hey guys, i'm pretty new to this forum. i've been playin guitar for about 6 months and i've learned a lot from this site, but i was hoping some actual people could help me with some of my technical challenges. my notation might not be perfect but i figure you guys can figure it out. anyways, here's the deal:

i'm having trouble singing and playing at the same time, especially when the rhythm i'm playing is different from the vocal rhythm. i get caught up in what my mouth is doing.

for example there's a part in "you're so last summer" by taking back sunday where the rhythm is the F#5 power chord on the low E string (with the octave) going 1&2&3 (1/8rest) 1&2&3 (1/8) 1&2, and the lyrics are "1cuz &i'm 2a &wish3ful &thin1ker &with 2the &worst 3in1&2ten3tions" with a 1&2&3&1&2&3-(1&2)-3 rhythm.1&2&3&1& i always get screwed up and end up playing the last three slashes with the same rhythm as the 3-(1&2)-3 vocal rhythm.

or there's brown eyed girl that i have trouble with. i'm sure some of you guys kinda know how that goes.

if there's any kind of mental of physical practice that can help me separate the two rhythms or get this right somehow that you guys know of, please help me out. anything you can give me is appreciated.

thanks

brandon
just practice your ass off bro. slow yourself down, practice the guitar part until its embedded in your muscle memory. Then you should be able to sing without even having to think about the guitar part.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom with EMGs
I have the same problem with some songs. I've been playing guitar for about 15 years, singing live since I was about 7, and playing bass, guitar and singing professionally for the last 8 years or so, so I'm no slouch. When a song comes up like that, I have to slow everything down and just do it over and over again until I get it right. If there are any tricks or shortcuts, I'd love to know them. But, all I can really tell you is just do it until it works. What's really funny is that when I get used to singing and playing a song at the same time, I can no longer do one without the other. When someone sings a song I normally do while I play bass, I always screw it up.
Can you sing along to simpler rhythms? Coz if that song is ur first attempt u'll def hav some trouble. Start simple, IMO the best song to get you started is dammit by blink 182. But yeh, as i said, only if ur completely new to it.
Quote by dispreferred
Can you sing along to simpler rhythms? Coz if that song is ur first attempt u'll def hav some trouble. Start simple, IMO the best song to get you started is dammit by blink 182. But yeh, as i said, only if ur completely new to it.

yeah i can do soco amaretto lime by brand new no problem because it's all 8th slashes in 4-4 except for a 1&2-3&4-1 and i've tried a couple other songs by tbs that get a little tricky. the thing is the singer for tbs doesn't play at all, so it's easier for him. and i'm not trying to start a tbs tribute band but i think if i could play that kinda stuff, it'd be a lot easier to play and sing my own stuff. but thanks for the blink reccomendation, i'll try it out.
i've been singing it for years because it was a favorite of mine in hs, and i learned the guitar part about 2 months ago and i've been playing it about every day since then.