My dad has a 1980s Peavy Razer..For a picture of it, heres a link.

http://www.myrareguitars.com/epeaveyrazer.html

Now the problem is when I try to mess with the tone switch, it feels loose...loose as in when I try to switch pickups, I don't "feel" the clicking of the switch..I have no idea on how to fix this, and I could just turn it in to a repair shop..but would anyone have any idea how to start on this?
I don't quite understand. Is one of the tone controls faulty or is it the pickup selector that's faulty?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
ahh sorry..i shouldve clarified this.

1. Yeah the guitar Plays

2. The tone knob works, its just the pickup selector that has crapped out, like before when I mess with the switch, you hear a click when you go from rhythm to tremelo ...now it doesn't even change which pickup to use, its stuck on rhythm
Oh, then you need a new switch.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Allrighty... Is it worth taking to a guitar repair shop?

I have no idea how to fix this myself, but if someone can point me somehwere, id be willing to learn.
Open up the back and take some clear, focused pictures of the switch. Try to see if you can label wires with little masking tape flags, maybe even try to sketch out the wiring layout in a schematic.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

I opened up the back and here's what I've figured out so far.

I have no knowledge of wiring or making a schematic, so sorry if its still unclear. I pretty much have a month left before school starts, and this would be the only time I have to do a project like this.. If anyone is willing to pretty much baby me through the whole project, I'll be willing to listen. It doesn't seem worth it to turn it in to a repair shop, so I might as well try to learn something from this.

Thanks so far for the help
Alright... Let's see...

That switch is most likely a DPDT on/on/on switch. Those are fairly easy to find. They're 10.10 USD on Stewmac, and 8.50 USD at Warmoth.

EDIT: You don't happen to find the tone a touch too mellow, do you?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

I actually enjoy the tone being that mellow, It's pretty versatile.

Hm okay, lets say I actually try to do something with this. Im assuming I can find this kind of switch at an hardware store (Radioshack?)

All I have to do is unsolder the parts and solder the wires onto the new switch?

Now I know why you asked if it sounded mellow. I always wondered why sometimes my yamaha humbucker would sound heavier than the Razer. But yeah, the numbers next to the K makes more sense now.
Last edited by elepunk at Aug 4, 2007,
Try a store which sells instruments. If not there, try a electronics supply store. Radioshack is pretty much a last resort.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Allright..I'll look out for it.

But yeah, after getting the piece, I can just unsolder the old switch and solder it back on, after labeling which wires go where?
Yes. Make sure you get an on/on/on switch, otherwise you won't be able to get the neck and bridge on at the same time.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says: