Page 1 of 2
I have an ebay question.

Why does anyone bid before the last 30 seconds of an auction?

If you place a bid a day before the auction ends, 99% of the time that's not the winning bid, someone else will see it, and then bid higher than your bid.

This idiocy continues up until the auction ends, making the price much higher than it would have been if everyone waited until the last few minutes to bid.

This is obviously good for sellers, but what use does it serve to a buyer to place a bid early, thereby costing himself (or whoever wins) more money?

Is it just because people are impatient and stupid? Do they not realise why this is bad?

Or am I missing something?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Well people want it, really want it, so they bid higher and faster nearer the end to get it... so no one else does it... makes sense doesn't it,

and i guess if you put in an early, cheap bid you might have the chance of no one showing interest and getting a nice a cheap thing belonging to you now.
Quote by MetalHead73
So I, with a broomstick(Just in case) walk right where they can see me and I said:

"You kids ever taken a broom up the ass?"

The look on their face was priceless, and they ran, and I mean ran like a bat out of hell.
Some ebay users have more important things to do than wait, so they bid when they have time, or so they don't forget.

Ebay reminds me of poker, also. It's sort of like the concept of raising to make others lose interest.

And if everyone was a 'sniper', ebay would be like, whoever clicks at the right time wins.

Oh, and theres often a minimum that the seller wants. They keep a reserve, and only start low biddings to provoke interest.

/thread.
Quote by TheGoldenGod
this thread keeps rearing its ugly head. die pube thread, die!
Quote by darkstar2466
Sorry man, you have no knowledge of how the eBay auction process works. Every intelligent person waits till the last minute to bid. Nubs bid way before the auction starts and get pwnd. More badass users like me decide the auction in the final 5 seconds. It's a very complicated technique that is perfected through years of bidding on stuff.

Was that directed at me? Because that's exactly what I do.

Scrubs, I understand people bidding high at the end, but why bid at all when the auction still has days, or even hours left?

I see no point, it only drives the price up, especially if someone decides their bid needs to be higher than yours, even if they know you'll bid again!
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

meh Rai summed it up, things with no interest and no reserve rule though
Quote by MetalHead73
So I, with a broomstick(Just in case) walk right where they can see me and I said:

"You kids ever taken a broom up the ass?"

The look on their face was priceless, and they ran, and I mean ran like a bat out of hell.
Quote by hamish5178
Was that directed at me? Because that's exactly what I do.

Scrubs, I understand people bidding high at the end, but why bid at all when the auction still has days, or even hours left?

I see no point, it only drives the price up, especially if someone decides their bid needs to be higher than yours, even if they know you'll bid again!

Sorry man, I was thinking it but I forgot to type the key part of my argument: "It's because of these said nubs that the price gets way jacked up than it needs to be." Fixed. And I thought you were one of the guys that like to bid earlier. I misread. Forgive I.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I just set a proxy bid of the highest price I am willing to pay. Ebay bids on my behalf. It raises the bid just enough to outbid my competitors till it reaches my max. If I dont win....screw it. If I cant steal it off ebay I will buy it somewhere else.
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
go in about 3 min before the auction ends, put in your maximum bid, and ebay will bid on your behalf up to that point. If you lose, its your fault for not spending more.

EDIT: beaten to it
Quote by Raii
Some ebay users have more important things to do than wait, so they bid when they have time, or so they don't forget.

Ebay reminds me of poker, also. It's sort of like the concept of raising to make others lose interest.

And if everyone was a 'sniper', ebay would be like, whoever clicks at the right time wins.

Oh, and theres often a minimum that the seller wants. They keep a reserve, and only start low biddings to provoke interest.

/thread.

I accept the first one, I can see that happening.

To the second one, yes, that would be the way it works, and whoever was fastest would pay the least and get the item, we live in a Capitalist society, so why are people not trying to pay the least amount of money???

This thread is about my general frustration with this that I've always had, but also about a guitar I want to buy right now, I have yet to bid on it, the auction is over tonight, but several other people already have bid multiple times (in small increments, they weren't trying to scare anyone off) and it is obvious (to me at least) that the people involved will keep bidding over eachother (until I suppose someone decides it's too high)

And this isn't just automatic bidding, you can see that new people have joined the bidding at some points, and where some have dropped out.

edit: the price has already gone from 25 bucks to over 100, the guitar has no reserve.

those people could all have waited till the end of the auction and saved everyone money!
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

You could just set a high maximum bid if you really want it.

OR

if it' probably undesirable to anyone else, or in ****ty condition your probably going to get it anyway, Its not a bargain if what your buying means **** to you.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
The absolute worst thing about eBay is that people get their friends to bid on items to jack up the price. I've seen two of my friends help each other using that method. It's disgusting.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I dont get it either, its rediculous.

