shredmeiser101
bomb-chika-wah-wow
2,706 IQ
right now the capo i have is a crappy plastic ratchet-style one that barely works so i'm planning on getting a new one. What's the best capo on the market for the price in your opinion?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
hamish5178
1,510 IQ
Dunlop makes nice ones, just get a regular spring loaded one, make sure it'll fit your guitar, don't get an elastic one, and don't spend more than $12 on a fancy one, it's a waste.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
shredmeiser101
bomb-chika-wah-wow
2,706 IQ
thanks for the advice, i think i'll go dunlop
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
corrylb19
is your father...
846 IQ
NO!!!!! I've used kyser, they work perfect, plus every guitarist i know uses kyser.
roamingbard13
needs a nap.
1,700 IQ
I have both a kyser and the dunlop trigger style, and I much prefer the dunlop. It stays out of the way a lot better.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
crystalh
Santa's little helper
552 IQ
yea i'm going to have to say kysers. they're simple. and they last forever. and work perfectly.
Proud Owner of a 2006 Taylor 814 CE-Fall Limited Edition

Quote by MiasmA
guys, i got it. pucture = the rare breed of green fruits that tend to laugh scoffingly and then question a statement. AKA lolwut pears

CASE CLOSED..
Dix_Fix
J.O.A.T.
925 IQ
Yeah the G7th capos are really easy to use & are a nice low profile (dont snag your barring finger when sliding back over the capo) ive got like 5 different capos at the moment , for different guitars/banjos , one of my banjo capos is a hair elastic & a shortened pencil, (it worked for Earl Scruggs).
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
johnos
641 IQ
I'm fond of the Keyser's and the Jim Dunlop's. Both are really good and both cost the same, so see if you can try them and figure it out yourself. In the end they are both good and theyre shouldnt be much difference.
staticoverdub
1,607 IQ
i used to have that. really nice capo. sort of the capo to end all capos.

worth $40? i dont know... but it's definitely one of the nicest ive ever used.
Wylde_Life
Guitarslinger
964 IQ
the best valued Capo is the Jim Dunlop Trigger Capo, $12 when they could charge a lot more and people would pay it
r1pp3z
150 IQ
I have a G7th and it is the best capo I've ever used. They gave one to me at GC for 25$ though. Even if I had to pay full price I'd said it's worth it. But if you don't have that kind of money to spend on a capo, kysers are a close second IMHO
subpop
Led Zeppelin's 5th member
155 IQ
I have a Planet Wave's capo and it works really well.
My gear:
-Fender Jaguar HH
-Fender Fat Strat
-Guild GAD-G212
-Washburn D33S
-Vox AC30CC1 tube amp
-Vox 847 wah
-EH Big Muff
-EH Double Muff
-EH POG
-EH Small Clone
4winds
10 IQ
i'm sorry about how naive i am, but i'm looking at the dunlop trigger flat guitar capo; a flat guitar is another term for acoustic? i'm looking for a capo, i have a takamine g-series acoustic, and im wondering if the above capo would work well with it, the pencil and rubber band is getting a little bit old.
mattreid222
UG Senior Member
675 IQ
i used to have a g7 capo and because it was so smooth that at gigs when my hands were all sweaty it took me ages to put it on properly
POST FINDER
The AfterLight
40 IQ
I've only used one and it's a Kyser. I bought it when I got my first guitar seven years ago I think. Either way, it obviously hasn't let me down or broken or anything.
Trowa21
252 IQ
kyser is the best i think, quick, fast easy and it last, you may never have to buy a new one, not unless you lose it lol.
Gloubu
Taylor Acoustics
51 IQ
I'm a big fan of the Kyser 'Quick Change Guitar Capo'...
I rock, and therefore, I am.
Fryer Mike
2,007 IQ
Jim Dunlop
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Jerome G
98 IQ
I don't know how you can get better than the G7 besides making it lighter. The Keysers are nice also, but it feels like they clamp down too hard. You can adjust the G7 just to put the right amount of pressure. I guess that would come in handy if you have guitars with different neck thicknesses (sp?).
It surely is pricey though, but the question was "Best Capo", not "best capo for the money". Besides, many spend thousands on guitars, so what's an extra $40 ?
Dix_Fix
J.O.A.T.
925 IQ
$64.49 AUD i bought a new one for my maton On Friday (i already have a G7th Banjo capo.)
Oh that is with postage.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/G7th-Performance-Capo-The-Worlds-BEST-CAPO_W0QQitemZ290147695160QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33050QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Aug 11, 2007,
shredmeiser101
bomb-chika-wah-wow
2,706 IQ
I've already gotten a capo, but i'm glad to see the interest in the subject. I ended up getting a kyser one and it suits me pretty well for the price. Thanks anyways
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Guitar_Dan_666
Dislikes above username
796 IQ
I HAD a Shubb one.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
godofthemoon
Play till the sunn rises
207 IQ
kyser.. is good really strong capos
When the sun falls the moon rises...

