Would it be possible to put two single coils side by side in the bridge position of a guitar so you could have both a single coil sound with one activated and a humbuckerish sound with both activated? Or would it not really work out that way?
Quote by Kurapica
I once used an SG on stage. I killed three people in the front row and I was only tuning up. It's THAT powerful.

Quote by aeliustehman
I've never seen Metallica use a wah pedal lol.

Quote by BWall1226
does putting stickers on a guitar make someone a poser cause im doing the same thing.
You can fit some humbuckers with a coil split to do that, or indeed just move the middle pup of a strat closer to the bridge to function as you say.
Quote by blue_strat
You can fit some humbuckers with a coil split to do that, or indeed just move the middle pup of a strat closer to the bridge to function as you say.

Wouldn't moving the mid pick up of a strat still not enable one to combine them into a humbucking style configuration? I think that coil taps are a way better means of getting that sound.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Old italian guitars from the 60s did that quite a lot. They had two single coils placed side by side with toggle switches for each coil.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
It would humbuck (remove the hum :-/), as is usual on the 2 and 4 positions on a strat, but it wouldn't sound powerful like a humbucker, no.
The standard way of doing this sort of thing is installing a humbucker and adding a push pull pot for a coil tap feature.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
or do it the hard/cool way, put a single coil, and a single coil sized humbucker in there. noice.