Hey all, Ive been kinda wondering this for a while im thinking about gettin a cheap squire affinity strat with 21 frets and pimping it out for live use.. reason for this is I play in a modern/commercial rock band, im a bit of a shredder really so ive always practiced sitting around on 24fret ibanez's lol but standing its such a stretch for me!! (although i plan to fix this!) im thinking having a short neck guitar mite help me out for now for those legato runs ect..

..am I crazy?

chris.
Practising standing up is a lot cheaper than getting a shorter necked guitar, no matter how bad it is.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
It's hard to play anything past the 15th fret on a squire because the action just sucks so that won't help you at all. If you're having trouble reaching the bottom frets raise your strap so that the guitar is higher up that usually helps me.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
Blackheart little giant head
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
yes i'd agree with saying raise your strap...also dont get a new guitar just to change a difficulty in playing, thats what practice is for. practice standing up from now on.
well bend down... or just put your leg on the monitor amp and rest the guitar on your leg for solos...looks cool and its easier for you...

or just keep practicing till your muscles die
Quote by shredzilla
It's hard to play anything past the 15th fret on a squire because the action just sucks so that won't help you at all. If you're having trouble reaching the bottom frets raise your strap so that the guitar is higher up that usually helps me.

1. SQUIER
2. if you can't play past the 15th fret, well...
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Yeah, raise the strap higher, or find a monitor for the "Shred Position". Use it like John Petrucci's glorified foortrests, it'll help out.

Also, if you're a real shredder, people other than the drunken idiots who know nothing about guitar at shows won't mind if you wear it high. Just look at Rusty Cooley and John Petrucci. People respect talent before looking cool.
Quote by Blompcube
1. SQUIER
2. if you can't play past the 15th fret, well...

So I misspelled SQUIER and I'm saying that the Ibanez that he has will most likely play a lot better then the squier he plans on getting especially the affinity series.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
calm down lol, thanks guys i dunno I would O SO HAPPILY wear my guitar at nip height but the bands kind of serious and if I started doing that the guys would not be impressed! Plus its pretty high energy live and i know having the gee-tar so high would piss me off after 5 mins .. good for solo's.. annoying when ur trying to thrash out rythm lol..

I intend to practice standing up from now on.. but its just so hard when it comes to high-tech stuff, im a legato player much more than picker bitch is tough legato bits just seem impossible standing I know to practice I play guitar non-stop but I just get the feeling my fingers aint gonna bend that way lol.. i dunno maybe im having bad day and its all just getting to me ..
Quote by synth002
calm down lol, thanks guys i dunno I would O SO HAPPILY wear my guitar at nip height but the bands kind of serious and if I started doing that the guys would not be impressed! Plus its pretty high energy live and i know having the gee-tar so high would piss me off after 5 mins .. good for solo's.. annoying when ur trying to thrash out rythm lol..

I intend to practice standing up from now on.. but its just so hard when it comes to high-tech stuff, im a legato player much more than picker bitch is tough legato bits just seem impossible standing I know to practice I play guitar non-stop but I just get the feeling my fingers aint gonna bend that way lol.. i dunno maybe im having bad day and its all just getting to me ..

The keyword is your lefthand position. 80% of all players have it wrong. Work on that and try different leg positions as well.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Then find something to rest your leg on, look at a malmsteen performance, he's always resting his leg on the monitor.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
so lemme get this straight. practice on the good expensive ibanez at home. play live shows with the cheap and most likely crappy squier at shows n gigs.

is that right?
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
The squiers neck isn't nessicaily going to be shorter because it has less frets. And tbh, I have a short scale guitar it is NO easier to play than a full length scale.
You just need to practice.
Try the Zakk Wylde stance as mentioned before one leg propped up on a monitor. It brings the guitar closer to your body and it doesn't look that stupid.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/pop-up.asp?storycode=12797&seq=1&type=P

cheesy pic I know but it gets the point across.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
LoL nah Ive kinda always thought having guitar too low looks bad lol...

Im play standing from now on ALL THE TIME GOD DAMN IT!!! HEAR ME WORLD!!! IM GONNA BLOODY WELL DO IT AAAAAARRRRRRHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
yes your crazy.

I play standing up most of the time and I find it easy and I play my guitar low. Just keep practicing, I wouldn't even think about getting a smaller guitar especially a squire
well dont wear the guitar too low...not on your knees...your supposed to be picking just over your crotch...eeeek
picking over your crotch is a preference.. i pick at like the bottom of my ribcage
Strats dont have shorter necks than ibanezs. They are both 25.5 inches from nut to bridge. Having less frets does not mean it is shorter, it depends on the scale length of a guitar.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by shredzilla

It bothers me that people still don't understand that guitars don't come set up well from the factory, and that action is easily adjusted.
Quote by fredthecat
It bothers me that people still don't understand that guitars don't come set up well from the factory, and that action is easily adjusted.

Even if you lower the action on the squier to a comfortable level there is a lot of buzzing on the top frets, so you would have to do a lot more then adjust the action to get the buzzing to stop. The point I was trying to get across was that his Ibanez is better then the squier he was/is planning on getting.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1