If you want something, and no one has bidded on it, dont bid on it. Just make sure your in when it ends and bid then! Biddin one something a week before it ends it stupid really, it just creates intrest and gets the ball rolling, as well as puttin the price up.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by hamish5178

To the second one, yes, that would be the way it works, and whoever was fastest would pay the least and get the item, we live in a Capitalist society, so why are people not trying to pay the least amount of money???

This thread is about my general frustration with this that I've always had, but also about a guitar I want to buy right now, I have yet to bid on it, the auction is over tonight, but several other people already have bid multiple times (in small increments, they weren't trying to scare anyone off) and it is obvious (to me at least) that the people involved will keep bidding over eachother (until I suppose someone decides it's too high)

And this isn't just automatic bidding, you can see that new people have joined the bidding at some points, and where some have dropped out.

The second one, because there is a demand for the item. Thats like saying why not save your money if the bread at the store is more than 99p. The answer is obvious; you need to eat that bread to live. Just like you need those auctioned Barney the dinosaur slippers, for your feet. They're essential. ^_~

IOW, you'd rather pay a little extra to make sure it's you that gets it, rather than have only a small chance.
Quote by TheGoldenGod
this thread keeps rearing its ugly head. die pube thread, die!
Quote by telemonster
I just set a proxy bid of the highest price I am willing to pay. Ebay bids on my behalf. It raises the bid just enough to outbid my competitors till it reaches my max. If I dont win....screw it. If I cant steal it off ebay I will buy it somewhere else.

this guy is totally right as long as you do that the last second bidder still needs to bid higher than your proxy bid unless it is pretty close to what you are willing to pay then you have it caus eit will over bid him automatically lol
song stuck in my head today

Quote by Raii
The second one, because there is a demand for the item. Thats like saying why not save your money if the bread at the store is more than 99p. The answer is obvious; you need to eat that bread to live. Just like you need those auctioned Barney the dinosaur slippers, for your feet. They're essential. ^_~

IOW, you'd rather pay a little extra to make sure it's you that gets it, rather than have only a small chance.

Er, no, you misunderstand me.

If I walked into the store and said "I'll pay 1 dollar in 2 days!" and the next guy said "Well I'll do 2!"

We both want the bread, so we'll both keep raising our bids, if we both came in at the last minute, slapped down how much we're willing to spend, and see who wins, it would save time, effort, and in some cases money.

Money, because people often get wrapped up in bidding wars, because they want their bid to be the winning one, even before the end of the auction, it's dumb.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by hamish5178

edit: the price has already gone from 25 bucks to over 100, the guitar has no reserve.

those people could all have waited till the end of the auction and saved everyone money!

Some basic economics here. Consumers will consume to where their willingness to pay equals the price of that good. Because everyone has a different willingness to pay people are willing to buy at different prices. Lets say you earn $1000 a year, you will be willing to pay less than someone earning $100,000 a year. They don't mind bidding early because it puts people with a lower willingness to pay off buying the good, and it doesn't harm them (relatively).

Quote by hamish5178
We both want the bread, so we'll both keep raising our bids, if we both came in at the last minute, slapped down how much we're willing to spend, and see who wins, it would save time, effort, and in some cases money.

The person who is willing to pay the most should be the one who buys the good. Game theory comes in to it to an extent. In your example, because both people wouldn't know what the other is willing to pay (assuming as you say the seller hasn't fixed a price), they would (if they were rational) pay the highest price they were willing to pay to ensure they get the good - not saving anything. If you and the person that wins the auction for your guitar did this, the person that wins the auction will in theory still be the one who buys it in the shop as they are willing to pay the most.
Last edited by Kiwi Ace at Jul 30, 2007,
I think the main thing the ts is missing is that not everyone can be online exactly when the auction ends. Having it run for a period of several days allows people to be able to place a bid if they so wish.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

your probably a seller and wonder why people do that. anyways, bidding at the last second is like an adrenaline rush, like the dude a few posts back said, its like poker
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
too much economical talk is happening here. i would think it smart of some people make 2 accounts... sell **** on one bid on theyre own stuff to crank the price using the other?
ehh
........ It's called autobid, friends.

If it goes higher than you're willing to pay, you don't pay. The other guy obviously had more money than you.

When you use this feature, when you bid makes no difference. Unlike in the good ol' days; when you could snag victory out of someone's had by a mere well timed dollar.
Dude you don't understand how to bid on ebay if you think people are getting deceived by people not bidding till the last 30 seconds. What you're suppose to do is set a max bid, the most amount of money you'd be willing to pay and then have it just add the minimum amount of money bidded whenever you get outbid.
Example: Guitar for sale starting at $20
You decide you'll pay $100 at most
It will automaticly bid $21
Some guy wants the guitar too. He bids $80.
Your bid will then go up to $81.

