Hi UG! Recently I've been having problems playing the main riff to Cowboys from Hell by Pantera. I can play most of the solo, its just that riff and the timing to the tab that is getting me messed up. Any suggestions? I know I can play fast enough, its just the ryhthym is making me pause when I go to the next string.

BTW- I got my guitar on April 11 2006 and never took any lessons so I don't understand anything about theory and keys and such
Schecter Daimen FR Special
Guitar Rig 3
i done the same as you, i had sort of teacher help me but i just left the theory and played whatever i could (you know that **** songs you think are good at the time) now im getting better and better at scales i can nearly improvise like a bitch so yeh THEORY, you should jsut practise or use a metronome or maybe just tap your foot, helps alot
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Is a metronome really necessary? I've never used one before and I don't own one either. Although I do own a multi-fx (which sucks) but has a drum machine that I put on when I do improv (its fun but I suck)
Guitar Rig 3
Quote by CelestialChaos
Try the guitar pro or power tab versions, and practice it slow so your hands know it, then try to add the rhythm to it.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. It's really a pretty tough, weird riff. If you have Guitar Pro, there's a "speed trainer" feature where it will loop through the song and speed up on each loop. It's really quite helpful.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
thanks guys. but where to get guitar pro for free? i remember i saw a thread on it but the download thing didn't work for me. it became a window's media player file
Guitar Rig 3
Is a metronome really necessary? I've never used one before and I don't own one either.

Well, I was struggling with this very riff, so I stuck to a metronome at a slower tempo and now I have it down.
Quote by kelvinxkelvin
thanks guys. but where to get guitar pro for free? i remember i saw a thread on it but the download thing didn't work for me. it became a window's media player file

There is a 15 day trial but thats theres no real legal way to get it for free
Quote by The Wicked End
There is a 15 day trial but thats theres no real legal way to get it for free

you can download it off limewire or a similar program for free buts thts not legal
Quote by Black_fire
you can download it off limewire or a similar program for free buts thts not legal

Isn't that what he said?