Thats a strat, though unfortunately the newer strats aren't as well made as the ones from a few years ago. I have one thats about 5 years old and it plays pretty nice for what it is. The newer ones feel cheap
cheers is there anything that you would reccommend that is better for around the price range instead then or is it ok for a begginer.

and also what is not so good about the new ones? is it just the wood or the sound quality too?
My first electric was one of the bullet guitars which are pretty much just a strat and it was great to learn on, obviously it's not the greatest guitar in the world, but it does the job just fine!
Look for an old Korean or Japanese Strat, around 1990ish. They're a lot better quality than the Chinese Strats made today.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
if your going to buy a squire get a California Strat they're pretty reliable. But i would recommend not going for a squire and getting a cheap ibanez instead
I'd recommend a Yamaha Pacifica. Great beginningers guitar, the neck wood is extremely high quality which means it'll last for a long time, there's literally THOUSANDS of modification choices as well. I've already added a new bridge, better pickups, thicker stringers and lock in machine heads. As your experience improves you'll want better tone, won't you? The feel of the guitar is amazing as well.

To get as good a quality wood as what is in that neck you'd have to buy a guitar worth thousands of dollars.

Anyway, that's just my opinion...
yamaha pacifica would be a pretty good choice.

Or Ibanez GAX guitars are in a similar price range.

but a word of advice, dont get a guitar from argos. go to a proper music store, they can help you with things like setup and could offer way better guitar related advice than argos can (provided they arent elitist dicks, like some guitar shop workers are).
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
Quote by METAL MILITIA1
if your going to buy a squire get a California Strat they're pretty reliable. But i would recommend not going for a squire and getting a cheap ibanez instead

my school has some yamaha pacificas but anyways, i rkn the ibanez wuld be nice renowned and reputable brand cant go wrong.
Having owned both a Yamaha and a Squier, I'd have the Squier every time.

Make sure you buy a good quality one - I took a friend along, as I knew nothing about guitars when I started out, he made sure it was a good one - it was set up pretty much perfectly, and even though I've now bought a MIA tele, I still play the Squier all the time (although it's heavily modded now), and the Yamaha is long gone - not that it was a BAD guitar, just not as good as the Squier, and my wife wouldn't let me keep them all!

EDIT: You aren't really going to find much of a difference between any of the budget brands to be honest - I've got an Epiphone G310 SG as well, and that's no better or worse than any of the other budget ones.