I really like that song, not just because it's a wonderful song, but also because the notes Steve Vai is using, they seem.. different, not usally used in modern music.

So I would like to know the scale that Steve Vai is using in that song
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul w/ Killswitch
Fender 12-string Acoustic
Fender Champion300 (to be changed soon to a Tube Amp)
Ibanez TS-9 Overdrive pedal
Boss PW-10 pedal
It's E Natural Minor with some add# chords stuck in. (Though, there is bits that go out of that scale, like the repeated licks bit...some of that goes Chromatic.)

It's the chords in the background that make it sound...middle eastern.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Last edited by La Qotsa at Jul 31, 2007,
I never thought it sounded middle eastern at all... just very emotional, very sad. Like a soldier who has lost the war, but refuses to give up fighting... thats how it makes me feel at least.

I think his music does sound different though -- I think music like that is what classical music would be if bach, mozart, and other classical composers were alive today, with modern instruments and techniques (distortion, artificial harmonics, electric amplification). Eastern and middle eastern music is totally different imo...
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by spiroth10
I never thought it sounded middle eastern at all... just very emotional, very sad. Like a soldier who has lost the war, but refuses to give up fighting... thats how it makes me feel at least.

I think his music does sound different though -- I think music like that is what classical music would be if bach, mozart, and other classical composers were alive today, with modern instruments and techniques (distortion, artificial harmonics, electric amplification). Eastern and middle eastern music is totally different imo...

If you don't think those chords sound middle eastern, then what do they sound?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010