im a beginner and i really want to kno what are the best basses for $550 and below? Ive been looking at the mid-priced schecters and ibanez srx's but i cant make up my mind... thx in advance for all the help
Quote by dwillwin
im a beginner and i really want to kno what are the best basses for $550 and below? Ive been looking at the mid-priced schecters and ibanez srx's but i cant make up my mind... thx in advance for all the help

only bass or do you need an amp too?

I would say ibanez is good for beginners!
nah i dont have anything yet so i guess i need some advice for amps too... and which ibanez do you reccomend?
Quote by dwillwin
nah i dont have anything yet so i guess i need some advice for amps too... and which ibanez do you reccomend?

(at musiciansfriend)
Ibanez SRX300 Electric 4-String Bass Guitar $329.99: It has got 2 humbuckers so you have a powerfull tone.
Marshall MB30 Bass Amp Combo $199.99:you need a combo in the beginning. If you buy a cheaper amp, you sound will still suck even if you have a bongo! (my sound sucks now).
I have a good active Ibanez for bit cheaper. no humbuckers though. ask a guy at a shop, mess around with stuff. they actually let people do that.

No Pete Townshend though.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
so the srx's r generally better than the schecters for beginners? and do i need any other effects and stuff besides the amp?
All you should need to start is a bass, an amp, a cable, and a strap. As I always say, a cheap amp will make a million dollar bass sound like crap, but a good amp can make a starter bass sound like gold.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
ok now what im wonderin is do i need a combo or can i just get a cab? i dont know anything about different amp systems and effects
ok nvm on my last reply that was a pretty stupid question... i have my amp picked out and the choice of bass is still narrowed down to an srx or shecter custom 4-bass, a schecter c-4, or the ibanez SRX3EXQM1 4-String. the amp i picked is a Tech 21 Landmark 60 1x12" 60W Bass Combo. If all goes well i can get this but i might have to downgrade my gear if i end up not being able to afford it. IF something happens and i cant afford this setup, which is better, an srx-300 or a schecter omen? i definately wanna get noticed i dont want it to be like in some bands where u cant hear the bass... and obviously sound quality and crispness is very important
o and honestly im not entirely sure what i'll be playing on it... i like everything from metallica to tool so i guess i'd want something versatile
i have an SRX300 and i love it. you can get so many tones out of it. and it's GREAT for any kind of metal or rock. really growl-ish lows. just be sure to get a new set of strings. my stock ones sounded like crap compared to brand spankin new ones. DR's or ernie ball hybrid slinkys are good . new strings will make it sound incredibly bright and have really nice highs.

also, the srx series are known to have very good durability and are built very well. ive dropped mine a couple times and hit it on walls numerous times and it still doesn't have a scratch on it.
cool and thx for the string advice i was looking at new strings but before i thought it wasnt worth it... yea im pretty sure now that im getting an srx but i could use some feedback on the amp i chose

thx!
o and honestly im not entirely sure what i'll be playing on it... i like everything from metallica to tool so i guess i'd want something versatile

I don't know what they use, but for the metal kind of sound I'd buy a 5-string bass with active pickups: jazz pickups is what myung uses from DT and that is very heavy music sometimes!

You can buy a 4 string but than buy thick strings so you can detune it very wel!!
for amps, anything besides marshall.... if you get an ibanez, get an ibanez amp, otherwise i always recomend GK
im still wonderin one thing tho... are schecter custom 4's and C-4's any good? i just wanna be sure im getting the best for my money before i buy