Anyways the point is who cares when they bid, the timing of other people's bids won't matter as long as you set a max bid and that way you'll either get it for the price you wanted to get it for or you'll be out bidded. Who cares if they waited till the last 30 seconds. You set your max price, they set it higher. If they did it 5 hours earlier then you wouldn't have gone back and bid higher would you? If you would then you're just getting tooled.

Edit: Vermintide knows what I'm talking about.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Quote by E Daws
Dude you don't understand how to bid on ebay if you think people are getting deceived by people not bidding till the last 30 seconds. What you're suppose to do is set a max bid, the most amount of money you'd be willing to pay and then have it just add the minimum amount of money bidded whenever you get outbid.
Example: Guitar for sale starting at $20
You decide you'll pay $100 at most
It will automaticly bid $21
Some guy wants the guitar too. He bids $80.
Your bid will then go up to $81.

Anyways the point is who cares when they bid, the timing of other people's bids won't matter as long as you set a max bid and that way you'll either get it for the price you wanted to get it for or you'll be out bidded. Who cares if they waited till the last 30 seconds. You set your max price, they set it higher. If they did it 5 hours earlier then you wouldn't have gone back and bid higher would you? If you would then you're just getting tooled.

Look at the post above.

Edit: Yes I do
Last edited by Vermintide at Jul 30, 2007,
Why does everyone keep saying I don't know what autobid is?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

When you bid, you put in the highest amount you'd pay for the item. Ebay will only bid enough to have the highest bid on your behalf. I never bid in the last 30 seconds, yet I win bids all the time. Maybe because I know what I'll pay for an item and bid on it at the start.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by i have to pee
When you bid, you put in the highest amount you'd pay for the item. Ebay will only bid enough to have the highest bid on your behalf. I never bid in the last 30 seconds, yet I win bids all the time. Maybe because I know what I'll pay for an item and bid on it at the start.

Yeah but say an item is $20, someone comes along, see's no other bids near the last hour of an auction, so they set their maximum at say $40.

Then in the last minute you come in and bid over them and win.

Not everyone puts the maximum of what they're willing to pay as the bid, so if you don't bid early on, they won't know you're interested.

If they came, bid 40 at the beginning of the auction, and you out-bid them, maybe they'll raise their bid?

And then when the end of the auction comes any new bidders will see the high interest and set their bids even higher.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by hamish5178

Not everyone puts the maximum of what they're willing to pay as the bid,

Sorry, but in that case, they're just ****ing stupid. That's what it's there for. It's their own fault if somebody pwns them.

Pure and simple.

If someone is willing to pay higher, they do. This is what autobid is FOR, to stop people sniping like you're saying.
Quote by darkstar2466
The absolute worst thing about eBay is that people get their friends to bid on items to jack up the price. I've seen two of my friends help each other using that method. It's disgusting.

I do that. If my friends are out I bid my own item up with another account. Hope that pissed you off some more
One of the main reasons is because some sellers close the auction early if they arent getting any bids to avoid the ebay seller fees.

I've seem this happen before. Hell, if I had of been one those "stupid people" and put a bid on early a few days before it ended, I'd have got an Engl Screamer. But ohhhh noooo, I had to be Mr. Cunning and wait to the last minute. "Haha! Im going to wait till the dieing seconds, no one will ever think of that, Im a genious!". I ended up with a marshall JCM900 .

seriously though, lots of others will be doing the same as you, so why not bid early, at least that way youll know if someones willing to pay more than you, so you don't get your hopes up.
Quote by Vermintide
Sorry, but in that case, they're just ****ing stupid. That's what it's there for. It's their own fault if somebody pwns them.

Pure and simple.

If someone is willing to pay higher, they do. This is what autobid is FOR, to stop people sniping like you're saying.

i really wanted to come in here and explain how ebay works but you went ahead and ruined it by saying pretty much everything i was going to.

that was a compliment.
So, basically the TS's gripe is that the sellers on eBay might be getting a half-decent price for their sh*t?
I don't really see what the problem is? I late bid on stuff all the time, it's the best way to get the best price if no one has bid yet. If loads of people have already bid then I use autobid at my maximum price and if somone pays more than that then fair play, they've just got ripped off.

What I hate, is when I'm selling stuff and it'll say like 80 people have visited and 9 are watching, yet it doesn't sell.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by MightyAl
So, basically the TS's gripe is that the sellers on eBay might be getting a half-decent price for their sh*t?

I'm not complaining about the price of things, I'm saying it doesn't make sense from a consumers standpoint.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Has anyone ever seen someone bid over the retail price of an item? I've seen it a few times and it's hilairous.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Page 1 of 2