hi, I was wondering what is the best way to learn guitar, i've been using my songbook but i dont progress from it well as i get bored quickly of reading notes, i play by ear sometimes, i personally gain more from playing by ear, but it takes a bit of time and i cant figure out the really fast solos by ear, do i use a song book for that. All i know is how to play, i don't know theory or anything else. I was reading bout the best way of playing guitar and it says you dont need to know any exercises or ****, just use your ears. Any thoughts?
What?

You can't just tell someone the best way to learn guitar, you can't sum it up in one sentence.

Work hard, learn by ear but also read tablature and sheet music, learn plenty of theory.

TAKE LESSONS
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
you dont really need to know theory or get lessons, a lot of great guitarists didnt.
just go at your own pace for now, try and learn some songs that you like. youll eventually learn to play faster and better. i recommend using guitar pro as well, it makes learning tabs so much easier
Playing by ears is not for everyone, but it works for you so stick with it. Also practicing scales and learning chord shapes and progressions should help you out in the long run. I'm a beginner myself and, for me, practicing riffs or scales, or anything at all, with a metronome works best as I notice I can keep the tempo better and eventually memorize the riffs to perfection. I haven't tried it yet, but apparently jamming with a friend or with a band speeds up the learning process. But once again, you need to know some theory to be able to come up with a riff to play with somebody.
Quote by budgie182
you dont really need to know theory or get lessons, a lot of great guitarists didnt.
just go at your own pace for now, try and learn some songs that you like. youll eventually learn to play faster and better. i recommend using guitar pro as well, it makes learning tabs so much easier

This is terrible advice, just because Jimi Hendrix knew very little theory and probably never took lessons doens't mean you should too. "Many great players" had incredible natural talent and worked very hard for many years, for the average player, not taking lessons will limit them musically and they won't be as motivated to progress, also, imagine if those great guitarists had known theory, how much better would their music have been? Alot!

It's like saying "Slack off in school, Einstein did it and he was a genius!"
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
It is true that NOT EVERYBODY needs lessons or theory, and that lots of great guitarist didn't, but then, plenty did. If you feel you need lessons, or you're stuck early on, have a lesson, see if it's for you, if not carry on how you are.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
Have lessons from a good teacher, it'll help you a ton. Teaching yourself on your own might be hard and you might not progress enough and make terrible mistakes (developing bad hands techniques and bad habits etc.)
Quote by rabidguitarist
safe mode is like safe sex. there are so many things you can't do.
Quote by budgie182

sorry, but i find this advice to be very repulsive for two reasons:

1: you're giving the person that's asking for help the idea that guitar's a venture that has logical and theoretical basis that needn't be understood, and they can achieve mastery without knowing what they're doing

2: it seems to be closed-minded, i believe that being a well-rounded musician would encompass the idea that a person have a good knowledge of basic concepts (be flexible in musical situations), and i believe that these same musicians should be able to convey their musical ideas without much trouble to other musicians.

If however, you do not plan on playing with other people and are simply doing this for enjoyment, you do not need lessons. But, I feel that if the knowledge is available to you, there's no reason to deny it. Remember, music theory and guitar technique have hundreds of years of history behind them. They're around to help you, not to hurt you
Last edited by silvadolla at Jul 30, 2007,
hmmm do we really need more people to play guitar really.. I mean our numbers are pretty large.... how about we just stop recruting people...lol

However it is more benefecial for me if newbies want teachers so let them join the ranks ...

If you want to be good.. all you have to do is copy other people for many years.. So start playing your favorite artist till you can play it perfectly..learn music theory..and then use your knowledge to create your own stuff..also i suppose you need to know all the little tricks so get a teacher to teach you junk like pinch harmonics other junk like that..
When the sun falls the moon rises...

My attempt at art lasted for an instant and then faded like a candle without oil...

When i get around to making more candles hopefully my art will return in a perfect form that all can appreciate.
sorry, it seems i didn't answer the initial question, so i'll do that now.

In my opinion, the most successful learning is done in a group setting with at least one skilled instructor. Being in the company of peers with the same task at hand may be a motivating factor and ultimately boost your progress. I would also stress that you try to meet other musicians and play with them as often as possible (form a band if you can). I feel that you can progress VERY quickly with early, correctional instruction in a group setting.

that's my two cents.
Learn your theory, NOOB

anyways, the best way to learn is the slow way. To get something right, you have to ge it wrong. Go to lessons. have somone teach you. learn to read notes. learn with friends who are just starting too. **** a dead cat

do all of the above and youll be a great guitarist :P
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
This is my opinion on the best way to learn.

Learn something that interests you: You don't need or have to learn anything. Nothing is required when you learn guitar.

Take lessons or have a friend to help you along the way.

Use exercises: Pentatonic scales, chromatic passages and all that jazz

Theory: I know you don't have to but it will increase your understanding of your instrument by so much.

Learn songs of your favorite bands and also try different styles.
Quote by silvadolla

1: you're giving the person that's asking for help the idea that guitar's a venture that has logical and theoretical basis that needn't be understood, and they can achieve mastery without knowing what they're doing

2: it seems to be closed-minded, i believe that being a well-rounded musician would encompass the idea that a person have a good knowledge of basic concepts (be flexible in musical situations), and i believe that these same musicians should be able to convey their musical ideas without much trouble to other musicians.

Yeah, i like the way you said that. Why would you not atleast want to learn something that can only educate you in something you want to learn.

To TS:
Good way of learning to play the guitar,

Want to.

Want to learn good posture
want to learn to practice correctly
want to learn scales
want to learn chords
want to learn rhthym
want to learn theory
want to learn everything about guitar.

being able to play by ear is a great thing, and i wish i had that ability(working on it tho), but understanding imo is greater.
epic7734
thankyou, i am learning a lot of Slash related music, i just get bored of using a songbook, i know pretty much all the techniques, pinch harmonics, harmonics, palm mute, muting, scratching etc. Its just hard for me to learn from a song book as i get bored of them for some reason, i dont think i progress much from them, i also have discovered i play A LOT better on Les Paul model guitars for some reason, i own a encore strat beginners guitar, it doesnt feel as nice.
WEll if your like me and teaching yourself without the lessions at the moment, I find using a good instruction book complete with audio cd(it helps to really know what it is your playing whether it sounds liek what your meant ot be playing) and yeah i am progressing.

At the moment I'm using the progress guitar method series, hmm and i think those sorta books are useful. It starts from the first string, teaches you the notes relating to music sheets and where they are on the first 3 frets of each string. Basically first section = first string, teaches you the open E, first fret for : F, and 3rd fret for G. Shows you where it corresponds on music sheets, at the same time it chucks in abit of music theory: time signatures, rests etc.

And you also practice for each string 2-4 songs usually.

I think these are the best practice , books which swish in theory with actual hands on learning of the guitar. Sure they are little songs , you wont find no Sweet CHild of Mine in there, but their still songs, you get practice playing, music theory, what more can you want and good illustrations, so yeah helps for learning by yourself.

I went overseas, grabbed one or two guitar books, i say soak up as much as you can. But yeah spend time in the bookstore to see which guitar books seem to be the best, some make learning interesting, while others i took one look and put it back on the shelf!