So my friend just said that if I jump from .9 to .11 I'll warp my neck, he says I need to adjust the bridge for tension or I'm screwed. Is this true? If so, anyone have links or w/e so I can adjust it myself?
it will probably pull the neck a little. make it more of a banana shape. you wont know if ull have to adjust it until u put them on tho.

also if u have a trem it will most likely lift alittle and need to be tightened. there are screws and springs in the back cavity.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
No.

I've made that jump before, and my guitars are/were fine.

It'll need to be set up, but it won't warp your neck.
Quote by Pacifica112J
No.

I've made that jump before, and my guitars are/were fine.

It'll need to be set up, but it won't warp your neck.

"being set up" includes adjusting the truss-rod to accomodate the extra tension of the higher guage. Just measure the neck relief, change to the new strings, let the guitar sit overnight (in tune) and recheck the neck relief. If the neck relief increased, you need to adjust the truss-rod. If you don't feel comfy doing this stuff yourself, just take it to a shop and ask them to set it up with 11's. You should be able to find lessons on how to set up your guitar on this website.

So, in other words, it is possible to "warp" the neck - but it wouldn't be anything that's irreversible.

Another thing to consider is how the strings fit in the grooves of the nut. If the fit is too tight, the string can get hung up on the nut, causing intonation and tuning problems.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Yes it will, it will make your neck look like (. bring it to a shop to set it up and file the nut so the strings will fit
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
^ it wont make ur guitar look like (

and more than likely, you wont need to file anything. it's just 11's, not 13's.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Thicker strings will increase the tension on your neck and cause it to bow a bit. This is NOT considered warping at all, and this bowing is totally normal.

Whenever you change string gauges, you ALWAYS need a FULL setup, regardless of whether you're moving to a heavier or lighter gauge. This is completely normal, and that's what the truss rod in your neck is for. If going to heavier strings, the truss rod will have to be tightened a bit to compensate for the extra tension. If going to lighter strings, then it will have to be loosened to compensate for the lower tension.

And your bridge has little to do with this unless you have a Floyd Rose. And even then, all the bridge adjustments in the world won't prevent the extra bowing of the neck with heavier strings. Either you understood your friend wrong, or he's an idiot.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I hope to god you don't have a Floyd Rose. If you do you might have to invest in stronger springs in the back cavity.

Quote by Crunchmeister
Thicker strings will increase the tension on your neck and cause it to bow a bit. This is NOT considered warping at all, and this bowing is totally normal.

Whenever you change string gauges, you ALWAYS need a FULL setup, regardless of whether you're moving to a heavier or lighter gauge. This is completely normal, and that's what the truss rod in your neck is for. If going to heavier strings, the truss rod will have to be tightened a bit to compensate for the extra tension. If going to lighter strings, then it will have to be loosened to compensate for the lower tension.

And your bridge has little to do with this unless you have a Floyd Rose. And even then, all the bridge adjustments in the world won't prevent the extra bowing of the neck with heavier strings. Either you understood your friend wrong, or he's an idiot.

Crunchy and Jenny for the win!

BUT...you can do the setup yourself.

There are various articles about intonation and basic setup...I believe Jenny has a good one on this very site.

When adjusting the truss rod, a quarter to half turn will usually take care of any excess relief in the neck, but it depends on the truss rod and the neck. My '63 reissue strat needed about 2-3 full turns to dial out the bow in the neck.
Quote by Phillitalian
Yes it will, it will make your neck look like (. bring it to a shop to set it up and file the nut so the strings will fit

How would filing the nut affect the shape of the neck at all?!

I've made a jump from .10 to .15 on my strat, no problems other than fret buzz all over the place. I did have to get the neck adjusted slightly and I'm not sure, I might have put another spring in the trem as well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Witch-king
I hope to god you don't have a Floyd Rose. If you do you might have to invest in stronger springs in the back cavity.

Hmm i have 13's on my kelly with a licensed floyd. It only has the 3 springs that came with the floyd. Should i have gotten more/stronger ones? I adjusted the tension by loosening the screws and adjusting the truss rod a bit.
Quote by Chaosinborn
Hmm i have 13's on my kelly with a licensed floyd. It only has the 3 springs that came with the floyd. Should i have gotten more/stronger ones? I adjusted the tension by loosening the screws and adjusting the truss rod a bit.

As long as it floats parallel to the guitar body it doesn't matter how many springs you have.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
As long as it floats parallel to the guitar body it doesn't matter how many springs you have.

Correct. For the most part you can just adjust the tension by tightening the spring screws. Another option is that's not enough is to connect the2 outer springs at an angle. That way you get a bit of extra tension. Usually it's not required though.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor