i kind of want to make my own little tune. I'm Indian (india) and want to know if any1 knew any scales that go for that kind of sound. I've been messing around and i have alot of notes that sound good together but i want to know if their any scales? trying to make it sound metal but with a little Eastern sound for some of the parts. thanks
LOL
there's one scale that I use to sound vaguely eastern in the key of A. It's: A Bb C# D E F
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
arabian scales but it sounds like surf stuff believe me but you can force a nice middle eastern sound like in pay the man by the offpsring or something if that works or oriental scales maybe
Quote by nasstyman
i don't do drugs but i fook like a pronstar and i drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney....
hmmm not going middle eastern, have you guys of the Indian string instrument sitar? that giant thing, like those kinds of sounds. sorry i know iam not explaining it really well. I'am sure you guys heard Hangar 18 right, how Friedman does the 3 and 4 solo. They have a very eastern feel to them compared to Dave aggressive sound like holy war solo.
also thanks for that song Pay the man, trying to play it right now and figure out some sounds.
LOL
i'm writing a song with that india feel, it's just based on a diminished chord using a scale with a flat 3rd, 5th and 7th (yes, 10 notes in a scale)
Yeah!

A fellow indian!

Haha, sorry, I can't help ya with your question, but I just had to post in this thread because you're indian.

~blakkin
LOL Just buy a Sitar... But if you are low on cash and would rather be creative... try bending two notes together in an octave... I get a little carried away with that stuff...

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
There are certain scales for that music, which are based on religious elements rather than tonality. They also sometimes use quarter tones. I don't know them.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
dont sitars have a lot of strings that are tuned to the same thing (or octaves??) to get that droney sort of sound? maybe that would help.

sorry, cant help you too much on scales, but if you have a bit of wonga the Roland GR-20 synth pedal has a pretty cool sitar synth setting.
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
Theres the raga scale. My mum made me learn a song in that . Warning it's hard. I'm an indian too. I see you are sikh (looks at username) same here! The raga has a more hinduish feel to it though...
Last edited by sunnysayshi at Jul 31, 2007,
Go get guitar pro and look at the scale lists. They have a bunch and it plays for you so you can see if its the kind of sound you want. I dont know if i its against the rules to talk about lets say downloading a cracked copy of Guitar Pro 5 from a torrent :hint hint: If you dont know what a torrent is PM me
I have a cd of Ravi Shankar, and in the liner notes it describes various raga scales. Raga is different from a scale in that it uses (sometimes) completely different notes depending whether you are going up or down. I would look those up, but also I sometimes play a raga sounding thing where i drone on the d string or a string, and then on the string above it (g or d depending on the droning note) play around with the following frets: 2,3,5,7,8,11,12,14,15. It sounds really cool and that might help you out.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
thanks for the site man! iam check em out and some other scales for Persian, and Roman. I'm going to try to get these notes and make a little metal tune if it works out, prolly with a Heavy riff and then with a eastern sounding part and solol's! thanks again for the help people!
LOL
well, i dont exactly have proof that this is true, but ive heard that traditional indian music doesnt even use semitones at all. but try the harmonic minor, that seems to work.
Quote by AlecMag
You have made a potentially boring thread epic. Be proud.

Quote by rabidguitarist
deanwad could be right, actually.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
usually the natural minor sounds fine to me.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
The weapon you mean? It was okay, buy slightly over trebley. I've been thinking about buying a sitar, does anyone know how they are tuned?
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Buy a sitar.
But seriously, there are arabian scales.
Also harmonic(middle easterny-arabian sounding) and melodic minor.
isn't indian music based on a completely different set of pitches where their aren't semi tones and tones, its split into like 3 divisions per note?