So basically, my laptop's stopped giving out any sound. None whatsoever. I'm thinking there may be a problem with the soundcard, but I have no idea how to check if it is or not, and if it's fixable. It's not the laptop's speakers, 'cause there's still no sound even with headphones, and external speakers plugged in.

So help?

P.S. Yes, I have made sure all the volume's turned up full and nothing's on mute, before anyone says anything.

P.P.S. I'm not deaf.
Yes. It's a sig. Get over it.

www.myspace.com/maddo69

Yes. It's my rig. Get over it.
Ibanez Apex 2.
ESP F-100FM.
Tanglewood Odyssey.
Boss GT-8 Guitar Effects Pedal.
Marshall MG100HDFX w/ AVT412X cab.
Last edited by metalhead_maddo at Jul 30, 2007,
When you go to the volume panel, check the Wave setting. If it's not up, then you're not gonna get any sound. Come back and tell me if that's the case.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Yeah it's on full. Everything's on full. Haha.

www.myspace.com/maddo69

Ibanez Apex 2.
ESP F-100FM.
Tanglewood Odyssey.
Go to Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Hardware > Click on the name of your soundcard and click on Properties > Driver > Update driver.

Restart your computer. See if it works now.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
am i the first one to suggest rubbing icy hot on it?

Anyway, it could be a connection, it could be the soundcard. I dont know, im not computer savvy. Have you tried your manufacturers customer service? They probobly know better than us.
Go to...

Start, My computer, right click and go to properties, click on the hardware tab, and finally device manager.

If there is something there that talks about your sound card, then click on it to see if it is working properly. If it isn't working properly or there isn't anything there, look up the updated drivers for your sound card on the web which could probably be found on the manufacturer's website.

There are probably more complete tutorials for fixing such things on the web, but I'm not sure where to find one at the moment.
Reboot the system in Safe Mode and do and System Restore to when it did work...it's happened to me before already
Something that ALWAYS works for me when my sound isn't working. If you have msn, go onto your webcam and microphone options, and on the first part there should be a speaker options thing. If you click where it says play sound, it should play the sound. Miraculously, you get all sound back. I know it makes no sense, but it works, try it
Guitars :
Fender American Stratocaster
Jackson RR3
Ibanez S470
Epiphone Les Paul
It says there are no available updates.

www.myspace.com/maddo69

Ibanez Apex 2.
ESP F-100FM.
Tanglewood Odyssey.
if i were my dad, i could tell you exactly whats wrong. but im not. i can ask him. but that would be weird. is it a new laptop? if it is..then thats your problem. if its not new, its most likely the sound card.

try hitting it~
"isnt it good to be lost in the wood, isnt it bad, so quiet there, in the wood?" - syd barrett
Check the volume's up in WMP, or Audacity, or something. It's like the guy who said MSN above, it's strange but it can work.
It's not a particularly new laptop (about three years old. Haha). And surely, if it were my soundcard, my laptop wouldn't be telling me everything was fine and dandy on the subject.

I mean surely if my soundcard was f*cked, my laptop would say "Mate, get yourself a new soundcard"...

...wouldn't it?

www.myspace.com/maddo69

Ibanez Apex 2.
ESP F-100FM.
Tanglewood Odyssey.
F*ck. I had this same problem about three years ago. I don't remember how I fixed it. I'll let you know if I remember.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Gah, I might have to send it away for some healthcare.

Cheers anyway guys.

www.myspace.com/maddo69

Ibanez Apex 2.
ESP F-100FM.
Tanglewood Odyssey.