As my search for my amp continues I ran across this Carvin R1000 Head and BR410 Cab The cab is rated at 800w at 8 ohms and head is rated at 1000w @ 4 ohms or 700w @ 8 ohms when bridged. I know that you're supposed to match the ohms but what exactly does bridging mean and if I got this amp should I even bother doing it?
bridging is basically hooking up the + side of one channel to the - side of the other. this makes it so all the power is running through one channel. the amp probably comes with instructions on how to do this with the amp since its a feature of the amp. ive never done it with a guitar or bass amp but i have done it many times in car audio installations.
So would it hurt the amp any if I just left it at 4 Ohms and the cab at 8 Ohms? I do alot more mechanic work than electric so I don't really understand a whole lot about it
it shouldnt be a problem, as long as the amp's ohms are lower than the cab's ohms, it should be fine, you'll just get a little less power with an 8 ohm cab than a 4 ohm.

(an amp has an easier time pushing power into a smaller load, thus the amp can push more power through the 4 ohm than the 8 ohm.)

be sure to not put more power into the cab than it can handle though, it will be destroyed.
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
Mmk thanks for your help. I think I'll end up buying the Carvin it's cheaper and has more power than the other amps I was looking at and I've heard nothing but good things about them
yeah you will be fine the amp pushes 700W at 8 ohms ad the Ohms is determined by youre speakers if you have a 8 Ohm cabthe max you can push is 700W and w/a 4 ohm cab the max you can push is 1000W
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Ya... also i'm pretty sure with all carvin head's that there will be three plug is the back.....1 for the high amp....1 for the low amp..... and 1 for bridged(not truly sure about the redline series but i'm pretty sure) so it should be as easy as just plugging into the jack that says "bridged" above it. and as emergancy exit said if you plug the eight ohm cab into the head it will instantly be set at 8 ohms in the head because ....... that's just how electrical signals work...i guess.

EDIT: just so there's no confusion there will actually probably be 6 jacks back there. There will be 3 for regular 1/4" jacks(normal guitar cable) and 3 for Speakon Cables. In the Carvin manuals it says you will actually get a bit more power out of the Speakon Cables if you want to pay for them.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by thunderbritches
So would it hurt the amp any if I just left it at 4 Ohms and the cab at 8 Ohms? I do alot more mechanic work than electric so I don't really understand a whole lot about it

The amp has no ohms. Ohms are a measure of electrical energy taken from a given current. With me so far? So therefore the cab dictates the ohms because it is taking the energy from the circuit. Still here? The amp can push 1000 watts into 4 ohms because there is less resistance to the current and the cab is taking less of the current, therefore the leftover current can be used to pump more volume. That's basically it if that physics unit left anything with me.
Quote by thunderbritches
Mmk thanks for your help. I think I'll end up buying the Carvin it's cheaper and has more power than the other amps I was looking at and I've heard nothing but good things about them

I used to have the R1000, its good for its reasonable price. Lots of power, but not the best tone.
Thanks jazzy that helped me understand alot more than anything else i've read.

Sly you say it didn't have very good tone, but I don't have the opportunity to try one out so could you tell me some things that you really didn't like about it
The tone isnt that bad, it has a graphic EQ which is useful. Just doesnt compare to the Ampeg im currently using.
Does anything compare to an Ampeg? But thank you for the help, I'm using a Fender Rumble 100 so i'm not really used to having a great tone. My friends dad has one of these and I've heard him play live and I thought it sounded really good, well it was no Ampeg or even GK but I think I can dial it in to what I need