Page 1 of 6
ok so i started this thread to see who the ug'ers think are overated guitarists......
me i have 2 and i may get flamed for these but....

1. jimmy page (sorry hes a great writer but hes really sloppy)
2. zakk wylde (ah those pinch harmonics and well just blah)

so who do u think is overated?
Jimmy Page
Angus Young
Slash
Jimi Hendrix

I appreciate all these guys did but they are not fantastic guitarists.
Slash.
that dude in MCR
both the guys in Trivium
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by gallagher2006
Dimebag Darrel
Angus Young
Jimi Hendrix
Steve Vai
That bald guy
Kirk Hammet

Usually people have to be a pretty bad guitarist to be overrated..
the guys in opeth!! kerry king, john 5, eric clapton, jimmy page, dimebag darrell, kirk hammet, dave mustaine, and the dudes in lamb of god..
Originally Posted by timi_hendrix
Gibsons are pure crap, they're made of plywood and don't even have real pickups. Just sponges with silver paint on them and a small spanish man named Pepé inside squealing.
Zakk Wylde. His guitar solos are audio spam. If you wanted to type one out it would look something like this: laierughpuruqweqwertytlolbudsisdjisjdi19301---1001010101939poop********assca SQUEEEEEEEEEEEL efughklasjdngdfsdf;sdgtrt[]'/.
Quote by charlieballc
uh i googled Rosie Palm, nothing except gloves...
Dimebag Darrel.
Hendrix.
Herman Li.
Vai.
Malmsteen.
Michael Angelo, who I believe to be the most horrible guitarist ever.

And Johnny Greenwood sometimes gets too much bummage I think, even though I love his style.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by unholy_love
Usually people have to be a pretty bad guitarist to be overrated..

o·ver·rate (ō'vər-rāt') pronunciation
tr.v., -rat·ed, -rat·ing, -rates.

To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly.

Not really.
Quote by bootyking69
the guys in opeth!! kerry king, john 5, eric clapton, jimmy page, dimebag darrell, kirk hammet, dave mustaine, and the dudes in lamb of god..

I disagree with Clapton and Lamb of God. Listen to the song Ashes of the Wake...
And Slash
Jimmy Page
Dimebag
woah i didnt expect u guys to show up with the greats i mean clapton? slash? hendrix i mean those guys wrote some great stuff....
Dimebag Darrell

Jimmy Page
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

Quote by Ed Hunter
Kirk Hammett
Matt Heafy
Alexi Laiho

alex laiho??!!! are you f**king mad?!!!
Originally Posted by timi_hendrix
Gibsons are pure crap, they're made of plywood and don't even have real pickups. Just sponges with silver paint on them and a small spanish man named Pepé inside squealing.
Quote by Heaven Help Us
woah i didnt expect u guys to show up with the greats i mean clapton? slash? hendrix i mean those guys wrote some great stuff....

Im with this dude.
You must be mentally retarded to think Jimi Hendrix or Jimmy Page are overrated.
ya dimebag sux...page i respect for stairway....trivuim sux...so does dragonforce...but i like malmsteen for his neoclassical sound...i mean hes all shred but i think its pretty interesting
every shredder

Dinobot of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Quote by Stephen Colbert
Now the obvious question here is...

Who's fucking the ponies?

Quote by drop-dead666
Get.. Like he suggested, P-90's. Or you can just buy a hello kitty guitar.
Quote by bootyking69
alex laiho??!!! are you f**king mad?!!!

He's good, but there's far better around and his newer stuff isn't nearly as cool as the older CoB.
Quote by unholy_love
Im with this dude.
You must be mentally retarded to think Jimi Hendrix or Jimmy Page are overrated.

