I have a les paul studio, and at the moment its no good for trying to play metal. The tuning stability is a big problem. I've had it set up by the best luthiers and it still doesnt hold tune for nearly long enough. Also its not that comfortable to play. So I was wondering if there are suggestions for how I can make it nicer to play, and fix my tuning problem.
Ive seen the locking machine heads, but I would also need to lock my strings at the bridge and I havent seen anything like that for les pauls yet. I thought maybe scalloping my frets might help with playability, but I'm wondering would it affect tapping and techniques like that ?
thnx
you could always buy a new one? because it soudsn like your probs gonna spend a fair bit. also the locking machine heads sounds good, but i have no idea if it's possible to slap a floyd rose on a les paul :S. also what kind of string you using?
Quote by abyssalghost
you could always buy a new one? because it soudsn like your probs gonna spend a fair bit. also the locking machine heads sounds good, but i have no idea if it's possible to slap a floyd rose on a les paul :S. also what kind of string you using?

just erine ball 11's. And ye does look like its gonna cost alot. I have about £400 saved which isnt enough for the next best option is a Ibanez RG 2550e prestige. I cant sell the les paul for more than £400 so that would be a £500 loss, and its less than a year old, which is to much of a loss for me. I think the guitar markets bottomed out.
Its not really a floyd rose im after. Just the double locking part of it. I dont need a whammy bar.
As far as your scalloping frets idea goes I heard it feels like you're playing with really high action. Personally I find tapping and stuff easier with it lower so IMO scalloping wouldn't be a good idea. Then again what do I know I never played a scalloped fretboard...

Edit: I also read string bending is a lot more touchy.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
You don't need double locking on a hard-tail guitar. Locking tuners should fix your tuning stability problems. And they're cheap only like 30pounds??

As for comfortable-ness. Maybe you should've made a better choice when you bought the guitar and researched it better? Scalloping your frets will only make playing harder, not make your guitar any more comfortable.
Quote by TheDev01dOne
You don't need double locking on a hard-tail guitar. Locking tuners should fix your tuning stability problems. And they're cheap only like 30pounds??

As for comfortable-ness. Maybe you should've made a better choice when you bought the guitar and researched it better? Scalloping your frets will only make playing harder, not make your guitar any more comfortable.

Oh, didnt realise that. That comes out alot cheaper than I expected then. Does anyone have any recommendations for what locking tuners to get. So far I've seen alot of sperzel and grover tuners. Well I've heard no one recommend scalloping so I guess thats not the way to go. Looking at the neck I think could possibly sand it down a bit.
Thinking about it, I'm going to have to change my pickups to. I need something warm and jazzy, not like the shimmering sound I get at the moment. I know I can roll back the tone and volume, but still doesnt sound right. And I need almost telecaster twang at the bridge, something thats going to bring out the playing dynamics. any ideas anyone thnx
Uh Yeah I'd say go Sperzels or Planet Waves auto-trim locking tuners. I'm not a fan of grovers really but they're probably just as good an option anyway.

As for the neck, you can sand it if you want it thinner but keep in mind you'll have to do it very, very, very slowly and carefully so you keep it even and don't go too far and weaken the whole neck. Also it will completely ruin the value of the guitar forever.

You'll probably have to re-finish it if/when you're finished aswell.
I'll have a luthier do it then. Dont want to devalue my guitar any more. I'm looking for tuners, but it says the les paul studios peg hole size is 0.404" and I cant find any that big. Is the size I get important ? Do I need to get something slightly bigger ?