Slaytanic6606
It's a cool looking flag, theres nothing racist about it...
And your point about the Sphinx and the pyramids is really good. It's the same basic ideal, but we don't hear about Jews trying to tear down the pyramids.

There's no evidence the Jews built the pyramids. Actually, there's no evidence outside the bible that the Egyptians enslaved the Jews.

The flag in question was not actually the Confederate flag; it was the Confederate naval flag. For those who say it's a "Southern Pride" thing, that's fine. The problem is, the Confederate flag or any iteration thereof is also a symbol of a racist institution and of treason. It's re-emergence at the end of the Reconstruction period had almost everything to do with the KKK and was used as a symbol of white superiority of black people. The Confederacy failed. Tens of thousands of people died to settle that dispute. For people to wave that flag around proudly, even if not racist, is ignorant. The whole idea of "Southern Pride" is just as retarded, like those morons who go around saying dumb **** like "The south will rise again!" But I would argue that many who do display that flag do do it for racist reasons, especially if we're talking about a Canadian who has no connection with the American south. Or he's just an idiot. Either way, he's a malignant mass on the surface of the gene pool.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by WinterMadness76
Personally I think the Confederate Flag looks ten times cooler than the current U.S. Flag...looks really nice on that Dean Razorback too.....Slavery wasn't the only reason the south went to war either so, the confederate flag can be associated with both racism, souther pride, etc. Oh and also, as far as that Egyptian thing goes, the only mention of Jews being enslaved is in the Bible....just more Bible Propaganda.

The Jews were enslaved, read a history book
When southerners use the confederate flag in things, it is meant to be a pride and history thing. They are not trying to be racial or insult blacks...for the most part.
The.
Quote by Scooch
That is the side of the argument that I'm leaning towards but I need to have points of why it isn't so if you could be more specific on why it'd be great to prove the majority of my friends wrong.

Sure, I'd love to.

The Confederate flag is not a racist symbol, it is a religious symbol. The "X" shape in the center of the cross that stretches to the corners symbolizes St. Andrew, since a lot of Southerners were of Scotch ancestry. The 11 stars symbolize the 11 states that made up the Confederacy.

Just because a hate group like the Klan flies the flag, does not mean that it belongs to them, or represents their cause.

The same thing applies with the term "Aryan". Hitler stole the term, then misused it. Real Aryans are actually Persians, not Nazis.
Quote by blackflag49

Learn what you're talking about. There is no secular archaeological evidence of the enslavement of the Jews by the Egyptians.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Learn what you're talking about. There is no secular archaeological evidence of the enslavement of the Jews by the Egyptians.

I didn't specify Egyptians, neither did he. They were enslaved, that was like Global History I.
Quote by blackflag49

No, there is no history of it besides the Bible. Educate yourself before you make yourself look like an idiot.

Edit: haha, beat you to it Dirk
Quote by ibanez_rocker

lol, i hate when people say they arent racist but they make racist jokes.

you can't be "racist". everyone, unless they're ****ing blind, is a racist just a bit.

there is a difference between being a racist racist and just being...a noticer.

a noticer will always say, "that guy is black". he won't necessarily hate the guy but he will have preconceived notions.

but, nothing's worse than the ****ing rednecks here who are like, "i'm not racist...i have a few black friends!"

back on topic, i wore a canadian flag pin for about 2 years everyday and i'm from TN. sometimes you just don't feel like you were born in the right place.
Quote by Pacifica112J
Sure, I'd love to.

The Confederate flag is not a racist symbol, it is a religious symbol. The "X" shape in the center of the cross that stretches to the corners symbolizes St. Andrew, since a lot of Southerners were of Scotch ancestry. The 11 stars symbolize the 11 states that made up the Confederacy.

Just because a hate group like the Klan flies the flag, does not mean that it belongs to them, or represents their cause.

The same thing applies with the term "Aryan". Hitler stole the term, then misused it. Real Aryans are actually Persians, not Nazis.

Yes, and the KKK's white pointed hoods were originally used by Catholic groups in South America. But when you see someone wearing all white with a pointy hood, what do you see? A devout Catholic?

Though it may be misinterpreted, it's controversial nonetheless. And to promote something so controversial doesn't seem sensible. Southern Pride. What is "Southern Pride" anyway? Nationalism is bad enough, but taking pride in one region of you country?

I don't think I can come to terms with any reason people have for wearing this flag.
Quote by blackflag49
I didn't specify Egyptians, neither did he. They were enslaved, that was like Global History I.

The whole reason the Jews were brought up is because someone asserted that they built the pyramids. So the context of discussing the enslavement of the Jews had specifically to do with Egypt.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Pacifica112J
Sure, I'd love to.

real "aryans" are actual Iranian, Aryan is the sanskrit writing for Iranian.
Quote by blackflag49

Actually, yes, I did specify Egyptians.
Oh my gosh, I've been owned....

The Jews were enslaved though, that's all I'm sayin'.

Edit: Wait a minute...

Quote by WinterMadness76
No, there is no history of it besides the Bible. Educate yourself before you make yourself look like an idiot.

Aren't you the same guy who tried to argue Spanish wasn't a Romance language?
Last edited by blackflag49 at Jul 30, 2007,
Quote by KiErAn123
Its like getting a swastika on your arm but saying your not anti jew.

People like you really annoy me. The swastika is a symbol of Dharmic religions like hinduism. The Nazis merely used it. Please get your facts correct before coming out with statements like that.
Quote by supergerbil
People like you really annoy me. The swastika is a symbol of Dharmic religions like hinduism. The Nazis merely used it. Please get your facts correct before coming out with statements like that.

No one is debating that. However, the meanings of symbols can change. The fact is, if you displayed a swastika, no one would think "hey, an ancient Aryan symbol of luck and fertility!" They would think "hey, a nazi-sympathizer!" Just like if I called you a "faggot." You wouldn't think I was calling you a bundle of dried sticks, as per the original meaning. You'd think I was calling you a homosexual. You can't justify the usage of a symbol under an archaic explanation. It's like when the president of the University of Colorado called a female student a "cunt" during a press conference and tried to say she was using a middle English context.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by supergerbil

No. Like I said. Whether or not a symbol is misinterpreted, it's still unsensible to promote such a controversial thing.
Quote by blackflag49
Oh my gosh, I've been owned....

The Jews were enslaved though, that's all I'm sayin'.

Edit: Wait a minute...

Aren't you the same guy who tried to argue Spanish wasn't a Romance language?

Nope.
Quote by Pacifica112J
To say that the Confederate flag is racist, is crap.

I will fight anybody who thinks differently.

Exactly,im English but i know that that flag doesnt mean racism,or is a symbol of Nazis/KKK,because it isnt,its just a flag that has been with that place since the start of that country,and it was a mark of the southern army wasnt it?(correct me if im wrong).
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
^ You mean the mark of a country that doesn't exist, hasn't existed in 150 or so years, and was defeated in the bloodiest war in US history? That one?
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ You mean the mark of a country that doesn't exist and was defeated in the bloodiest war in US history? That one?

You mean bloodiest war on American soil, right?
No, I think in American casualties, it was the bloodiest war in US history.

Ok, n/m. It's the 2nd. There were more casualties in WW2.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jul 30, 2007,
Quote by MustangMan311
I've spent all of my life in the South, and it means nothing more (now) than being proud of being from the South.

Because that's the excuse your Southern ancestors used when confronted by African-Americans.
^^ Why are you proud of that, though? It's not an accomplishment, it's just an accident of birth.
Hi, I'm Peter
Page 1 of 2