No one said they were rubbish , just overrated. Maybe you don't know the difference ?
Zakk Wylde. If there were no pinch harmonics, there would be no Zakk Wylde. Plus, he absolutely ruins Randy's classic riffs.
whoa, dudes/dudettes, come on here. this thread is basically a one opinion versus the other thread. and anyway, jimi hendrix is in NO way overrated. and who the f*ck said clapton was overrated?? jimmy page, NOT OVERRATED. they deserve every bit of credit they get.

my god, these guys helped make guitar what it is today, and helped refie it, twist it around and give us new sounds.

you guys REALLY need to look a LITTLE deeper into things and not just label a guitarist as overrated because he/she overshadows a guitarist from your favourite band. basically, don't turn this into one giant flame-tacular thread
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by velvet_hendrix
Slash is pretty overrated IMO.

Yeah, that's the first guitarist that comes to mind.

I mean, I admit the solo on Sweet Child 'O Mine was nang but he is not a great guitarist.

I don't think it would be right to say Malmsteen, because although I really dislike his guitar work, he is a great shredder and has a lot of skill and appeals to a large amount of people.
Tony Iommi
Andre Olbrich
Markus Siepen
Dave Murray
Adrian Smith
Janick Gers
Glenn Tipton
K.K. Downing

They all have no talent whatsoever. Shame on them for playing the guitar.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Jul 30, 2007,
Quote by unholy_love
Im with this dude.

i think i love you for saying that. *cough* in a completely manly, brotherly way of course.... *cough*
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
There's only one definitive answer to this thread:

Dimebag Darrell

Quote by darkstar2466
Tony Iommi
Andre Olbrich
Markus Siepen
Dave Murray
Adrian Smith
Janick Gers
Glenn Tipton
K.K. Downing

Adrian Smith, OVERRATED?! Blasphemy! He's incredibly underrated. Same can be said for Murray and Gers, but mostly for H. Have you ever heard Psycho Motel or ASAP? I highly doubt it.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
I can't believe some of the people you guys think are overrated. Dudes like you make me lose faith in the human race.

Anyways, Buckethead is the single most overrated musician that ever was.
Quote by Liberation

Dimebag Darrell

Oh my god..
Dude, play "Cowboys From Hell" start to finish flawlessly.
Lemme' know when you finish.
That guy is like.. incredible, there is no way he is over rated.
whoa, dudes/dudettes, come on here. this thread is basically a one opinion versus the other thread. and anyway, jimi hendrix is in NO way overrated. and who the f*ck said clapton was overrated?? jimmy page, NOT OVERRATED. they deserve every bit of credit they get.

my god, these guys helped make guitar what it is today, and helped refie it, twist it around and give us new sounds.

you guys REALLY need to look a LITTLE deeper into things and not just label a guitarist as overrated because he/she overshadows a guitarist from your favourite band. basically, don't turn this into one giant flame-tacular thread

All Clapton and Page did was steal blues licks and call them their own. Clapton not so much, but I'd still agree with him being overrated. Hendrix was good, but he is overrated. And also, what are you talking about starting a flame thread? YOU'RE the one calling people with a different opinion than you wrong and they need to look deeper into things -.-

Anyways, I'd say the most overrated would be Angus Young.
Quote by Liberation

Dimebag Darrell

Adrian Smith, OVERRATED?! Blasphemy! He's incredibly underrated. Same can be said for Murray and Gers, but mostly for H. Have you ever heard Psycho Motel or ASAP? I highly doubt it.

I was being very very very sarcastic. Notice how all the guitarists I named are from the bands in my sig. They're my favorite guitarists and are in no manner overrated. They deserve every shred of respect from everyone. And yea, I have the ASAP cd. It's very entertaining to hear Adrian sing.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by dgme92

Shush.

Those guitarists are great, no denying it.

But they are surely overrated, particularly amongst non-guitarists. Most people who know nothing about guitar go "well everyone knows that Jimi Hendrix is of course the best guitarist EVER" like it's fact.

I just don't think they necessarily deserve the huge amount of worship they get.
wow u guys are nuts to say people like clapton and hendrix and slash....
i was thinking more like dimebag, and herman li...how can u guys trash the greats...they made guitar what it is.......im disapointed