My attempt at art lasted for an instant and then faded like a candle without oil...

When i get around to making more candles hopefully my art will return in a perfect form that all can appreciate.
blu_flame34
Home of the Celtics
357 IQ
Yuh I've got a Kyser and it's worked well for me for about two years now nothing wrong with it. Spring-loaded is yummy

My sister uses the same one, and I mention her because she capos nearly ALL her songs, so it's getting decent usage. She's had it for a year and a half (after a few months I pushed her into getting the same one!).

And while we're all here, is it incorrect for me to pronounce it "cap-o", cause I hear most people saying "cay-po". Am I wrong, or is it regional, or can I just pass it off and say it's a sexy foreign accent?
SathiaSun
Has a Pancake Fetish
304 IQ
What exactly is a capo.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
blu_flame34
Home of the Celtics
357 IQ
It's a little accessory you stick on the fretboard of your guitar so that the notes you play on each string are essentially higher.

For example, if you place the capo on the third fret, what WAS the "fourth fret" now becomes the "first fret". If you play an open E chord, in effect, it is actually a G chord. If you play an open A chord, it is actually a C chord. You've brought the entire thing up by three-half-steps by placing it on the third fret.

It can help you in situations where fretting would be tiresome and unnecessary. Or it can just higher a song by however many half steps.

Capo
Dix_Fix
J.O.A.T.
925 IQ
I got my new one G7h finally arrived

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Negative Burn
Elite
26 IQ
I have a Shubb one right now, it works perfectly fine (as I'm sure all those aforementioned do), but I'm going to purchase a Keyser and see it how it works--the fact that I can release/move it with one hand easily and park it on my headstock is appealing to me. Sure, I would like one of those G7 capos, but the price is too steep for me. It would be nice if guitar stores actually had display models to experiment with so people could actually try them out.
Last edited by Negative Burn at Aug 17, 2007,
sicpuppy
2,246 IQ
I use a G7, well worth the money. Like someone said, whats an extra few bucks when you spend hundreds/thousands on guitars? It will last, never let you down and they look sexy :P
Cort M800 - £320
Cort MR780FX - £220
Negative Burn
Elite
26 IQ
Well some of us are poor college students :P

While it's true we are willing to spend hundreds or thousands on a guitar, this is just a capo, and when there are plenty of alternatives that perform/feature the same (or close to it) functionality and reliability WHILE being roughly 1/3rd the price, so even though the G7 may be perceived as being slightly better, the price difference makes it a no-brainer for me. Again while I have not personally tried the G7, I have heard nothing but good things about it--the price point is really the main thing stopping some from buying it.
Last edited by Negative Burn at Aug 17, 2007,
Dix_Fix
J.O.A.T.
925 IQ
Yeah they cost a lot i've got 5 capos for guitar & i got a great deal on a G7th banjo capo on a banjo forum, & it totally sold me so i went without weed for a week & bought one for my guitar no more dramas. It fits my 12 string up till 4 fret as well

Oh excuse the filth of the fretboard as this guitar has a bellying problem & i havent got around to fixing it yet. So it dont get played much as you have to be superman to hold down barres LOL

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Aug 17, 2007,